Thread: Great way to start 2015! Silver, some old coins, and tons of relics!!!

Great way to start 2015! Silver, some old coins, and tons of relics!!!

I recently was given permission to hunt a property with over 5 acres of historical farmfields on it. The house was only built in 1997 so I assumed most of the stuff around the house would be very modern. This assumption turned out to be very wrong. So I headed out to the around 11:30 am on January 2nd. After a quick tour by the owner I began detecting. Right away I start pulling out old relics from the yard surrounding the house. I then moved into this small fenced in section of the backyard and started getting signals almost every feet. I was pulling relic after relic after relic. I finally pulled an old coin and it turned out to be a 1941 Jefferson in excellent shape. A few moments later I get a slamming high tone and pull out a buckle. The buckle begins to shine up after a quick rub and it turns out its STERLING!!! Later on this was confirmed by the words "Sterling" on the back. My first silver item of 2014! . Less than 30 minutes later I get a deep midtone signal and pull out a nickel, turns out to be a 1910 V Nickel. Only my 2nd V Nickel ever. I was so pumped. I then get a high 60's-low 70's signal and I pull out a copper disc. I was thinking "large cent, large cent", well it wasn't a large cent but an old copper token. It reads the words "N.A.M.C.O" on both sides but it seems way to old to be one of those NAMCO gaming tokens. I still don't know what it is. After hitting the yard pretty hard I moved on to another part of the property. I picked up a few relics and a wheatie. I finally moved into one of the fields and dug a reins guide and some other relics. By now it was getting late so I headed back to the side yard and got a deep hightone and pulled out a silver dime out of the plug. It was 1918s mercury dime, my first silver coin of 2015 and in pretty nice condition for being an older merc. After that I headed home.
    The next day I headed back and hit the fields. Didn't find any old coins but got another reins guide, an old cow bell, a presidential gaming token, a colonial tombac button and more! I am certainly going to go back here cause there has got to be more goodies. It turns out that that the new house was built right where an older house used to be which explains the amount of older items. Overall, I think 2015 is going to be an awesome year!!!Name:  IMG_5108.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  44.9 KBName:  IMG_5110.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  31.6 KBName:  IMG_5109.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  39.5 KBName:  IMG_5111.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  49.1 KBName:  IMG_5112.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  50.9 KBName:  IMG_5117.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  49.6 KBName:  IMG_5118.jpg
Size:  47.0 KBName:  IMG_5113.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  51.0 KBName:  IMG_5120.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  40.8 KBName:  IMG_5114.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  48.1 KBName:  IMG_5090.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  61.1 KBName:  IMG_5094.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  47.9 KBName:  IMG_5104.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  47.5 KBName:  IMG_5089.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  17.4 KBName:  IMG_5095.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  22.1 KBName:  IMG_5098.jpg
Size:  42.5 KBName:  IMG_5081.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  72.4 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Great digs! Great site! If you are digging that much big brass, that site has seen little detecting if any. I suspect you will be finding a lot of goodies there.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That place looks like it will be a real treasure spot.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Yep, you have a nice site there. Do you know where the original house and barns were? Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Excellent start to your year! Looks the place deserves several return visits if the owner's OK with that. Congrats and love the older relics. Token likely one of NAMCO's earlier varieties...from the late 50s or into the 60s when they were made of brass or copper and not the cheap aluminum alloy these things are made from today. Thanks for sharing.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Oxshoe drew, the house was basically directly where the current house is just a little moved over, I don't know where the barn was but this property is just one of about 10 other properties that have farmfields. One house in the area is from 1800 so hopefully I can get some more permissions to the older areas.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Wow! Some great finds there, looks really promising! I love the reins guides!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Nice variety of old coins and relics! Got to be more there!

Congrats on the sterling buckle!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Excellent start to 2015. That site has so much promise I hope you can hit it soon. on the silver and V and the relics.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album