Thread: Iron hand tool / dagger

Iron hand tool / dagger

Found this in a farm field today looks like an iron dagger. The blade section is square. It is an 03 on at pro so it is iron.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like maybe some kind of punch.

pretty cool find for sure.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

It was laying on top of the ground. One of the agreements I have with the farmer is to carry out things that could do damage to his equipment. It seems to be a good way to get permission from the farmers around me. That is the only reason i picked it up.
    Not to mention the look on my wife's face when I walked in with it!

to me it almost looks like a bit to an air chisel
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

The handle section is round though no locking slot for air chisel. Guys at work think it might be some sort of tent stake. Their only other idea was maybe the Romans once occupied south central Ohio haha!

An old drop pin used to hook the hay wagon to the tractor ??

From an old spike tooth harrow? lower right of this photo has a good image of a similar looking spike. these are still in use today. Do a search for Spike tooth harrow and I'm pretty sure that you will find some pretty similar items.
    Name:  r1231245_16234592.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  89.1 KB

Here is a harrow spike that is currently available
    Name:  100406.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  9.4 KB
    Last edited by Ronandari; 12-17-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: addotional info.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

That looks like a match!

I dropped it off to the farmer for his farm office yesterday. We talked about it being a harrow spike but he thought it looked a little big for a harrow, although looking at your pics I would say that is what it is.
    After I gave him the farm relic, for his office he gave me three more fields with five more 1871 homesites, and said go see what else you can find!
    Thanks for the info.

Nice Job getting permissions on the other fields. I hope they have lots of goodies for you.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Confirmed your info with my dad tonight . He Identified it as a harrow tooth from 1920 through 1940 time period it was horse drawn made from a triangular timber frame he remembered using them as a kid

That's a neat find. I was rooting for the idea of a lost Roman contingent though.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.