Thread: Looking for input. Which to choose?

Looking for input. Which to choose?

What would be a good suggestion for the significant other to have for a detector? She did tell me to just get a better one and she will use mine. And I got a new NEL DD coiming to try out!!? Although I would like one just a tad bit newer I am gunning to be proficient with the one I have. I would like the Vx3 as it is almost like the V3i, but it looks like the battery life is half what I would like. Only eight hours; So one maybe two hunts on 8-AA batteries. The only one I found between 400 and 800 with dual frequency would be the Fisher CZ but I don't like the box and knobs. I would rather buttons and gui and LCD. Kinda why I wanna just stick with what I got.

Anyway, I think it's a tough decision to make for a machine between these three.The weakness of one is a strenght of the other. Even if it was for me I wouldn't know what to pick out of these three. They are all VLF and close in frequency. All have pinpoint modes and auto/manual ground balancing. And they are all almost the same price. I'll only point out the differences. I do believe she's a beginner which is why I chose ease of use. No fiddlin' with knobs and boy would I think the ground balance to the F4 would be a pain pumping the detector every time you start out.

Bounty Hunter Platinum (made by Texas First)
    4 Tones
    Takes one 9V.
    0-99 VDI. (actually 10-99)
    3 segment depth indicator
    6 levels of sensitivity
    *this has the control box on separate handle shaft
    * Rated at 9" depth of US quarter

Teknetics Delta 4000 (made by Texas First)
    3 Tones
    Takes one 9V.
    0-99 VDI. (actually 10-99)
    5 segment depth indicator.
    8 levels of sensitivity
    * Rated at 11" depth of US quarter

Whites' coinmaster Pro
    3 Tones
    Takes two 9V.
    5 segment depth indicator.
    NO VDI reading
    8 levels of sensitivity.
    Only 2 year warranty.
    * looks like limited stock?

The one I was going to suggest is the third choice on your list. Whites used to call that the Prizm IV. Which was my first detector. I made lots of good finds with it. It will take a little time to learn it, but not too complicated.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

I would also consider the Garrett Ace 350. I know someone who uses one and is eating it up with it. Had White's for 30 years and they are super reliable machines.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Looks like they might have updated the 350 a bit this past year. I only saw the 250 having an 8" and 350 having 10" and there was one other minor difference. Now the 350 comes with a DD and I don't remember the 250 having as much on the display as now. Maybe what I saw 8 months ago was old inventory?

Ok. Changed my mind and it's down to either the Garrett GRI 2500 Or the Nokta Racer. Sure the latter is a newer company and from Turkey, but it's got identical "upgrades" I made, but are integrated. The Garrett tho has the imaging which intrigues me. Maybe it will help with the huge iron that sounds like coins, not just the cans. Seeing as I can dig 5 axe heads in the same area for just that issue, might be a good idea. $300 difference between them but git gives 2 coils and rain cover. But takes twice the batteries and 1 lb heavier. Different features between the two which combination outweighs the other. To me seems marginal. Altho the DSP technology I have specifically worked with and it's used in many applications and is very flexible technology.

coinmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    The one I was going to suggest is the third choice on your list. Whites used to call that the Prizm IV. Which was my first detector. I made lots of good finds with it. It will take a little time to learn it, but not too complicated.
    This is the machine I started with when I got back into detecting. I also got some great finds with it and its still my backup.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

The coinmaster pro is an excellent detector. My hunting buddy (88 years old) uses the coinmaster pro and I am amazed how many coins he finds with it. It is very easy to use and learn and additional coils are available for the coinmaster pro.

My daughter uses the Delta 4000, simple and light.
    Name:  20140421 (5).jpg
Views: 322
Size:  58.2 KB
    She even made the Teknetics ad in W/E Treasure magazine

Yeah, Chief. The Delta 4000 looked simple and the specs for it were fairly good for what it said. I will quote Dave, I believe, who told me I wasn't missing anything with my BH (which is also made by Texas First). The fact White's has been getting good reviews, and yes, Lee's multiple suggestions to the coin master did make me think to go with that one. Granted the situation is that the miss works more days than I do, so I will prob be the one who can get more use from it. This first season I will be trying out the new coil more and becoming more proficient with the BH. Why wouldn't I? And thers always a chance to get out and try what she gets.

I will say, tho, that I went to a dealer who right away swayed away from the Tech brands (or at least lower price models) stating the technology is old... and immediately went to the CTX 3030 stating about how it can see thru mineralization unlike any other detector. The Etrac was placed #2 followed by the V3i and vx3. I don't think I have broken even (If I sold my finds) after a full season. There was obvi some hinderances. Sometimes lacking planning on location, even tho the research was sound. Not always follow through. Sometimes it's just easiest to hit a place you don't need permission, right after work. This season will be better... but I was using it as a reference to pricing of a detector in relation to how much use you get and how many finds you make with it.

Yup, so many situations and detectors to choose from its a tough decision to make. Research, and just simply putting the coil over the good stuff has as much to do with it as what detector you are using. Ironically the day Natalie found the LC in the picture she out hunted both me (with a CTX) and my cousin with a DFX.

Good luck.

About the Garrett GTI 2500: It is my first detector, and I like it. It is a bit more on the expensive side, but the 18" average coin depth an it's imaging really got to me. I don't know much about whites or tekenics detectors, so I decided to stick with the GTI.
    Like any other detector, it has some down sides. It is hard for me, because I'm a beginner, to manually ground balance it when in high mineralized soil, especially on the beach. You have to learn which signals are fake(the faint ones) and which are real. It gets the depth and size right about 70 percent of the time. I don't like how it is not waterproof, but that is only a minor down, unless you live right next to a beach an love surf hunting.
    It is a good detector, especially to a more experienced person like you. I just wanted to let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk