Thread: Exciting new place to detect

Exciting new place to detect

I received permission to detect a piece of property I've been eyeing for years. I use to detect the crap out of the surrounding area with some good success, but according to my old maps there was a church,school,general store and 2 residents in that field. I don't think I ever found the site of the general store or church. The whole area was wiped out in the early 1930s during a big flood. The store,church and school are on my 1830 map. Anyway...I had always suspected the map was a bit off and figured the place I wanted to detect was on the adjoining property that I did not have permission to be on.
    I made a few calls yesterday and found that land was owned by the township trustee and with a few more calls, I received unlimited access to the property. So last night after work I drove down there to walk the fields with a headlamp to see if I could find any broken glass,crock or brick...or any other indication that there was something in that field. So there I was at 2am walking muddy fields with a headlamp and flash light I started to find tons of broken china and red brick and to my surprise I found a flat button laying rite on top of the ground...then another and another..then I found an old drawer pull, broken silver plated spoon and a buckle...all laying on top of the ground! I found a lot of other things like plastic and glass buttons, bits of iron and some fancy broken china pieces. I can't wait to run a detector over that place after winter and before they plant the field...if I found all of that laying on top of the ground, I suspect it's gonna be one heck of a place! Lots of iron, so it won't be easy. I'm almost certain that is the site of the general store...likely a lot of things washed across that field during the flood.

Wow, it looks like your research and perseverance is going to pay off big time! If you found that much laying on top of the ground just imagine how much is just below the surface! Definitely an old site from the looks of those flat buttons.

I bet you can't wait until spring!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That place looks really nice. All those surface finds are a good indicator of what goodies could be hiding under the ground. Hope to hear from you soon with some great finds.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

I don't know what is about this hobby but I caught myself getting excited at broken croc,brick, and China let alone the great surface finds. I don't know how you will be able to wait till spring if ground isn't froze I'm out there

NICE WORK ON THE SURFACE FINDS. I hope the spot pans out for you. It sounds like there may be a lot of trash to contend with.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

I don't know how you can wait till spring, I'd be going crazy over that spot. Those surface finds are fantastic and will be waiting for your future finds from this site.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

WTG on finding the spot. 2am is way too early for me, next time bring a buddy to be o the safe side. Last thing you need is for someone thinking you're a hunter out poaching.

HH & Happy Holidays!
    Roger
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Your research and intuitions paid off. Congrats and keep us informed as to what lurks beneath the surface.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Looks like dad and I are gonna go hit this spot today. It's gonna be a muddy mess after all the rain we got yesterday...oh well.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

I got called back home to get some meds for a sick kid. Poor kid...kids shouldn't get sick near Christmas.

I did get to detect for an hour or so. Only thing I found was a couple of flat buttons. Iron every where! I don't think I've ever seen a place with so much iron. Dad is still out there...he said he's found a shield nickel and an indian head so far. He says the iron is a pain to deal with. I used his Tesoro Bandito, which is one of the best machines I've ever used on iron laden sites. This place was even giving that machine fits.