Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEL Coils any good?

NEL Coils any good?

I been looking for a DD for my TR. Unfortunately very few places carry the coils with push-in connectors. There are some I did find with no mods needed from metaldetecting.com ($128) and KellyCo ($135).
    EDIT: the push on styles I did find on those sites are not NEL brand.

I have been searching the internet a bit for the past few months, besides for the research for places, and I did stumble upon some information the coils for the fisher F4 work on Bounty Hunter models. Yes, yes... there might be a plan to upgrade my machine but I can still become proficient with this one and tweek (not twerk) my attack on detecting spots. Has anyone used the NEL coils? I just shot them an email asking if they have any coils with push-on connectors because they do carry coils for the BH models without a discription of connection style. It would be better to change at the machine to mate with screw on connector but it is still in BH's 5 year warranty so I will have to see about having them do the work so I don't void warranty. I am sure that even tho I work at an FAA/CAAC, ISO9110 shop that it won't grant exception to the warranty. That being said, most issues are at the connector (with electronics in general). It's the weakest link, hence why I would like to change the connector...But it would leave my stock 8" and spare 4" useless (unless there is an adapter). Just wondering tho if anyone has used the NEL coils even if not for the BH models. Due to categories, tho, I had to post under the BH section of the forum.

EDIT: I did find forums and possible home made adaptees using a mic cable for the threaded 5 pin end and get solder mating connector for 6 pin DIN. Whichever way. Male-female to keep stock panel connector or Female-male to replace stock connector but still be able to use old coils with new connector.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 01-05-2015 at 07:14 PM.

No one? Some places say these are in demand and are stable and sensitive. I found a dealer that says push in connectors is a special order option. Waiting on a reply from them. NO need for an adapter or any mod to control box. Thinking to get the Sharpshuter or Hunter coil. Would the large DD be harder to differentiate when multiple targets are under the huge coil? The Big, Attack, Storm, and Tornado I am thinking are more for hunting open fields where you can swing that monster and there might be areas with quiet ground and possibility for targets to be far in between. Sure these are not for a trashy park. I figure just a slight step up in size from stock 8" to use a 9.5x 5.5 or 12.5x 8.5 would give slightly greater depth and better separation due to the DD configuration. Maybe like the target separation of a 4" but depth of a 10"...

http://golddiggermetaldetectors.com/nelcoils.phpBest price ive found ill be getting the Sharpshuter for my ace 350 ive heard nothing but good things about the NEL coils
    Last edited by Nesdore; 01-14-2015 at 07:38 PM.
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Nesdore, I found two places that carry them for the same price. The only difference is one has free shipping. You, only needing screw on, which is more readily available, and for the 350 I only saw it at gold digger. So the other site wouldn't help you out. I just checked their list. I found mixed reviews about both the SEF and NEL. Like 1 out or 5 reviews for each brand (SEF being Detech) were negative saying the new coil caused the machine to be erratic. All the other ones including air test videos I saw on Youtube for both brands show they go deeper and had better separation. I have a feeling they will be better.

I don't know anything about them. I seen them over the summer. I always liked my 6x10 for my DFX. I was thinking about trying out the NEL 5.5 x 9.5 for my Etrac. They're not giving those things away!!!
    Maybe I'll give one a shot this summer...
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

I just seen on a website, for the 5.5 x 9.5 they're asking $122.
    That's not quite as bad as I remembered.
    Maybe I will have to give one a shot.
    Last edited by Ill Digger; 01-15-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Yeah Tim. They are a bit lower than MSRP and definitely lower than the SEF. I believe the SEF for the F2/F4 was 180. The sharpshooter for the F2/F4, which I need, is 101 while the 11" DD I found either 127 or 136 depending on place. The 11"DD is merely the stock for a pro package detector. Not an upgrade coil. Tim/Nes, mine will take a few weeks because my machine has the push on connector. You can wait a bit yourselves to see how mine turns out. Different machines so if I get 2" more depth and better separation, there is no guarantee yours will get 2" BUT you should still get at least more depth and separation. May not be equivalent but similar outcome to reiterate. I will probably give it a try somewhere maybe in the woods or just in the backyard where I can do whatever test. Even bury a coin in a big flower pot and use garden soil.

Looks like the item has arrived at customs at least. Then from there to a distributor. So sometime next week I should have it. Any chance all this snow will be gone by then? Maybe I can bury coins in the snow to test it out. Or use my idea of a big flower pot with soil. Note tho I said mine is special order for the push in connector style. I woulda had it two weeks ago if I could use the screw on connector.

It would have arrived Monday at my door if my driveway wasn't filled with snow while I was at work. It got re-delivered yesterday. So far it's impressive. I might have been better to get the hunter series, but I didn't find the hunter for the F2/F4 with Colonial. The size of the wire is a bit impressive. Maybe it's triple shielded and the Tx Rx channels are thicker wires. Plug and play. Worked perfect with my Time Ranger. The numbers didn't even change, but the readings are more stable. It arrived just in time to not be able to use it. If I get a few farms, like one I saw in my travels a few times to a friend's house, with ridic fields I might think about something like the Big or Tornado series. The cellar holes I have are filled with a ton of iron so the sharpshooter might be my best bet. Still going to do something with depth and separation comparison to stock 8" coil.

Awesome glad to hear you got it.....can you post a pic of it just to see what it looks like all hooked up ill be getting mine shortly cant wait

OK, OK! I can't wait any longer. I just ordered one too.
    Nesdore, I went through Windy City Detectors and they are selling theirs for the same price as the site you mentioned.
    Now I've got two small coils for the E-trac. Sometime I'll have to try a bigger than stock coil.
    Maybe if I win the Powerball tonight!

Name:  20150211_200558.jpg
Views: 2351
Size:  54.6 KBName:  20150211_200708.jpg
Views: 2392
Size:  73.9 KBName:  20150211_200748.jpg
Views: 2381
Size:  60.9 KB

NES, here's the pics. It came with the velcro strap for the wire on shaft and came with a set of hardware too With rubber washers. And coil cover as they say on the site. Tim, if you win the power ball you can buy me a second (larger) one too. Haha. I ain't asking much. Maybe then you can not work and spend your time detecting. Travel where it's warm when the ground is frozen. I made the joke to the gf " ok we're going to Tahiti cuz there's a treasure yet to be found that's classified as real. Lol.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 02-11-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks Ill for the other site GL with the lotto I agree with mango it's not asking much to buy us both a new bigger coil and mango thanks for the pictures looks very well made can't wait to get mine envious of you

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Tim, if you win the power ball you can buy me a second (larger) one too. Haha. I ain't asking much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesdore View Post
    Thanks Ill for the other site GL with the lotto I agree with mango it's not asking much to buy us both a new bigger coil
    My first "new best friends"!

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    My first "new best friends"!
    I'm not the type where my friendship needs to be bought..... but it doesn't hurt. You do have to admit I'm not asking for a Koenigsegg if you win. Or pretending to be a long lost relative or the tax man. With all that free time you will have to detect and a $7000 machine, you need to help otherwise it will be one sided with you posting all the finds.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    I'm not the type where my friendship needs to be bought..... but it doesn't hurt. You do have to admit I'm not asking for a Koenigsegg if you win. Or pretending to be a long lost relative or the tax man. With all that free time you will have to detect and a $7000 machine, you need to help otherwise it will be one sided with you posting all the finds.
    Well I guess I don't have to worry about going into hiding. No winning ticket here.
    The coil Nazi, "no free coils for you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Well I guess I don't have to worry about going into hiding. No winning ticket here.
    The coil Nazi, "no free coils for you!"
    Lol dang o well I think I might buy one anyway

Just ordered my sharpshooter, jolly roger head phones and ready shovel to carry my t handle shovel happy early birthday to me lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nesdore View Post
    Just ordered my sharpshooter, jolly roger head phones and ready shovel to carry my t handle shovel happy early birthday to me lol
    Had to check your bio for what you swing. You must have gotten the 350 when it was just a 10" concentric. I had no idea of the ready shovel. I only remember Del's hook-mod to his old shovel. $17 is a bit for a piece of plastic and leather, but the plastic coil covers cost about the same anyway. Thinking for a mini-sampson and now a ready shovel. Early b-day gift for me, by... a day. lol Hope you like the Nel, cuz it would mean I did a good with research and suggesting.