Thread: Last Couple Hunts in January = Nice relics and a sweet SLQ !!!

Last Couple Hunts in January = Nice relics and a sweet SLQ !!!

I only went out TWICE this month cause of the god awful weather and the even worse school. At this rate I am only able to go out 25 times this year or less...

Anyway I'm done venting...

My first hunt was a little secluded public area next to an old 1895 victorian house. I concentrated on the fence line and actually got a fee signals. My first decent signal ended up being a nice 1917 buff! That makes for my first buffalo of the year I hunt nearby the buff and end up finding a few other interesting relics including a gold plated cuff link, a plated crushed ring missing the stone, a lock and a few other odds and ends! I head a little ways away from the buff and end up pulling my first wheatie, then my second, and then a nice old button! After a while I am going over the areas I've already hunted in this small little strip type area. When I'm about to give up I see a little patch of grass I didn't go over... there I get my first civil war bullet for the year! It looks like the tip of the bullet was carved or shaved off a bit. As it gets dark I get one more wheatie in an area that the ground was frozen, took about 10 minutes to get out

Two days later I FINALLY get permission to a house I've been DYING to hit... an 1876 house. Waited 4 months to hit this bad boy... well I got there and I noticed I was getting a ton of trash on the sideyard... so I immediately head to an old oak I see on the right side of the front... bam!! Swinging my coil I get my first nice find, a crusty 1906 indian. After that I go around the oak tree, get a whole lot of targets! First a 1955 wheatie, a dateless buff, 1917 wheat, old brooch, pocket knife, 2 more crusty indians, etc! After about an hour, this area starts to die off a bit... so I head towards the front sidewalk leading to the driveway... my first target is a nice WAR NICKEL! My first silver of the year! Sweeeeeeet, so I grid off the front of the house, a few clads and a nice old brass ring pop out. Then I get an amazing 82-86 signal down about 7"... BAM!!! My first silver quarter of the year!!! Then I take the dirt off and I see the beautiful eagle shine down on me! an SLQ!!! I flip it over and see the date! 1919! Nice shape too other than an old scratch . Then I get two deep clad quarters (6-8" deep ones) and some trash. Time to move on... again... I head to the side yard to see if I can get anything other than trash. Tons of crap in the ground here. I got a choppy signal, pull out a piece of flat iron and a wheatie! Looks like I'll have to weed through the trash I guess... well it payed off eventually with a dog tag and a nice 1950 rosie! It was getting dark then so I dug a couple latern parts and headed out. All around the two hunts I did in january were quite rewarding!

The better news: I've been doing tons of research this weekend and found a couple dozen houses from the 1700s near me I have to get permission at

Good luck and HH y'all! Here's the pics!

Beautiful Standing Liberty Quarter on Live Dig!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Congrats Isaac. You definitely had a good couple of hunts there.
    That SLQ looks to be in Great Shape.
    Continued success in the season to come.
    By the way, I really enjoyed the video!!
    Last edited by Digger Don; 02-01-2015 at 11:15 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Great hunts Isaac! Relics and coins, that Walker is sweet! I'm going to start doing some door knocking this summer, quite a few older homes in town.

GL & HH, Dan
    Minelab Etrac, BH 202.
    2015 silvers 32
    2015, $71.80, 12 Merc's, 11 Rosies, 2 Walkers, 3 Washingtons, 4 war nickels, 2 buffs, 30 wheats....

Now I know why you mentioned to me about a stategy... it paid off. And I guess you were quite busy this didn't go up earlier. Congrats on the SLQ. I been researching quite a bit too and my map is filled. Finding some odd things on the old maps. Gaahh more snow today hindering detecting quite a bit. Determined a big correlation to multiple areas in a puzzle I'm trying to solve. And Just yesterday on the way to a superbowl event I stumbled upon one, then two spots with missing old houses. One tied to a 1748 house Im intending to get permission at. Hope yours pan out and same for me (obvi).

I was waiting for this post! I saw the video last week and loved seeing that beautiful SLQ come out of the ground!

Such a wonderful coin, and it's unusual to find them in that good of shape. A find like that would definitely put a huge smile on my face!

Even though you only got out twice in January, you certainly made great use of your time, Isaac! That is an awesome group photo of the coins.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

once again isaac you are off to a great start for this year.Nice collection of digs you have there,and a gorgeous looking quarter.

Nice finds Isaac. Love the video. Glad you could get out with the nasty, cold conditions. Thanks for sharing.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Dude, that SLQ is amazing! That's a great way to kick off though since January was so awful! That civil war bullet is nice also, I'd actually venture that it was fired due to the three rings being not too sharp and the slight warping present. The nose is really interesting though, either it was shaped that way when it hit something or maybe the soldier carved it to make it more lethal (in theory). Who knows, it's always fun to guess! HH!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Great looking SLQ. Hope you can get the permissions you are seeking.

Isaac, "even worse school".....without the schooling you wouldn't have been able to figure out how many times you would get out this year..........
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member
    Two more months of reading everyone else's nice finds. great hunts and that SLQ is a beauty. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Congrats Isaac. You definitely had a good couple of hunts there.
    That SLQ looks to be in Great Shape.
    Continued success in the season to come.
    By the way, I really enjoyed the video!!
    Thanks Don! Glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Great hunts Isaac! Relics and coins, that Walker is sweet! I'm going to start doing some door knocking this summer, quite a few older homes in town.

GL & HH, Dan
    Good luck on the door knocking! It pays off big time :D

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Now I know why you mentioned to me about a stategy... it paid off. And I guess you were quite busy this didn't go up earlier. Congrats on the SLQ. I been researching quite a bit too and my map is filled. Finding some odd things on the old maps. Gaahh more snow today hindering detecting quite a bit. Determined a big correlation to multiple areas in a puzzle I'm trying to solve. And Just yesterday on the way to a superbowl event I stumbled upon one, then two spots with missing old houses. One tied to a 1748 house Im intending to get permission at. Hope yours pan out and same for me (obvi).
    Hey man, now's the time to research good luck with the old homesites, let me know how it pans out!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    I was waiting for this post! I saw the video last week and loved seeing that beautiful SLQ come out of the ground!

Such a wonderful coin, and it's unusual to find them in that good of shape. A find like that would definitely put a huge smile on my face!

Even though you only got out twice in January, you certainly made great use of your time, Isaac! That is an awesome group photo of the coins.
    Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words! I loved seeing that eagle pop out in front of me when I took the clod of dirt off revealing it. Great feeling for sure!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by pa-searcher View Post
    once again isaac you are off to a great start for this year.Nice collection of digs you have there,and a gorgeous looking quarter.
    Thanks PA! Glad to see you posting on this forum !

Quote Originally Posted by mownomo View Post
    Nice finds Isaac. Love the video. Glad you could get out with the nasty, cold conditions. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for watching! GL on your next hunt man !

Quote Originally Posted by Pacivilwarluke View Post
    Dude, that SLQ is amazing! That's a great way to kick off though since January was so awful! That civil war bullet is nice also, I'd actually venture that it was fired due to the three rings being not too sharp and the slight warping present. The nose is really interesting though, either it was shaped that way when it hit something or maybe the soldier carved it to make it more lethal (in theory). Who knows, it's always fun to guess! HH!
    Yeah it's gotta be fired. Ya know I was thinking the exact same thing! Very neat bullet anyway. Thanks man and hope we can get to some old sites in March. HH!

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Great looking SLQ. Hope you can get the permissions you are seeking.

Isaac, "even worse school".....without the schooling you wouldn't have been able to figure out how many times you would get out this year..........
    It's no fun when you're doing this in math:

thanks man! I hope you are able to get out soon! Too bad this is the worst winter y'all have ever had temperature-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Two more months of reading everyone else's nice finds. great hunts and that SLQ is a beauty. WD
    That sucks, hope it warms up for ya. Should be warmer this week out your way. Thanks and HH!
    I <3 colonial relics!