Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Starting off the new year right! 1793 Flowing hair large cent!!

  1. #1

    Starting off the new year right! 1793 Flowing hair large cent!!

    I went detecting at one of my favorite fields, last time that I was there I got a 1/2 real and the time before that a Wm. Henry Harrison button. Today I really hit it big though! I had a slamming signal and dug down about 1/2 inch to find a copper. I thought it was toasted but cleaned it up a bit and saw detail. I thought I had a state copper or something but I showed my dad and he thought it was a flowing hair. And sure enough it was!!! I texted Isaac and told him, and then looked up the rarity on these things! Holy cow! I'm not gonna do anything with it, but i'll try to get better pictures when it's daylight again. HH

    I also have some recent finds from my civil war button hole, including about 20 more buttons, jewelry,and a coin. So stay tuned!

    Good luck out there everybody!
    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  78.5 KB
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

  2. #2
    Holy c%$p! What a great find and a great way to start the new year. Shame those leaves weren't the strawberry type : )
    Best Finds for 2015

    1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

    1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

  3. #3
    Senior Member RIdirtdigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Narragansett RI
    Posts
    589
    That is AMAZING!!!! That is the find of a lifetime. Those coins are super rare. Keep on pounding that field, there's gotta be more amazing stuff there. Congrats on an amazing find
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by don in ny View Post
    Holy c%$p! What a great find and a great way to start the new year. Shame those leaves weren't the strawberry type : )
    Wouldn't that be nice! haha thanks and hh!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    That is AMAZING!!!! That is the find of a lifetime. Those coins are super rare. Keep on pounding that field, there's gotta be more amazing stuff there. Congrats on an amazing find
    Thanks, this place is acres and acres to hunt, so i'm sure theres more!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

  6. #6
    Senior Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Herndon Virginia
    Posts
    731
    Wow Luke, when I recived that text from you my jaw couldn't shut on it's own... I had to manually shut it Amazing find sir!!!

    BIG Congrats on such a rare and sought after coin!!!!!!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Wow Luke, when I recived that text from you my jaw couldn't shut on it's own... I had to manually shut it Amazing find sir!!!

    BIG Congrats on such a rare and sought after coin!!!!!!!!
    Thanks man, I can't believe I hunted for like an hour before realizing what I had!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

  8. #8
    Global Moderator aloldstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western mass
    Posts
    10,308
    Super on a super find. First year of minting, now that's a piece of history. Sounds like the site has much more to offer and I hope the keepers end up in your pouch. Thanks for posting this.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

    TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11


    Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

  9. #9
    That is a mind blowing find!

    One of the first US coins struck for general circulation, it doesn't get much better than that! I would die of excitement if I ever found a coin like that!

    HUGE CONGRATS!
    Lifetime totals:
    8 Large Cents, 389 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 9 Shield Nickels, 67 V Nickels, 122 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 128 Barber Dimes, 384 Mercury Dimes, 237 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 15 Barber Quarters, 17 Standing Liberty Quarters, 85 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

    YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

  10. #10
    Senior Member Nesdore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southeastern Ohio
    Posts
    615
    Wow what a awesome find huge find of a lifetime
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

    Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

  11. #11
    Congrats, on a real great find!
    Garrett AT Max
    Garrett AT Gold
    Garrett AT Pro

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Super on a super find. First year of minting, now that's a piece of history. Sounds like the site has much more to offer and I hope the keepers end up in your pouch. Thanks for posting this.
    Thank you! :D
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    That is a mind blowing find!

    One of the first US coins struck for general circulation, it doesn't get much better than that! I would die of excitement if I ever found a coin like that!

    HUGE CONGRATS!
    thanks! I'm still over the moon about it! HH!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesdore View Post
    Wow what a awesome find huge find of a lifetime
    Thanks!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Swing-N-Dig NY View Post
    Congrats, on a real great find!
    Thank you!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

  16. #16
    Veteran Member BTV Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    1,745
    What a fantastic find. That's a field that deserves several more trips!

    John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

  17. #17
    I can't believe I missed this post! If indeed this is a 1793 (I can't tell from the picture), then wouldn't that make it a Chain Cent? If so, the coin should be a lot thicker than a normal copper. Can you do a comparison? This would be an outstanding find...I hope it is a chain cent, that would be one heck of a find!!!
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    I can't believe I missed this post! If indeed this is a 1793 (I can't tell from the picture), then wouldn't that make it a Chain Cent? If so, the coin should be a lot thicker than a normal copper. Can you do a comparison? This would be an outstanding find...I hope it is a chain cent, that would be one heck of a find!!!
    It is a 1793 (flowing hair style was made only one year) but it's a type two, which came after the chain cent. It is really thick, and it seems to have the vine and bars edge. Actually before I realized what it was, the first thing that stuck me was the thickness. They made about 30,000 chain cents and 60,000 wreaths, so it's still pretty rare, my redbook has it at $750 for the lowest grade. Thanks and HH!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    What a fantastic find. That's a field that deserves several more trips!

    John
    Thank you! I plan to spend lots of time there!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

  20. #20
    Administrator del's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,593
    Luke I hope you can bless us with some better pictures of the coin at some time in the near future , I'm sure many of us would love to shamelessly "gawk" at that one for a few hours.
    XP Deus Ws5 , DFX ,TDI sl -

    Click here to view my finds album

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •