Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of my arest finds to date. George Washington Success Token!

One of my arest finds to date. George Washington Success Token!

I had to work all week including yesterday so I was itching to hit some sites. Last night Dave and I noticed a spot near one of our sites we hit last summer that we never noticed before. It looked very promising as it was tucked away in the nook of a river deep in the woods. When we got there, we found the barn buried in some thick briar but couldn't find a cellar hole near it. We did find a square structure a few hundred feet away that must have been the homestead.

We couldn't get near the barn due to the thick briars and targets around the perimeter were very scarce. Hardly any good repeatable signals other than the dozen or so shot gun shells I was digging. Then I got another signal that was also ringing in the shotgun-button range but I could only get a repeatable signal from one direction. At first I thought it was just a flat button. Then I could see letters that read "States". I knew it must say "United States" and said to myself that it can't be a button. As I let it dry, I could see rays coming out from a center "All seeing eye" and that's when I knew I had something good When I finally could see the other side, I was able to make out a bust facing to the right and the name George! That's when I knew what I had just found.

A George Washington Success Token in which very little is known about these. It seems they are very rare and made from a Large and small die. They are believed to be dated 1792-1795 for GW's 2nd Inauguration but there is one theory that they could have been made as a game token in the mid 19th century.
    The large variety is a 25.4M size and the small variety is a 19.4M size but what's throwing me off is that mine is 24.4M maybe due to wear?
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

That's a sweet token! Congrats.

That token must be rare, I've never heard of it or seen one posted on any forum!

It came out of the ground in pretty good shape too! What an incredible piece of US history!

Congrats on the fascinating find!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

No way dude!!!!!!! Todd that is unheard of ... What a piece of history that right there man, right down to the father of our country... amazes me what is lying under ground. Big congrats!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Wow !!!!!!!!!! what an incredible find that is Todd, a huge congratulations on that one!

That is a significant and historical find. I read the citation and notes in the Whiman book too and I tend to believe the early attribution rather than the mid 19th century ones. Fantastic token and I have not heard of another being dug. Well done Todd I am so happy to see it!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

on an awesome find Todd. You made some outstanding finds this year and still have 4 weeks to go.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

way to go man! I knew that was something unique when I 1st saw the eye and rays and the smallness of it.congrats dude on an amazing piece of colonial Americana
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Great find Todd. Quality vs. quantity on that hunt for sure!

-John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Blog Entries
    Nice find Todd a find well deserved, keep up the good work.
    Gary

Look the way it came out of the ground. Now if that was found in a park where there were some fertilizers, that might look like a mid 1900s coin. I am sure it's the real deal late 1700s. Congrats on the find. URS-6 means between 16-32 pieces known to exist? With that reverse makes me wonder if any could be worn down so much (like faded bust and no letters on obverse) that one was mistaken for something like a VT. idk..

Tony Two-Cent
    That token must be rare, I've never heard of it or seen one posted on any forum!

It came out of the ground in pretty good shape too! What an incredible piece of US history!

Congrats on the fascinating find!
    It seems like I am getting that same response from a lot of people Tony, in never seeing one before. Even Don Hartman told me he's never seen one posted or dug. There is very little known about these tokens but I did remember reading about them in my Whitman Encyclopedia on early Colonial and American coins. That's why I realized what I had after a few mins from digging it.

Thanks everyone for the props
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

WOW, what a find. I also have never seen or heard of one and I can't express myself on how special this find is....

You must be still smiling and if its something that you do, how about W&E best finds????
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

WTG on an amazing find Todd! That's in awesome shape!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Wonderful find !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on a score of a lifetime Todd! That'll take the pain out of working Saturday.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Holy smokes! That is just too cool to contemplate. What a nice find.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Awesome, simply awesome. You must still be floating on cloud nine.

What a great early token that commemorates our first President and newly founded country , Todd the token is in pretty nice shape if it is cast from brass its details should hold up pretty well . great piece of history
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Very cool find! First I've ever heard of coming out of the ground. Way to go. Color me jealous.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter