Thread: BIG SILVER from one of my favorite parks.

Threaded View

BIG SILVER from one of my favorite parks.

So Final exams are finally over and I am officially on mid-semester break. I headed out to a local park early this morning cause I had a good feeling about the place. It has given up numerous wheat pennies, a buffalo nickel, and 6 silver coins including a Ben Franklin half (my first one). However, I had yet to find a silver coin there since May. That would change today. About 1 hour into the hunt I get a slamming 90-93 signal. It is only two inches or so deep but right next to the signal is a trashy target. This might have been why I missed it so many times before. I stick my pinpointer in and see a black, big disc in the hole. I really had no idea what it was. I grab it out of the hole and rub it once and see an Eagle. It is a 1943 Walking liberty half! My second half dollar this year (and in career) and the second one out of the same park! I was really happy. I could not believe I missed this signal as well as anyone else that detected it. After the half I picked up a wheat penny, some clad, and a dropped .22 bullet. Luckily the bullet looked quite old. I also went back this afternoon and decided to dig the low tones for gold, nickels, and other interesting objects. Not much luck got tons of pulltabs and trash. Ended up with two Wheaties, some clad and a Walker! An excellent hunt
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button