Thread: One of my arest finds to date. George Washington Success Token!

Threaded View

One of my arest finds to date. George Washington Success Token!

I had to work all week including yesterday so I was itching to hit some sites. Last night Dave and I noticed a spot near one of our sites we hit last summer that we never noticed before. It looked very promising as it was tucked away in the nook of a river deep in the woods. When we got there, we found the barn buried in some thick briar but couldn't find a cellar hole near it. We did find a square structure a few hundred feet away that must have been the homestead.

We couldn't get near the barn due to the thick briars and targets around the perimeter were very scarce. Hardly any good repeatable signals other than the dozen or so shot gun shells I was digging. Then I got another signal that was also ringing in the shotgun-button range but I could only get a repeatable signal from one direction. At first I thought it was just a flat button. Then I could see letters that read "States". I knew it must say "United States" and said to myself that it can't be a button. As I let it dry, I could see rays coming out from a center "All seeing eye" and that's when I knew I had something good When I finally could see the other side, I was able to make out a bust facing to the right and the name George! That's when I knew what I had just found.

A George Washington Success Token in which very little is known about these. It seems they are very rare and made from a Large and small die. They are believed to be dated 1792-1795 for GW's 2nd Inauguration but there is one theory that they could have been made as a game token in the mid 19th century.
    The large variety is a 25.4M size and the small variety is a 19.4M size but what's throwing me off is that mine is 24.4M maybe due to wear?
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee