Thread: RVing to Metal Detect

Candidate Member

RVing to Metal Detect

I live in my RV most of the time. I would like to learn more about moving around the country (following the seasons) to metal detect. I'm not interested in prospecting for gold/silver. It would be nice to hear from others that do this. I'm in the SW right now, but moving toward Texas over the next several weeks.
    Bill Hamilton
    V3, Garrett ADS, Lesche, Bullseye PP

That really sounds interesting. You could really pour through some history by doing that. Still a number of years off for me though.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Welcome from western MA....don't come up here we're frozen. Having the whole country to move about and do your metal detecting is an awesome situation. Have you been detecting long? Are you mostly interested in relics, coins?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Bill,
    Welcome from just a few miles north of Grapeland. Wish I could help you, but the boss says NO to full-time RVing. Florida beaches are fun to hunt, but the coastal RV parks will eat you out of house and home. Good luck and be safe on the road.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Candidate Member
    Bill.

We have a motor home but are not full timers. So I do not have any experience to pass along to you about following the seasons.

I took my metal detector with me on our trip to Canada and Alaska last summer, but the only MDing I did was at the campgrounds in Canada. I found a couple of Canadian quarters. We were not in Alaska long enough to do much there. I had emergency gall bladder surgery in Palmer, AK, and we came home after my hospital stay.

We live in Riverside between Huntsville and Trinity. So I assume you probably pass through our little burg on your way between Spring and Grapeland. Give us a call on one of your trips through, and we can meet a one of the local joints for a coffee. etc. The Shell station has a great burger, one of the best I have had in many a day. You just have to ignore the fish bait and oil can ambiance.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by samarai View Post
    I live in my RV most of the time. I would like to learn more about moving around the country (following the seasons) to metal detect. I'm not interested in prospecting for gold/silver. It would be nice to hear from others that do this. I'm in the SW right now, but moving toward Texas over the next several weeks.
    Garrett AT Pro / Whites Spectrum XLT / Garrett ProPointer

I love detecting in New England when the ground thaws and the greens have yet to grow. Some years it's a good 10 min
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Candidate Member
    Thanks for the replies. Yesterday, after my post - I tripped on concrete steps and broke a kneecap. Cannot MD for a while, but still plan on my journey after it heals. Would still like to get input from those who coin and relic hunt on the road.

I pass through Riverside often when I am at home. Look forward to a hamburger there.

Candidate Member
    Well, I'm ambulatory again after 6 weeks of limited walking. My kneecap has healed enough to put some weight on it while kneeling. I'm leaving Harlingen, Tx Saturday to return to Spring, Tx for a few days. Will do some hunting in some schoolyards and small parks to become familiar with my new Garrett. Then will spend about a month in Grapeland doing yard work and coin shooting. Will go to a dance rally in Bandera, Texas for almost 2 weeks in April. Should be some very good hunting in that area and then go to northern NM and on to the northwestern states for the summer. My schedule is written in the sand near the water, while the tide is low. My attitude is to enjoy life while RVing and metal detecting.