Thread: Fun Group Hunt with Isaac and Sam

Fun Group Hunt with Isaac and Sam

Isaac, Sam, and I had been planning to do a group hunt when Isaac arrived in CT in December. Yesterday we followed through with those plans. I woke up very early and was on the road before the first light arriving at Isaac's house in CT before 8 am. After some brief chit-chat and meeting and greeting Isaac and I were soon off to cellar hole that Isaac had been talking about for months. We arrived at the parking spot and decided to try and find the cellar to pass the time because Sam wasn't coming for a little while. Well, after a few wrong turns we finally reached the cellar. We headed back because Sam was already in the parking lot. Soon we had all our gear together and headed to the cellar hole. We took a group picture and then began detecting. Isaac and same both got buttons before I even got my first non-ferrous signal. I finally got a super iffy signal dug and was rewarded with a nice shoe buckle fragment. I have found so many fragments, one of these days I am going to find a complete one. Sam and Isaac found a few more buttons and stuff but we decided to move on to another location further into the woods. We eventually come upon two cellar holes and start detecting around them. At first I was getting mostly trash but pulled out a nice small two piece button. As we were detecting, We observed another detectorist across the river from where we were. We never interacted with him as I think he left soon after we saw him. Anyway, several trash targets later I pull a nice flat button with the words "Gold Colour Gilt" on the back and a checkered design on the front. Following that signal I didn't really get much else for a while except for a modern Yale Key and an old lock. We move on down towards the river and Sam digs an old plated spoon. We start to wander back toward the trail and I get a slamming high signal only about 2 inches deep. I am sure its gonna be trash but I dig my plug and see a copper disc inside the hole. I shout out "I've got a copper!" and Isaac and Sam run over to see my discovery. The copper is an 1834 Matron Head Large Cent ! I was so happy to find a copper, somebody must have missed this signal before. A little while later I get another high tone near the base of a tree but it turns out to only be a small piece of brass. We start to make our way back toward the original cellar but not too far away from the two cellar complex I get an amazing high tone. Sam and Isaac both watched me dig the hole expecting a copper or a complete shoe buckle. To our disappointment it was only a large brass object that I have yet to identify. We head back to the orginal cellar and just as Isaac is about to search for a signal in a hole, he realizes his lesche is gone! While Sam and Isaac were out looking for it I continued detecting and got a nice silver plated cuff button. That was basically it for the finds. We were expecting more but still had a lot of fun and its always great to pull a copper out of a hunted out site. It was a very long and tough hike but I would do it again. Thank you Isaac for inviting me to one of your spots. I hope to detect with you again soon. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! Name:  IMG_4795.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  147.2 KBName:  IMG_4821.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  108.4 KBName:  IMG_4798.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  99.3 KBName:  IMG_4797.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  119.0 KBName:  IMG_4831.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  60.9 KBName:  IMG_4828.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  80.8 KBName:  IMG_4834.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  45.7 KBName:  IMG_4852.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  29.4 KBName:  IMG_4854.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  30.2 KBName:  IMG_4858.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  19.2 KBName:  IMG_4857.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  34.9 KBName:  IMG_4863.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  23.6 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Those carriage caps sound great....as do the large cents Looks like there is lots of swinging room there. I'm glad you had a successful day with friends!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Looks like you guys had fun, too bad about the Lesche maybe it will turn up. Merry Christmas!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Great hunt, love the pics and gratz on the LC
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Congrats on the large cent. I had a feeling someone would pull a coin out of there and glad it was you ! Thanks a lot for coming! Merry Christmas and HH
    I <3 colonial relics!

Good Times!

Congrats on the LC and the buttons. Sounds like the three of you had a good day. Looking at the group photo, I suddenly realized that if you added all of your ages together I probably beat that total...

If your gonna clean up that lock please post a picture of it. thanks
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice hunt guys! Always good to sneak out a copper!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Nice hunt guys. Envious of all the clear and open swinging areas you guys down in southern New England have. Half the sites I find are waist deep in briars from May-Oct.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

nice hunt guys! the large brass cap is off a wagon its the end cap from a pole brake
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers