Thread: Gridding Techniques?

Gridding Techniques?

The scenario- You've obtained permission to detect a very large field. This permission will allow you to return as often as you want, so you can relax and be thorough.

The question- What are some techniques used for gridding off a property to insure you aren't simply wandering around with a detector.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Get yourself two no metallic stakes wood dowels sharpened or plastic tent stakes with a colored string cut to whatever length15-25 yards is easily managable, tie it two the two stakes. Start in the corner of the field and stretch out the string between the two stakes. Make the width a coil swing wide from the edge of the field. Make your 1st pass and when you get to the second stake turn and go back in the opposite direction on the other side of the string, overlapping a little. Once that pass is complete move the first stake a little less than the width of a 2 swings, I go a little less for overlapping purposes. Then go move the other stake the same width and make your two passes on both sides of the string and repeat. At the end of your hunt pace off the area you cover and make notes. Use fence post or other land marks as starting and ending points to help you. I would print out a copy of the feild from Google earth/maps or make a drawing of the area before the first hunt. Make notes and use a highlighter on the printout or drawing to mark what you have covered. Remember over laping is a good thing so make your notes slightly shorter than what you covered. I hope this makes sense and helps.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

I only use a grid pattern when I know I can't come back and I've only got this one shot. When I have all the time in the world I like to take it easy and just zig-zag around. It's more relaxing because I can focus on the detector instead of focusing on the grid. Eventually, you'll cover the whole place. A tight careful grid does not guarantee you will find everything on the first pass. From my own experience (and I'm sure others will agree) I will miss coins no matter how hard I try to get every signal.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I start at one end and pick out an object to follow at the other end (tree, pole, bush, etc.) to make sure I go in a relatively straight line. After the first pass I can almost always look back and see my footprints in the grass, so I just move over about 3 feet and skirt my previous path.

However, if you want to be thorough I would use Fire Fighter 43's method.
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 12-09-2014 at 09:28 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

fields can be huge and you could go for a long time without a signal , I too like to wander until i start getting some iron or non-ferrous targets thats when i'll slow down and work an area. the "yard sticks" with the twine method that was mentioned up above works pretty well .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Not sure if it was here or on a previous forum, but Angel had a really good visual example of how to grid an area. Tried looking for it, but have not had any luck yet.
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Most of my hunting is in open fields. I too like to roam until I start hitting targets. If I find an iron debris field that usually means that there was a barn or house there at one time. Thats when I'll slow down and start gridding. I usually just eye mark a tree and try to keep in line with it for whatever distance I choose. Stop, turn 90 and take a big step, turn another 90 and walk straight back next to the path I just walked. I've also played a little with the GPS tracking on the CTX but I try to keep it as simple as possible.

I have gotten permission in several fields around me. The way I start is by asking the farmer if he remembers old buildings from his childhood they will usually give you a starting point.
    Second I look at old maps I have found homesites the farmer didn't know about.
    Third I take my detector and shovel and walk the field until you start seeing old brick, glass, broken crock pot, etc
    now I know I am in debri field, go slow and listen to the signals.
    fourth I bush the stubble occasionally on iron signals pretty soon you will have an outline of debri field
    happy hunting!

Here is the visual example SeabeeRon was referring to. It is an effective method and has produced many fine coins for me. However, surface trash, iron, and soil mineralization will all have an impact on our ability to pick up the signal of good targets. That's why a site should be worked from different angles. Doing so will further increase our chances of picking up deeply buried coins or those mixed in with trash.

Name:  detectinggrid.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  90.1 KB

Hmm,, good visual aid,,,, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    Here is the visual example SeabeeRon was referring to. It is an effective method and has produced many fine coins for me. However, surface trash, iron, and soil mineralization will all have an impact on our ability to pick up the signal of good targets. That's why a site should be worked from different angles. Doing so will further increase our chances of picking up deeply buried coins or those mixed in with trash.

Name:  detectinggrid.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  90.1 KB
    Thanks Angel, that's the one!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Nice visual, and the technique looks to be an effective one. I will definitely try this one if I ever get the opportunity to work a large open area. Thanks for sharing.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00