Thread: Hello from Huntsville, TX

Candidate Member

Hello from Huntsville, TX

I am a retired intellectual property (patent, trademarks, copyrights) attorney living near Huntsville, TX. I am a Texas native and am a graduate of the University of Texas at Austin in electrical engineering and law. I have lived in Iowa and Michigan as well as Texas through the years. My last job was as Chief Intellectual Property Counsel for Meritor, Inc., an automotive supplier in Troy, MI.

I describe myself as a serial hobbyist. Through the years I have engaged in photography, ham radio (WD5CID/KY8T/KV5M- now extra class), astronomy, computers, Jeeping, genealogy, and metal detecting. I enjoy writing computer programs for fun. Years ago I had a very successful shareware program to teach Morse code called "Super Morse." Now I write web pages using HTML, PHP and JavaScript.

I am a history buff, and my wife and I like to travel in our RV. Out last major trip was t Alaska last summer. I enjoy reading non-fiction, mainly history, and especially military history.

I serve on my small town city council, area emergency services district board, county historical commission and a board for an independent living home for those with mental issues.

I bought my first metal detector, a White's Spectrum XLT about 2000 after sitting next to an enthusiast on an airplane flight, but I did not use it very much. I recently became interested in metal detecting again and bought a Garrett AT Pro and had my White's failing screen replaced to use as a backup and guest machine. One of my objectives is to get some exercise.

If you are within striking distance of Huntsville, TX and would like to get together for an MD hunt, send me a message.

Welcome from Illinois!

"Serial Hobbyist", now that sounds like my kind of lifestyle!

You possess one quality that is common amongst most metal detectorists, and interest in history. That is what drives many of us, a fascination with finding something in the ground that was lost 100+ years ago, and what we can learn from these objects. The thrill of the hunt, and the excitement when a bit of research pays off with a productive site.

Best of luck with your re-entry into the hobby and we will be looking forward to hearing about some of your finds.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That is quite a resume Sixbits and great intro , welcome to the forum . Texas has some great old and proud history , I know I would love a chance to find some and the thought of traveling around in an RV sounds exciting. Glad you joined up here .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome from NY
    Garrett AT Max
    Garrett AT Gold
    Garrett AT Pro

Hi SixBits,
    Welcome from a fellow "T-Sipper". We live in the Pineywoods of East Texas. Glad you found the forum and congratulations on your return to the hobby. We are part time RV'ers and frequent the state parks. Hope we can venture your way and hook up for some huntin'. Good luck with the ATP and show us what you find. \m/
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Welcome from Washington state, SixBits. I just received my Amateur Extra ticket last week (K7KWN). Don't know what I'll do with it, but really just wanted to see if I could pass the test. I was down in Texas in October. In fact I drove to to visit Mownomo in east Texas from Dallas to get a little detecting in. Anyway, good to have you on board!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Impressive resume indeed !!

Welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to reading you.

Welcome to the forum from Kalamazoo

Candidate Member
    Thanks. I don't do much with my ticket either. Give me a shout if you are down this way again.

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac View Post
    Welcome from Washington state, SixBits. I just received my Amateur Extra ticket last week (K7KWN). Don't know what I'll do with it, but really just wanted to see if I could pass the test. I was down in Texas in October. In fact I drove to to visit Mownomo in east Texas from Dallas to get a little detecting in. Anyway, good to have you on board!

Candidate Member
    Thanks. I lived in Birmingham and Bloobfield Township for about 10 years and worked in Troy. So I have a little Michigander in me.

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    Welcome to the forum from Kalamazoo

Candidate Member
    "Serial Hobbyist"! My wife says that fits me to a "T".
    Welcome from a fellow Native Texan.

Welcome from western MA. Looking forward to seeing your finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Welcome to the world of "digaholics." from the great white north of youz! Canuck.
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leslie(nova scotia) View Post
    Welcome to the world of "digaholics." from the great white north of youz! Canuck.
    Thanks. I have a tiny bit of Nova Scotia in me because my 3rd great-grandfather came from there. The family name was Freeman. We plan to do an RV trip to NS in 2016.

Lee
    Garrett AT Pro / Whites Spectrum XLT / Garrett ProPointer

Glad you found us Lee and hope you enjoy the site!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum form SE Wisconsin. It good to have you with us.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Welcome Sixbits! Great group of folks here. I worked for the Meritor group.... OEM exhaust systems plant here in MO. Still work there just under a different name.

Dig in and have fun....
    Minelab Etrac, BH 202.
    2015 silvers 32
    2015, $71.80, 12 Merc's, 11 Rosies, 2 Walkers, 3 Washingtons, 4 war nickels, 2 buffs, 30 wheats....