Thread: Fantastic way to end 2014!!!

Fantastic way to end 2014!!!

I woke up extremely early on December 31 to drive to CT to pick up Isaac and bring him to MA for a group hunt with Sam and one of his friends. Sam and his friend has found a lightly traveled hiking trail recently that had a cellar hole on it. They had found quite a few things and had only detecting there for a very short time. This gave us all high hopes. It was below freezing the entire day but that wasn't going to stop us. Anyways, we head into the woods and arrive at the cellar hole, a small foundation right on the top of a steep hill.
    Name:  IMG_4974.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  109.1 KB
    There was a steep hill directly behind the cellar which made digging and detecting very difficult which could be another reason why it was a near virgin site. The most common find at this cellar were pewter and brass spoons. Most of the pewter spoons were in excellent shape but were not complete. I struggled at this cellar digging iron after iron after iron, but did pull out two buttons. I didn't get any spoons either.
    Anyways, we move further down the trail and eventually encounter another cellar hole, this one slightly bigger and on much flatter terrain then the previous one. Name:  IMG_4978.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  87.4 KB
    I start detecting on the trail near the cellar and get a midtone and pop out my first decent find of the day, a 1925 Buffalo in pretty good shape.
    Name:  IMG_5001.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  44.7 KBName:  IMG_5002.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  48.3 KB
    A good amount of time passed after I dug the buffalo and I really didn't get anything interesting. I got some high tones but they turned out to be just flat iron. Finally I get a slamming 82-85 signal about 3-4 inches deep. I say "screw it" and don't even bother to check the signal from another direction. I dig my plug and see a copper disk in the hole. I shout "Copper" and everyone comes running over. This coin is WORN and very corroded. I hand the coin to Isaac and he tells me its a Draped bust. Turns out he was correct. I'll never get a date off of it but its my 3rd draped bust large cent of the year and 15th large copper of the year. My mediocre day was now an awesome day.
    Name:  IMG_5020.jpg
Size:  47.8 KBName:  IMG_5021.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  47.3 KB
    Not long after my copper, we head back to the original cellar to give it another try. I get a nice midtone near the road once again and pull out a nickel. My mind is saying "Shield Nickel, V Nickel" but no. The coin I dug was only a 1972 Jefferson. Oh well. I guess I was getting greedy .
    Anyway I hear Isaac scream while I'm digging the nickel and it turns out he had just dug an 1874 Indian head penny, his 50th of the year!! Congrats Isaac .
    Meanwhile Sam's friend gets a nice dime signal with his ace 250 but pulls only lose iron out of the hole. I go over and check the signal with my AT Pro and it is still giving off a nice signal. I dig the hole for him and see an amazing pewter spoon fragment down in the hole. We all gathered over and gazed at it. I pull out the spoon and hand it to Sam's friend, since it was still his find.
    Name:  IMG_4987.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  39.3 KB
    We called it a day soon after. It was a very successful hunt as everyone had a least one good find. Happy new year everyone!
    Name:  IMG_4996.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  65.2 KBName:  IMG_4994.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  81.2 KBName:  IMG_4993.jpg
Size:  71.2 KBName:  IMG_4995.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  82.1 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Nice finds but even better the time shared with friends! That everyone got a keeper is just icing on the cake!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Congrats on the interesting finds, especially the Draped Bust! I would die if I ever found one!

I'm glad you guys were able to get together for a nice end-of-year hunt!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great finds. Interesting location. Is there much flat ground at the top of the hill or is that cellar hole just perched up on the knob?
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Super fun hunt that was the most fun I've ever had metal detecting ! Hope we can do it again y'all!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Glad you guys had a good time and found some nice items. Nice way to end the year.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Very nice way to end 2014. on the draped bust and buff. Nothing like detecting with friends.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice finds!
    Garrett AT Max
    Garrett AT Gold
    Garrett AT Pro

Great way to end the year. Congrats.

Good to see the date survived on that buffalo. Congrats on the copper too, and great group hunt.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Yeah, usually the teens and twenties buff dates are gone. I'm glad you guys had a good end of the year. Here's to great finds in 2015
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew