Thread: A Question About The "Lurkers"

A Question About The "Lurkers"

Hey diggers,

I am just wondering why the vast majority of members on this site do not post or even comment on posts?

We have over 2,600 members and yet it's the same 25 or so people making all the posts and all the comments! Am I to believe that over 2,600 members do not own metal detectors, cameras, or never make any finds?

A quick review of the monthly award voting polls shows an average of 22 people voting on best coin, best relic, and best jewelry. That's 22 out of 2,600+ members! Why so much apathy?

I look forward to everyone's comments. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I have noticed the same thing. The answer is probably a complex one tho. I don't always vote for monthly finds altho I have. Some I am sure join for a season and then put the detector away. I haven't seen people posting specifics to locations, maybe pictures at the site, but that doesn't help trollers looking for places. Idk, were you looking for someone who doesn't post to give you an answer or expecting someone that does post to put a guess?

I suspect that most folks on this forum are also members of several other MDing forums. I used to post all the time on 3 other forums. Just don't have the time anymore. I like AD the best, so that's where I spend my time. I'll pop in now and then on the other forums just to see what's been coming out of the ground, but I guess I would be considered a lurker on those other forums now.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I agree with you Dave. It's always the same people participating. There have been a few new members in the last few months that have been posting their finds.
    I for one, enjoy seeing and reading them. I'm sure there have been people have joined on a whim and never returned, but not 2000 !!
    I have been on the forum for over a year and I can honestly say I check in everyday. I look forward to seeing what people have posted.
    I will say this however, I have visited other forums with ton of members and even though growth is good, I like the fact that AD is smaller and more Friendly.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    I agree with you Dave. It's always the same people participating. There have been a few new members in the last few months that have been posting their finds.
    I for one, enjoy seeing and reading them. I'm sure there have been people have joined on a whim and never returned, but not 2000 !!
    I have been on the forum for over a year and I can honestly say I check in everyday. I look forward to seeing what people have posted.
    I will say this however, I have visited other forums with ton of members and even though growth is good, I like the fact that AD is smaller and more Friendly.
    I have to agree with you Don I like the fact we have a nice small group of Detectorist I feel like I know everyone here but I've never met any of you guys
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

"I like the fact that AD is smaller and more Friendly." Absolutely agree there Don.
    I hope many people are gleaning information from our site...but I have to say I think many of these "lurkers" are ourselves leaving cell phones and tablets hooked up to AD. I know my friends sometimes leave a device set to AD and it shows them connected with the green dot when they have been sleeping for hours.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Dave , unfortunately this is common on all forums . The bigger ones have huge numbers of membership but only a fraction of them participate on a regular basis , I think our percentage of participants as a whole ranks right up there or even better than the larger forums. AD seems more close nit as a group and posts don't seem to get as lost as they do on the bigger boards.

You Lurkers are more then welcome to "come out of the shadows" and join a great group of people .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I used to be on another forum years ago,had a lot to say there, wore my fingers down to a frazzle asking dumb questions, I just look at the finds of other people now.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

I have been a Lurker lately I have to admit. I check in from tome to time but for the most part I have been busy with work and travel. I do look forward to getting the chance to see what everyone has found. I also enjoy being part of a forum that feels so much like a bunch of close friends.
    One of my real thoughts about limited number of people who respond is that these are people that are thoughtful enough to encourage others and often chime in with a word of praise and a welcome to the Newbs. those things take time and commitment to a great hobby.
    Thanks to all the Non-Lurkers who make the forum a great place.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

I understand "lurkers". I usually check to see what members are on-line, and there are usually many who don't really post much. That's okay with me. Each has his/her niche in a nice forum like this one... some like to post a lot and others don't.

There's room for everyone here.

HH
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

i have to admit i do not post any more but it is because i am not able to hunt a lot i know some that worry about others finding out where they go and things like that so they are reluctant to post i myself find myself only answering a few from mostly the older members that i have talked to and replied to their post it is not because i dont read them i do i just feel more comfortable with the ones i have known personal quirk i hope to get out next year if i can a little more another reason is me and my group that i hunt with find that we have to travel a lot farther from home our area has had a lot of detectorits in the past and it has gotten quite a bit harder to make good finds

I am a new member and love reading posts. I have posted a few things but have not been out in 2 weeks to have anything to report.
    My detector went back to whites for repairs and have not detected for two weeks. Will post any news when I get a chance to hunt.
    This hobby is no fun if there is nobody to share our achievements of finds with. Sometimes we hunt alone and find something and there
    is nobody with me to "hi five" with. Online forums give md folk a place to not brag but get a "hi five" from people that share the same
    interest. I am not afraid somebody will steal my area. It is like finding gold now. The easy gold is gone and it takes more research and
    skill, and better equipment to find the items that are deep and out of the way. Thus for me it is the hunt and the find that makes it exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    I suspect that most folks on this forum are also members of several other MDing forums. I used to post all the time on 3 other forums. Just don't have the time anymore. I like AD the best, so that's where I spend my time. I'll pop in now and then on the other forums just to see what's been coming out of the ground, but I guess I would be considered a lurker on those other forums now.
    Exactly my situation ! I am also registered on French forums (I am moderator for one of them), I am also a member of the French National Council for Metal Detecting and I created a Facebook Page that has now over a 1,000 fans. (And which is also linked to a Twitter account that has over 200 followers). I try to pop in as often as I can on every forum. Also being very busy at work these days (and with my children, 3yo and almost 5yo !), I cannot post as often as I would like to. These past weeks, I have mostly been reading the forums. Even though it is not a very active participation, it is still very much enjoyable to be able to read what the others are sharing. 99% of the time, I am so glad to see what they find... Last 1% is just me being a little jealous of all the great finds !! but nicely jealous LOL

Lately, I also spent a few hours translating subtitles in French for every episode of the first season of "Detectorists". I then shared that with my fellow French detectorists

The only reason this account is kind of a lurker, with an occasional post here and there, is because me and my dad hunt together, so most of my finds and such are posted on there, so I'm not very active on this account.

I haven't gotten much detecting time this year. Most of the stuff is average clad and not many surprises this year, unlike last year. I am also computer challenged so if I do find something to brag about, I have to try to get a decent picture, and then get my wife to post it for me. I do read most of the posts made by others.

I am guilty of lurking. I just don't have much to say. But was just thinking the other day that I need to be more active on here. Have not found much lately worth posting a photo. I do appreciate everyone's effort to keep this a good forum. Happy hunting and Happy New Year.
    For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Matthew 6:21

As someone who has participated in many, many forums from motorcycle to musician, guns and shooting to historical, you're issue is common. Not much different than a club where only a small percentage of the members attend meetings or participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    mee too, what he said
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

I also view three other Mding forums but a good amount of time is spent on the Pontiac forum I am a member of. I stay logged in on all the sites so it may appear that I am here when I am not! Come to think of it, some people have said the same thing about me in real life!
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!