Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last Finds of 2014

Last Finds of 2014

Despite 2014 being my first year metal detecting I still had a great year, and I'm looking forward to 2015! Unfortunately us New Englanders are gonna have to wait for our 3 feet of snow to melt.

In late December I had one of my greatest hunts by far, I headed over to a house in search of a gold wedding ring the owner lost. After around 10 minutes of detecting I successfully found the ring, the owner was really happy and let me detect the rest of his yard. Within 15 minutes of searching I pulled my first complete colonial shoe buckle! And within another 10 minutes I pulled out my oldest coin to date! A 1730 KG II halfpenny! The most surprising thing to me is that the house I was detecting was built 1920, my explanation would be that the property would have been the farm field of the neighboring house built 1806.

After that I did a few other various hunts at some local cellar holes and ended the year with a few extra relics. Some of these finds I am not certain on and if you have an opinion or idea about it let me know!

Thanks for looking! Hope everybody has a great year!
    Whites MXT All Pro
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1721 Spanish 2 Reales
    Oldest Coin: 1699 King William III Halfpenny

Wow, Sam, those are some wonderful coins and relics!

That 1730 KG II Halfpenny is just slightly older than the coins we find here in Illinois. It still has very decent detail on it. Nice!

That complete shoe buckle is very cool too! I would be over the moon if I ever found a colonial relic like that!

Some of the other relics are very interesting as well. I see a crotal bell, some pieces of pewter utensils, a couple buttons like look like civil war era eagle buttons, and a shield buckle.

The snow will be melted before you know it and we will be back out there swinging!

Congrats on the nice finds!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Holy Cow Sam! That buckle is SWEET! I found one like it a few years ago and Dan said it was from the c.1740s. Congrats!!
    Does it say number 1 on that crotal bell? I love finding bells but I found a total of 0 last year.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Wow, Sam, those are some wonderful coins and relics!

That 1730 KG II Halfpenny is just slightly older than the coins we find here in Illinois. It still has very decent detail on it. Nice!

That complete shoe buckle is very cool too! I would be over the moon if I ever found a colonial relic like that!

Some of the other relics are very interesting as well. I see a crotal bell, some pieces of pewter utensils, a couple buttons like look like civil war era eagle buttons, and a shield buckle.

The snow will be melted before you know it and we will be back out there swinging!

Congrats on the nice finds!
    Thanks so much Tony! I am really happy with the finds I made at that home site, I plan to get back out there as soon as I can.
    Whites MXT All Pro

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Holy Cow Sam! That buckle is SWEET! I found one like it a few years ago and Dan said it was from the c.1740s. Congrats!!
    Does it say number 1 on that crotal bell? I love finding bells but I found a total of 0 last year.
    Thanks! And I don't believe it has a one on it, it has a nice pattern which are standard but unfortunately it came out broken.
    Whites MXT All Pro

Fantastic way to end the season Sam!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    Fantastic way to end the season Sam!
    Thank you!
    Whites MXT All Pro

Great job Sam. Envious of the 1700s stuff you have there. Great buckle for sure!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Great job Sam. Envious of the 1700s stuff you have there. Great buckle for sure!

John
    Thank you!
    Whites MXT All Pro

Great finds Sam!!! Sam like Drew said, I think your buckle is 1740s style. Earlier than most shoe buckles.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Great finds Sam!!! Sam like Drew said, I think your buckle is 1740s style. Earlier than most shoe buckles.
    Thanks Isaac! Thanks for the information!
    Whites MXT All Pro

Now that is a great first year.....darn that is a great year for anyone congratulations I am looking forward to more of your posts!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Now that is a great first year.....darn that is a great year for anyone congratulations I am looking forward to more of your posts!
    Thanks! I'll definitely try to post more, just need the opportunity to detect more.
    Whites MXT All Pro

Great finds! Love the Colonial stuff! I guess we Mass dirt fishing' guys are out of the game for a while with all this now, eh?
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Hey Sam congrats on finding and returning the ring to the owner nothing better then to help someone out the shoe buckle is as everyone said a very early type and could date close to the coin's age . the 1806 home thats close by is a great indicator that your yard was part of an old field but judging from the detail on the coin there might have been an older home close by , maybe a starter home or cabin for the 1806 one . I'd keep detecting that place . congrats again .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great finds Sam, hopefully the snow melts so we can meet up again and detect. Congrats
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

The wheats '58 and '19? The KG actually looks like there's a 4 in the date but maybe it's the resolution of the pic. Nice finds all around. I agree with Dan. Even tho there was no official minting in the US when the coin was minted, 75 years for the coin and 60 years for the buckle Is a bit old to be from the 1806 house site. I mention the official minting as some point monetary values get taken out of circulation and sometimes recycled. Drew...0 crotals for u in 2014? Maybe I've only seen you comment on other's posts for them. I thought you did get a few.

Great hunt! Good job on getting that ring back to the owner NICE looking shoe buckle
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

You had a fantastic first year. Very cool Buckle for sure.
    Your half penny is 98 years older than my oldest coin. Wow.
    on all your cool finds.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Digger View Post
    Great finds! Love the Colonial stuff! I guess we Mass dirt fishing' guys are out of the game for a while with all this now, eh?
    Thanks! You'd be right about that, I'm just waiting for spring to arrive. What part of Mass are you in?
    Whites MXT All Pro