Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New here very surprised at the lack of resonant post's

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Glad you enjoyed the exchange Dan.

I have a question for you. You name is Dan but your screen name is Del. Both begin with "D" and each is three letters. Why not just go with Dan for a screen name, specially since you sign your name at the bottom of your post.
    Great question Rudy no.1 Dan is already taken as a username by a very nice gentleman here and no.2 Mathematics was a hobby of mine at one time but I encourage my friends to call me Dan.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Great question Rudy no.1 Dan is already taken as a username by a very nice gentleman here and no.2 Mathematics was a hobby of mine at one time but I encourage my friends to call me Dan.
    Oh, I didn't know the name was already taken. Makes sense.

Mathematics as a hobby? That's what my son does for a living.

What branch of math do you do as a hobby?
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

Notice how Rudy says that I am the smartest "woman" he knows.

Gotta get that gender dig in there, don't you?

That's fine. I know the only reason you won't give up your beloved flip phone is because you are AFRAID I'll beat you at Scrabble.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Notice how Rudy says that I am the smartest "woman" he knows.

Gotta get that gender dig in there, don't you?

That's fine. I know the only reason you won't give up your beloved flip phone is because you are AFRAID I'll beat you at Scrabble.
    Hey! You left out the comely part.

I had to qualify it, no sexism involved. The smartest person I know (actually, knew since he is deceased) is Richard Feynman. Absolutely the brightest, most unassuming intellect, ever. I met him many, many, many years ago when I was working at Bell Labs in New Jersey.
    Last edited by Rudy; 07-19-2015 at 07:43 PM.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

Hey! You left out the comely part.

I had to qualify it, no sexism involved. The smartest person I know (actually, knew since he is deceased) is Richard Feynman. Absolutely the brightest, most unassuming intellect, ever. I met him many, many, many years ago when I was working at Bell Labs in New Jersey.
    Okay, I'll accept that.

You're no slouch yourself when it comes to intellect.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Comely and intelligent is nice but all that and detecting dirt under her fingers would make a passionate detectorist like me howl at the moon .
    Oh come on. I clean it every week or so.

Okay, I'll accept that.

You're no slouch yourself when it comes to intellect.
    Naw, it gets dimmer as I get older. Entropy at work.

Naw, it gets dimmer as I get older. Entropy at work.
    OMG. I haven't had to think about entropy since pre-med inorganic chemistry 4:13 weedout course. Thank you for that memory!

Hey, we all have to have an excuse.

I believe you though. I know you.
    Hey, it looks like I'm not alone. I feel vindicated. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...07af29d5729ae?

OMG. I haven't had to think about entropy since pre-med inorganic chemistry 4:13 weedout course. Thank you for that memory!
    Entropy is always on my mind....unless I forget. But even if I forget, my entropy is always
    going up. After all, it is the second law.

OMG, where did you dig that article up?

Well, I dropped my phone 3 times today when getting out of the car (I have a habit of setting it on my lap, then I forget it's there and just get out of the car and it falls onto the pavement. You would think I would not keep doing it, but I do). The third time the screen finally broke. It's okay; I'm due for a new one as I'm using the prehistoric iphone 5 (the original version) and even my daughter has a 6.

Maybe I'll get an LG flip phone. Then I wouldn't have to deal with my kids' text messages.

Entropy is always on my mind....unless I forget. But even if I forget, my entropy is always
    going up. After all, it is the second law.
    The only good thing I got out of chemistry in college was that every time my umbrella blows inside out during a storm I think of the Walden inversion. Oh yeah, real useful stuff, that organic chemistry.

OMG, where did you dig that article up?

Well, I dropped my phone 3 times today when getting out of the car (I have a habit of setting it on my lap, then I forget it's there and just get out of the car and it falls onto the pavement. You would think I would not keep doing it, but I do). The third time the screen finally broke. It's okay; I'm due for a new one as I'm using the prehistoric iphone 5 (the original version) and even my daughter has a 6.

Maybe I'll get an LG flip phone. Then I wouldn't have to deal with my kids' text messages.
    Flip phones can send/receive SMS text messages, but not emails.

And what is that iPhone doing on your lap young lady? You aren't texting/surfing while driving, are you? Tsk, tsk, tsk

I have to spend some time with the phone's manual to figure out how to connect the Bluetooth link to my car...maybe this Sunday. Saturday we'll go over to our grandson's B-day party. He just turned 3.

The only good thing I got out of chemistry in college was that every time my umbrella blows inside out during a storm I think of the Walden inversion. Oh yeah, real useful stuff, that organic chemistry.
    It should have been called the Walden perversion as far as I'm concerned.
    Stereo chemical reactions my foot!

Here is a picture of Walden about to undergo inversion.
    Name:  inversiontablesteeter.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  8.7 KB

Organic chemistry was not my favorite subject either. I'd put it up there with Functions of Complex Variables.

But hey, there is all kinds of good stuff that comes out of organic chemistry! Just imagine, taking a bunch of corn kernels, grinding them up into a mash and letting them sit in a barrel for a couple of years. Whoila! Bourbon! Courtesy of organic chemistry.

OMG, that is the tilt-table test. We do that on people who we think have orthostatic hypotension when we are trying to rule out some kind of cardiac etiology. So if we spin them around and around on the table and they don't throw up and/or pass out and/or turn green then they are in the clear! Yay! That test makes me sick just looking at it. I would pass out in five seconds.

You can connect a flip phone to your car bluetooth? Wow. I had no idea they were that fancy.

You're an engineer. You're just afraid to get addicted to an iphone....

Edit: An anyone who would voluntarily register for a class called 'Functions of Complex Variables' deserves whatever they get. The name says it all.

Edit2: And I live in Kentucky. I didn't know bourbon was related to organic chemistry.

OMG, that is the tilt-table test. We do that on people who we think have orthostatic hypotension when we are trying to rule out some kind of cardiac etiology. So if we spin them around and around on the table and they don't throw up and/or pass out and/or turn green then they are in the clear! Yay! That test makes me sick just looking at it. I would pass out in five seconds.
    And here I thought you'd use it to invert yourself and relieve pressure from the spinal discs. What do I know?

But if you were to strap me down on that thing and spin me around and around, I would turn green and spray you with gastric fluids.

You can connect a flip phone to your car bluetooth? Wow. I had no idea they were that fancy.

You're an engineer. You're just afraid to get addicted to an iphone....
    Yep, I paired it to my car's cell phone console. Works great! It even displays my contact list on the car's LCD display.

iPhone does more than I want/need. My flip phone goes a whole week between recharging and I have two flip phones and 300 shareable minutes for ~$30/month.

Edit: An anyone who would voluntarily register for a class called 'Functions of Complex Variables' deserves whatever they get. The name says it all.

Edit2: And I live in Kentucky. I didn't know bourbon was related to organic chemistry.
    I must confess, there is a certain beauty in complex numbers. Who could have ever thought there was a connection between the trig functions (sine and cosine) and the exponential function? Euler did, with his equation, but it only happens with complex numbers.

Having said that, my elective --Underwater basket weaving 101-- was much more entertaining.

Bourbon is one excellent example of organic chemistry in action. Green Chartreuse is another one
    and it kept the monks that made the stuff celibate through the centuries. Best cold remedy ever too.

Epi ,Rudy and others , you may find the movie " Lucy" with Scarlet Johansson and Morgan Freeman to be quite interesting .

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Epi ,Rudy and others , you may find the movie " Lucy" with Scarlet Johansson and Morgan Freeman to be quite interesting .
    Any movie with Scarlet Johansson is quite interesting to me.

I understand the movie was quite successful financially, but the bit about people just using 10% of their brain capacity is a myth. In any case, it is quite an action filled movie.

Do you still have beerdoodle over there?
    He just showed up again in the last couple of days. He said he has had medical issues and had been in a coma!! I think he is being genuinely serious about it!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    He just showed up again in the last couple of days. He said he has had medical issues and had been in a coma!! I think he is being genuinely serious about it!!
    Ron, Where did her post go? Or, did you get it telepathically?

Ron, Where did her post go? Or, did you get it telepathically?
    The last sentence of post #31.
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    The last sentence of post #31.
    Thank you. You know, you cause too much confusion when you reply to a post on page 2 or earlier.

Uhh?... Hello
    I just found this "thread", and I am a little surprised at the minimal amount of resonant post lately...
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer