Thread: Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100

Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100

As stated in my introduction, the referenced detector was under the tree. I don't know if this board typically engages in flaming, if so, please know that I realize it isn't the best unit out there. I hope it's good enough to introduce me to the hobby, and if I spend enough time at it I might upgrade. For now, this is it.

I am hoping that someone with a bit of experience with units of this ilk can give me some pointers. I've had it out in the backyard a couple of times and found the requisite pop tops, an old pull tab, some aluminum wire the cable guy left behind, a gutter strap, a chrome plated pin of some sort, a piece of what appears to be molten metal with some unmelted parts fused to it, a 1999 dime, and this cap gun hammer in perfect condition, no bends, or breaks. I wish I could find out what kind of gun it belongs to.

From my experience so far it seems that a pinpoint type detector would be helpful. What about other stuff? I've seen the digging tools, are they really any different than a garden trowel?

What can I expect from this machine? Any tips on what not to do?

Thanks!
    Last edited by nuttinbutjunk; 12-28-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Welcome aboard!!

I've been here a bit over a month now, and I can honestly say I've not seen any flaming,,, period. So far, this has been the friendliest detecting forum I've found.

The following is just my opinion,,, others may differ,,,,,

With limited discrimination features, be ready to dig a lot of trash in between good targets. You may do well by hunting in the woods where trash is "generally" less. And just because you're in the woods doesn't limit your finds. There's potential to find buttons, coins and relics amongst the trees.

Pinpointing is a good feature to have, but not really a must have. My 9 year old daughter can take her Ace 150 and pinpoint to within an inch with the back side of the coil. On the other hand, I have a BH Platinum that I have yet to really figure out the pin point feature on. I always seem to be 2 inches off. There have been times that I pin pointed to center of coil, but dug 2 inches towards 7-oclock and was spot on. It's just a matter of getting used to what you have.

The Lesche hand digger is not that much different that other trowels,,, but made much, much better. I've broken the handle off of several trowels, but the Lesche takes my abuse. That said, it's not much for scooping out material. If you're like me, you'll go through a couple of cheap ones, before breaking down and buying a good one. I also hear that Wilcox trowels are very well made.

I think most everyone will agree that a hand held pinpointer will be one of your best investments. You don't need to start of with the $100 plus models. Any inexpensive unit will reduce the time it takes to find that tiny coin in a mound of dirt.

Then as your experience grows, so will your equipment.
    Last edited by GA1dad; 12-28-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Welcome from central Maryland. You are doing just fine. Your finding stuff. Keep searching.

Thanks for the responses. Today I found some rusty nails, a small piece of steel bar stock, some sort of rusty strap, a couple of metal Jackson and Perkins tags from rosebushes that are in astoundingly good condition, and...wait for it...what I am fairly sure is either a deformed .32 caliber musket ball or a piece of buckshot. It is definitely lead and was cast round and is still somewhat round on top, more oval. It has an indentation in the center from the force of striking something, and the back of it looks like it was either hit by another ball or possibly struck with a farm implement, lawn mower, or something else. I'll most likley never know for sure but it was fun to find.
    Last edited by nuttinbutjunk; 12-28-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttinbutjunk View Post
    but it was fun to find.
    And therein lies the point of it all. Sounds like you're off to a great start!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

That BH 1100 should be a great starter machine. I have the 202 and still use it on occasion. Read your manual, it should have some sort of discrimination and ground balance. If you can get out and throw some coins on the ground with some pull tabs and other junk and just get used to the sounds and readings. Hit a local park...get used to what the machine is telling you.... HH & GL, Dan

To pin point a target, swing your coil over the target while backing up. Once you loose the target stop...visually pick a landmark at the front tip of the coil (A stick, weed or leaf) this will be a good dig point. Practice with it, this is what I do with my Etrac and it works well. Once you dig, swing a hand full of soil over the coil until you find your target. A good pinpointer is a great help.....
    Last edited by Dan; 01-01-2015 at 02:12 AM.

I agree that if you're finding the non ferrous targets you are doing good. The more you detect with the detector the better it will seem. My brother started with a Bounty Hunter and some of the finds that he made with that detector were amazing.

Thanks gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    To pin point a target, swing your coil over the target while backing up. Once you loose the target stop...visually pick a landmark at the front tip of the coil (A stick, weed or leaf) this will be a good dig point. Practice with it, this is what I do with my Etrac and it works well. Once you dig, swing a hand full of soil over the coil until you find your target. A good pinpointer is a great help.....
    I have the pinpointing thing down. The question was more along the lines of getting a handheld pinpointer unit.

Back in a previous life I used to have to locate water shutoff boxes. If you can imagine, I used a compass box metal locator until we got into the 20th century, like this one:

It was ALL about pinpointing. If the stopbox was buried more than a few inches you had your work cut out! They worked best on an upright pipe like a water stop or property corner. This is the same time I learned to divine pipe with a couple of pieces of coathanger. Electronic stuff during this time period was new and expensive.