Thread: BIG SILVER from one of my favorite parks.

BIG SILVER from one of my favorite parks.

So Final exams are finally over and I am officially on mid-semester break. I headed out to a local park early this morning cause I had a good feeling about the place. It has given up numerous wheat pennies, a buffalo nickel, and 6 silver coins including a Ben Franklin half (my first one). However, I had yet to find a silver coin there since May. That would change today. About 1 hour into the hunt I get a slamming 90-93 signal. It is only two inches or so deep but right next to the signal is a trashy target. This might have been why I missed it so many times before. I stick my pinpointer in and see a black, big disc in the hole. I really had no idea what it was. I grab it out of the hole and rub it once and see an Eagle. It is a 1943 Walking liberty half! My second half dollar this year (and in career) and the second one out of the same park! I was really happy. I could not believe I missed this signal as well as anyone else that detected it. After the half I picked up a wheat penny, some clad, and a dropped .22 bullet. Luckily the bullet looked quite old. I also went back this afternoon and decided to dig the low tones for gold, nickels, and other interesting objects. Not much luck got tons of pulltabs and trash. Ended up with two Wheaties, some clad and a Walker! An excellent hunt
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Congrats on finishing up your exams and on a super WLH.
    Last edited by Ronandari; 12-19-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: change SLQ
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Congrats on your first Walking Liberty Half! Such a beautifully designed coin. I bet that put a big smile on your face! There nothing like the sight of big silver in the dirt!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Good find in decent shape. Congratulations.

WTG on the WLH. Seeing that you removed the trash next time you'll get the gold.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Excellent find. Those Walkers are beautiful coins. Your looks to be in very nice shape.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

What a reward for those hard exams Jim... congrats on the half, beautiful finds . Still have only found 1 half out of 80 silvers this year
    I <3 colonial relics!

Gratz on the big silver, looks to be in good shape!
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments, hopefully I can pull some gold out of there next time I go there
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button