Thread: Big Silver is a little Silver Lining

Big Silver is a little Silver Lining

Early last week I got one of those phone calls you never want to get. A call saying that my uncle and godfather was found dead in his bed of a brain aneurism. It was a tough week to say the least. The services were held Sunday and Monday. Being a pall bearer I needed to be back to the church by 11:15 Monday for the burial. We spent the night at another one of my aunt and uncles house. Staying there I wasn't too far from the sport camp my uncle runs. I set my alarm for 5:30 a.m. and was swinging with my head lamp by 6:15 a.m.
    In about four hours I was able to sniff out 3 silvers and a 1867 IH!

So I packed up and headed over to the church for the burial. Afterwards everyone went inside for a bite to eat and then went their separate ways. So was going to go back to the camp but as I was pulling back into my aunt and uncles drive I decided to just hunt there at their house. It's a late 1800's farm house. The first hole was a wheatie. After that I wasn't finding to much other than some clad, when I got a 7-42 ,8-43 at 7-8 inches. I got down to the coin and seen the silver edge sticking out of the back of the hole! I thought it was a quarter till I popped it out and seen it was BIG SILVER!! Turned out to be a 1942 WLH!! A nice addition to the days take.

The keepers cleaned up.

Thanks for lookin' & HH everyone!

R.I.P. Uncle Jim
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Tim, sorry to hear of your uncle's passing. It sounds like the two of you were close.

Nice pile of silvers especially that WLH, isn't the 1867 IH a semi key date?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Very sorry to hear about your uncle, Tim. It sounds like he went quickly and peacefully, but I'm sure it is still very difficult for you and your family.

Sometimes metal detecting can be very therapeutic, I have used it myself on occasion to take my mind off things. You ended up with a nice pile of silver including a big Walker! The 1867 Indian Head is a key date and a great find also.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Tim, I'm very sorry to hear about your uncle. I hope you and your family are doing ok.

As far as your recent hunts, Congrats on the Silvers, especially the Walker. Very nice Find.

The Indians not bad either. Great Job!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Sorry to hear of the loss. Wishing the best for you and your family. Detecting always help me to rest my mind when times are difficult.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Tim,
    Please accept my condolences on the passing of your uncle (and godfather). Maybe he was looking down and helping you find that big silver. I was surprised how heavy the casket was when I was a pallbearer for my wife's grandmother!

Merry Christmas to you and your family and best wishes for 2015, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

So sorry to hear about your uncle it's never easy losing a family member he must've been looking down on you finding that nice Walker and my personal favorite that 1867 IH Best wishes
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Elite Member
    My condolences. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Thanks everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Tim, sorry to hear of your uncle's passing. It sounds like the two of you were close.
    Thanks Al. Yes we were very close. Even though we live 2 hours away from each other, and only got to see each other a couple times a year, we were pretty tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Sometimes metal detecting can be very therapeutic, I have used it myself on occasion to take my mind off things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    Detecting always help me to rest my mind when times are difficult.
    The thoughts and memories of uncle Jim flooded my mind all week leading up to his funeral. Yet, even if for only a short time, while I was detecting I kinda drifted off into my own little world of beeps, chirps, and nulls...... Therapeutic indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Tim,
    Please accept my condolences on the passing of your uncle (and godfather). Maybe he was looking down and helping you find that big silver. I was surprised how heavy the casket was when I was a pallbearer for my wife's grandmother!

Merry Christmas to you and your family and best wishes for 2015, Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesdore View Post
    So sorry to hear about your uncle it's never easy losing a family member he must've been looking down on you finding that nice Walker and my personal favorite that 1867 IH Best wishes
    Thanks guys..
    The thought of uncle Jim looking over my shoulder crossed my mind as I was sitting and admiring that Walker after I pulled it out of the ground.

Sorry for your loss. God bless you and your family.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Quote Originally Posted by mownomo View Post
    Sorry for your loss. God bless you and your family.
    Thank you.

Really sorry about your uncle and godfather Tim, my condolences are sent out your way, bless your family.

Have a blessed rest of your holiday and congrats on a sweet hunt.\

Above posters are right, when I'm stressed out from high school I use metal detecting when ever I can to help me, it can be very soothing and calming.
    I <3 colonial relics!

My condolences to you and yours on the passing of your uncle. You sure made some great finds while you were there.

Sorry about the loss of your uncle. Please accept my deepest condolences. Nice job on the silvers. That walking liberty is really nice. Hope you keep swinging and brighten your day during these difficult times.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button