Thread: Electric Eraser

Electric Eraser

When I was in drafting/illustrating we used electric erasers. Luckily I still have mine. It does a fantastic job cleaning up light to moderate discoloration on coins. The eraser has enough abrasive to cut grime, but does not alter the detail. This is an "Alvin" model, but Bruning and others are good. (very quiet). You can find these all over "eBay". The eraser refills are a little more difficult to find, but they are out there. Just though I would let y'all know about it if you haven't already seen this method of cleaning our precious treasures.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Very nice results!

I used to use one too back when I was doing hand drafting. I remember using one to erase the serial numbers from a dollar bill one time and fooled a coworker into thinking I had found a rare error.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I agree,nice results. I use to use one when I studied architecture. I once used it on some of my mercury dimes years ago to shine them up(which worked),but now sitting in coin books they have turned black.

This helps explain why I never took to drafting. With my questionable drawing skills I'd need an eraser with a diesel driven, coffee can sized head on it strong enough to erase the center line off a highway. That being said, one of these little buggers might work well for cleaning MD finds. I'm always looking for new ways to clean stuff.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

What are the odds? I just read this post over the weekend, and had never even heard of an electric eraser before then. Today I saw one in a thrift store and decided to go ahead and buy it. The guy at the register gave it a funny, kind of puzzled look, then looked at me and said "whatzit". I said "last week I didn't know either", and we both laughed.
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Interesting. I knew of using and eraser to shine up gold. Gold isn't supposed to tarnish but the edge connectors seem to get a dull color and I've used an eraser to clean them up. I might try this with one or more of my wheats. Maybe just the regular white eraser block... I know it's not as versitile as the tip one and it would be by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by GA1dad View Post
    What are the odds? I just read this post over the weekend, and had never even heard of an electric eraser before then. Today I saw one in a thrift store and decided to go ahead and buy it. The guy at the register gave it a funny, kind of puzzled look, then looked at me and said "whatzit". I said "last week I didn't know either", and we both laughed.
    Good for you. You may have to go online to find the eraser sticks, but some office supply stores still carry them.

Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Interesting. I knew of using and eraser to shine up gold. Gold isn't supposed to tarnish but the edge connectors seem to get a dull color and I've used an eraser to clean them up. I might try this with one or more of my wheats. Maybe just the regular white eraser block... I know it's not as versitile as the tip one and it would be by hand.
    Yeah. I was using an eraser to clean Printed Wiring Board contacts back in the 60's. I think they still do.

2017 Clad $0.00