Thread: First Hunt of 2015 - Indians and Barbers

First Hunt of 2015 - Indians and Barbers

It was a gorgeous day here today! Sunny with a high of 49 degrees. I was able to detect even though the ground is still rather frozen. Some places were easier to dig than others.

At the first park I found 3 Wheat Cents and 2 Barber Dimes. The dimes are dated 1897 and 1903-O.

At the second park I found 2 Indian Heads, 8 Wheat Cents and 1 Mercury Dime.

Here are today's finds:
    Name:  Pile-0124_zpsjbsq3wza.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  139.6 KB

And the keepers:
    Name:  Keepers-0124_zpswpgncjil.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  129.8 KB

The two Barber Dimes were about a foot apart along the edge of an old sidewalk at the first park.
    Name:  Oldies-Hand_zps7smwyxxu.jpg
Size:  122.6 KB

Some of the non-coin objects I found today. I always enjoy finding the old coal scatter tags, and I hadn't found one from this brand before:
    Name:  Relics-0124_zpsjb7zy63n.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  119.6 KB

The wings aren't marked, I think they are silver plated:
    Name:  Wings-F_zpsiftz72fd.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  76.3 KBName:  Wings-B_zpszcqvsyzs.jpg
Size:  82.1 KB

It sure was nice getting out in January! Last year I wasn't able to go detecting until mid March.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-19-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Looks like your off to the races Tony. 3 Silvers already
    I'm glad you found some soft ground today. It really paid off for you.
    Congrats on all your finds. I'm looking forward to all your posts this season.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Very nice finds Tony. Congratulations on scoring some great keepers. The barbers are in amazing shape. The GOC (ground observer corps) was started in WW2 and ended in 1944. It's purpose was to spot any Japanese or German planes that might invade America. It was brought back to life in the 1950s to help spot any USSR planes that might invade. It was disbanded in 1958 with the development of "over the horizon" radar. WW2 versions of the wings were sometimes sterling but the 50's versions were as you suspected, silver plated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Full Metal Digger; 01-24-2015 at 11:27 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Oh no. Your already 3 ahead of me! Now I'll never catch up !
    Be gentle please!
    Nice start to the season Tony!
    Congrats!!
    I'm gonna try a field spot tomorrow. I'll have to see if we get any of this snow storm tonight.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Congrats Tony! Thanks for sharing, as I am detecting vicariously through others on the Internet....6 inches of snow yesterday and another foot and 1/2 coming Tuesday here in the Boston area!
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Very neat finds ! I never get tired of IHs and Barbers !

Tony great way to kick off 2015 2 Barbers and 2 Indian Heads and a Merc to boot HUGE CONGRATS
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Great finds Tony and you're off and running again. Got a question for you. I know it varies from place to place/hunt to hunt but what would you guess are the average coin depths for the barbers/mercs you find? I've found a few silvers with my F2 over the past year and a half since I picked up this great hobby, but not many. I'm imagining most of those coins are a tad deep for my machine in the standard town park.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Got a question for you. I know it varies from place to place/hunt to hunt but what would you guess are the average coin depths for the barbers/mercs you find?
    The majority of the Mercs are about 6 inches deep, and the Barbers average about 7 inches. Rarely do I find silver dimes that are over 8 inches deep.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

WTG Tony! Glad you were able to snag some keepers. We're under a blizzard warning tonight. Snow drifts are expects to be 4 to 6 FEET!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Glad you were able to hunt Tony. As usual, you brought home the bacon. I love the wings. I remember them well. My uncle was an observer and later an officer in the Civil Air Patrol. Keep up the good work. Always enjoy your posts.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Looks like a pocket full of keepers! 2015 is looking good!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    The GOC (ground observer corps) was started in WW2 and ended in 1944. It's purpose was to spot any Japanese or German planes that might invade America. It was brought back to life in the 1950s to help spot any USSR planes that might invade. It was disbanded in 1958 with the development of "over the horizon" radar. WW2 versions of the wings were sometimes sterling but the 50's versions were as you suspected, silver plated.

Thanks for this information, Dave, I really appreciate it. I hadn't researched the wings yet so I had no idea how old they were.

Good to know!
    Lifetime totals:

Congrats on getting out and getting that silver count started Tony! Only thing detectors are good for here today (and a while) is finding the car.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Great hunt Tony, nice pile of keepers! That coal tag is really neat...need to put that on my list! Looks like some cold temps moving in next week....Saturday may be the last "unfrozen ground" day for a while... HH & GL, Dan
    Minelab Etrac, BH 202.
    2015 silvers 32
    2015, $71.80, 12 Merc's, 11 Rosies, 2 Walkers, 3 Washingtons, 4 war nickels, 2 buffs, 30 wheats....

Tony, sorry for the late reply. Once again you got a handful of keepers. on the silvers and IH's. By the way it looks around here detecting by March is at best hopeful.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album