Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: New here very surprised at the lack of resonant post's

  1. #21
    Veteran Member SeabeeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Thanks! I agree - it's a pulchritudinous outfit. And definitely.... dominating.

    Well, the full chemical name for titin is a brobdingnagian word for sure. Yes, I can recite it from memory. It was required knowledge in order to graduate (so we could "practice"). However, there are potentially longer words than that, did you know? For example, if you were to name a strand of DNA, with all of the repeating base pairs/possible combinations, you could easily be into the millions or even billions of letters.

    I was looking for a good engineering joke to post, since you poked fun at my profession. But I couldn't find one that was funny.
    This is getting good now!! (a three bagger!)
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Thanks! I agree - it's a pulchritudinous outfit. And definitely.... dominating.

    Well, the full chemical name for titin is a brobdingnagian word for sure. Yes, I can recite it from memory. It was required knowledge in order to graduate (so we could "practice"). However, there are potentially longer words than that, did you know? For example, if you were to name a strand of DNA, with all of the repeating base pairs/possible combinations, you could easily be into the millions or even billions of letters.

    I was looking for a good engineering joke to post, since you poked fun at my profession. But I couldn't find one that was funny.
    Ah, that's because us engineers don't have a sense of humor. I thought you knew that.

    Here is one:

    A Engineer gets home from work and sees a note on the fridge from his wife. “This isn’t working, I’m at my moms”. he opens the fridge and checks the light, then grabs a beer and feels it cold. The engineer thinks to himself. “The fridge works fine”.

    Here is one for your side:

    Doctors at a hospital in Brooklyn, New York have gone on strike. Hospital officials say they will find out what the Doctors' demands are as soon as they can get a pharmacist over there to read the picket signs!
    Last edited by Rudy; 07-11-2015 at 10:07 PM.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

  3. #23
    Owner/Administrator Epi-hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    5,439
    Oh, I suspected that engineers don't have a sense of humor. Do engineers wear pocket protectors or is that just accountants?

    I can cover both professions in one joke:

    Once upon a time there were three men: a doctor, a city planner, and an engineer. For some reason all three offended the king and were sentenced to die on the same day.
    The day of the execution arrived, and the doctor was led up to the guillotine. As he strapped the doctor to the guillotine, the executioner asked, "Head up or head down?"
    "Head up," said the doctor.
    "Blindfold or no blindfold?"
    "No blindfold."
    So the executioner raised the axe, and z-z-z-z-ing! Down came the blade--and stopped barely an inch above the doctor's neck. Well, the law stated that if an execution didn't succeed the first time the prisoner had to be released, so the doctor was set free.
    Then the city planner was led up to the guillotine.
    "Head up or head down?" said the executioner.
    "Head up."
    "Blindfold or no blindfold?"
    "No blindfold."
    So the executioner raised his axe, and z-z-z-z-ing! Down came the blade--and stopped an inch above the planner's neck. Well, the law stated that if the execution didn't succeed the first time the prisoner had to be released, so the planner was set free.
    Finally the engineer was led up to the guillotine.
    "Head up or head down?"
    "Head up."
    "Blindfold or no blindfold?"
    "No blindfold."
    So the executioner raised his axe, but before he could cut the rope, the engineer yelled out:
    "WAIT! I see what the problem is!"
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250


  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Oh, I suspected that engineers don't have a sense of humor. Do engineers wear pocket protectors or is that just accountants?

    I can cover both professions in one joke:

    Once upon a time there were three men: a doctor, a city planner, and an engineer. For some reason all three offended the king and were sentenced to die on the same day.
    The day of the execution arrived, and the doctor was led up to the guillotine. As he strapped the doctor to the guillotine, the executioner asked, "Head up or head down?"
    "Head up," said the doctor.
    "Blindfold or no blindfold?"
    "No blindfold."
    So the executioner raised the axe, and z-z-z-z-ing! Down came the blade--and stopped barely an inch above the doctor's neck. Well, the law stated that if an execution didn't succeed the first time the prisoner had to be released, so the doctor was set free.
    Then the city planner was led up to the guillotine.
    "Head up or head down?" said the executioner.
    "Head up."
    "Blindfold or no blindfold?"
    "No blindfold."
    So the executioner raised his axe, and z-z-z-z-ing! Down came the blade--and stopped an inch above the planner's neck. Well, the law stated that if the execution didn't succeed the first time the prisoner had to be released, so the planner was set free.
    Finally the engineer was led up to the guillotine.
    "Head up or head down?"
    "Head up."
    "Blindfold or no blindfold?"
    "No blindfold."
    So the executioner raised his axe, but before he could cut the rope, the engineer yelled out:
    "WAIT! I see what the problem is!"
    Bravo! Yep, a true engineer.

    The seven-year old girl told her mom, "A boy in my class asked me to play doctor."
    "Oh, dear," the mother nervously sighed. "What happened, honey?"
    "Nothing, he made me wait 45 minutes and then double-billed the insurance company."
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

  5. #25
    Owner/Administrator Epi-hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    5,439
    Ha. Ha. And Ha.



    Glad I didn't go to law school.

    You're an engineer so you can hardly be technology-challenged, so what's your excuse for dismissing my invitation of a game of Words With Friends - other than you know you will lose?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250


  6. #26
    Veteran Member SeabeeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Ha. Ha. And Ha.



    Glad I didn't go to law school.

    You're an engineer so you can hardly be technology-challenged, so what's your excuse for dismissing my invitation of a game of Words With Friends - other than you know you will lose?
    Don't think Rudy does the FB thing.
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

  7. #27
    Owner/Administrator Epi-hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    5,439
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    Don't think Rudy does the FB thing.
    I hate Facebook with a passion.

    It's actually a phone app - scrabble.

    It's okay though; I'm happy to remain undefeated
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250


  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    I hate Facebook with a passion.

    It's actually a phone app - scrabble.

    It's okay though; I'm happy to remain undefeated
    Me too, no FB.

    I also hate smartphones. You believe I still use a flip phone? All I want/need from a
    cell phone is to send/receive phone calls. That's it! No emails, no web surfing, no apps.

    So I guess you remain undefeated.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

  9. #29
    Owner/Administrator Epi-hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    5,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Me too, no FB.

    I also hate smartphones. You believe I still use a flip phone? All I want/need from a
    cell phone is to send/receive phone calls. That's it! No emails, no web surfing, no apps.

    So I guess you remain undefeated.
    Hey, we all have to have an excuse.

    I believe you though. I know you.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250


  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Hey, we all have to have an excuse.

    I believe you though. I know you.
    It's an "old fart" thing. There were no cell phones when I grew up and when they came out, we were forced to get them (I was out of engineering and into marketing then). In essence, free time was not free anymore. Always within reach of the boss or our sales force.

    Grew to dislike cell phones. I need one for family/emergency, but no way do I want to be one of those people that are constantly checking their FB page or sending tweets. Guess I am an anachronism. A highly technical guy that refuses to embrace a certain technology.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

  11. #31
    Owner/Administrator Epi-hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    5,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    It's an "old fart" thing. There were no cell phones when I grew up and when they came out, we were forced to get them (I was out of engineering and into marketing then). In essence, free time was not free anymore. Always within reach of the boss or our sales force.

    Grew to dislike cell phones. I need one for family/emergency, but no way do I want to be one of those people that are constantly checking their FB page or sending tweets. Guess I am an anachronism. A highly technical guy that refuses to embrace a certain technology.
    When I was still working at St Joe's a couple of years ago I had to carry my iphone, a work iphone, and a pager. Sometimes all three went off at the same time

    So I hear you.

    I only keep a Facebook account because my family insists on it and because we have an AD Facebook page which would go down if I took my personal account down. One of my "friends" from high school (he is a jerk) used to post every morning at like 5AM, all saccharine sweet syrupy stuff, talking about what a wonderful miracle day it is, how he is so grateful for all of life's gifts, how his profound love for his family keeps him alive, how each day is a new blessing, and on and on. Okay fine, once is good but every freaking DAY?!?! I had to tie my hands so I would not make a snarky reply. Then later I found out that he had been having an affair for the last 5 years, one of his kids was in prison and the other in rehab, and his house was in foreclosure. OMG. I hate Fakebook.

    I thought flip phones were all in museums by now. My grandma, who died a couple of years ago at the age of 99, had an iphone 5. Do you still have beerdoodle over there?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250


  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    When I was still working at St Joe's a couple of years ago I had to carry my iphone, a work iphone, and a pager. Sometimes all three went off at the same time

    So I hear you.

    I only keep a Facebook account because my family insists on it and because we have an AD Facebook page which would go down if I took my personal account down. One of my "friends" from high school (he is a jerk) used to post every morning at like 5AM, all saccharine sweet syrupy stuff, talking about what a wonderful miracle day it is, how he is so grateful for all of life's gifts, how his profound love for his family keeps him alive, how each day is a new blessing, and on and on. Okay fine, once is good but every freaking DAY?!?! I had to tie my hands so I would not make a snarky reply. Then later I found out that he had been having an affair for the last 5 years, one of his kids was in prison and the other in rehab, and his house was in foreclosure. OMG. I hate Fakebook.

    I thought flip phones were all in museums by now. My grandma, who died a couple of years ago at the age of 99, had an iphone 5. Do you still have beerdoodle over there?
    Wow! You went to an interesting high school. I lost track of what happened to the rest of my graduating class, probably for lack of interest on my part, as there were only 47 graduating seniors that year.

    Flip phones are alive and well. Just got a new one in the mail today, to replace my aging Motorola flip phone.

    PS: Your buddy Kemper re-registered at Dankowski's, posing as his wife.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

  13. #33
    I didn't realize this thread was so old . Well , welcome to the forum Weston . Only one post ? I did enjoy the humor that Epi and Rudy injected into this thread . At my age (or any age for that matter ) laughter is a good thing especially on a daily basis . Hmmmm.........
    I wonder how a daily joke or humor forum would do here ?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    I didn't realize this thread was so old . Well , welcome to the forum Weston . Only one post ? I did enjoy the humor that Epi and Rudy injected into this thread . At my age (or any age for that matter ) laughter is a good thing especially on a daily basis . Hmmmm.........
    I wonder how a daily joke or humor forum would do here ?
    Humor? Sir, I was deadly serious.

    I enjoy bantering with Epi. She's the smartest woman I know.
    Last edited by Rudy; 07-16-2015 at 06:09 PM.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Humor? Sir, I was deadly serious.

    In enjoy bantering with Epi. She's the smartest woman I know.

    Well , I found the bantering quite humorous and on an intelligent level wether it was meant to be serious or not . I think one of the funniest ingredients in comedy is irony .

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Well , I found the bantering quite humorous and on an intelligent level wether it was meant to be serious or not . I think one of the funniest ingredients in comedy is irony .
    I hope you know that I was pulling your leg.

    Epi and I try to stump each other by using gargantuan words, when lilliputian ones would do just as well.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

  17. #37
    Administrator del's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Well , I found the bantering quite humorous and on an intelligent level wether it was meant to be serious or not . I think one of the funniest ingredients in comedy is irony .
    I agree Cheap Thrills !!

    Rudy I'm an elementary chum but a prodigious fan of "lilliputian" words and also enjoyed you two.

    Dan
    DFX ,TDI sl -

    Click here to view my finds album

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I hope you know that I was pulling your leg.

    Nowadays one can't be sure about anything . I have had my leg pulled so many times that I can only walk in circles .
    Epi and I try to stump each other by using gargantuan words, when lilliputian ones would do just as well.
    I have witnessed a few of these bouts .Way over my head as I have not been introduced to any of them in crossword puzzles or scrabble .

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    I agree Cheap Thrills !!

    Rudy I'm an elementary chum but a prodigious fan of "lilliputian" words and also enjoyed you two.

    Dan
    Glad you enjoyed the exchange Dan.

    I have a question for you. You name is Dan but your screen name is Del. Both begin with "D" and each is three letters. Why not just go with Dan for a screen name, specially since you sign your name at the bottom of your post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    I have witnessed a few of these bouts .Way over my head as I have not been introduced to any of them in crossword puzzles or scrabble .
    Like I said, Epi is the smartest woman I know. You have to work with assidiousness to challenge her. She is pretty comely too, if you ignore the dirt under her fingernails after a hard day 'tecting.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Glad you enjoyed the exchange Dan.

    I have a question for you. You name is Dan but your screen name is Del. Both begin with "D" and each is three letters. Why not just go with Dan for a screen name, specially since you sign your name at the bottom of your post.

    Or ........you could add three letters and still come up with one name dandelion








    Like I said, Epi is the smartest woman I know. You have to work with assidiousness to challenge her. She is pretty comely too, if you ignore the dirt under her fingernails after a hard day 'tecting.



    Comely and intelligent is nice but all that and detecting dirt under her fingers would make a passionate detectorist like me howl at the moon .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •