Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the big deal with the XP Deus

this is an interesting thread that i like reading because quit frankly i'm tired of waiting for Whites to come out with something i keep hearing about but at this point its all talk.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I am finding it hard to find much if anything negative to say about the Deus. My one concern when I got it was how rugged it would be. The Deus earned its stripes by performing superbly in those nice smooth fields and pastures over in the UK and the rest of Europe. I was a bit wary on how it would stand up to the type of dense woods hunting I do. But the Deus is not only ultra light but pretty rugged as well. I usually wear the controller in the wrist band. When I get a good signal that I want to dig, I just basically just drop the Deus to the ground. There is nothing to break because there are no electronics mounted in a box on the shaft like every other detector.

One negative would be that the coils are expensive because they house the brains. But the positives far out-weigh that negative in my opinion. It's extremely flexible, easy to program, wireless, brilliant in the iron trash, software is upgradeable, plenty deep, etc. etc. One of my favorite features is that with the single push of a button, I can switch to an adjacent program that will allow me to rescan a questionable target with different settings to help me decide if it's worth digging. Then I can switch back to my original program with just another single push of a button. It is a quality machine and I do really enjoy using it.

Having said all that, actually the Deus stinks and I don't recommend any one get one
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

to your last statement so how many devices do you have to charge before a hunt Jeff ?? and honestly how long does the charge last ??

Well Dan, you have your coil and that will last around 15 hours or so depending how much transmission power you use. But there is hardly any reason to use full power all the time. The remote control and headphones will last about twice as long as the coil. I charge all 3 usually before every other hunt. You can get a field charger that runs off a single AA battery that will keep you going if you forgot to charge and ran out of juice in the field. You can actually just use the headphones to control just about every setting and leave the controller at home if you wish. Very slick set up. That's why they if you buy a second coil and stick it on another shaft of any kind, you really can make another Deus because you can use your controller on one and the headphones on the other and have 2 fully functional units.

Another thing I like are the ultralight wireless backphones. They do sell the full over the top wireless headphones but I never did like a full set headphones of any kind because they are hot and also don't let you hear your surroundings. The backphones have excellent sound and still let you hear what's going on around you.

One fault of the Deus I didn't mention was that it was hard to push the buttons on the controller when you are wearing heavy gloves. That was easily remedied though by spending a couple of bucks on the small clear silicone bumpers used for cupboards. I just stuck them on the controller buttons and it makes it easy to feel them even with gloves.

Still, it is not a machine I would recommend to my friends

OK guys you've peaked my curiosity. i started out with a Bounty Hunter 3 years ago and decided I liked the hobby. Next an ATP using the 5x8 coil and liked it. moved on to my current machine an F75 with DST and love it. I am primarily a cellar hole/field type hunter. Should I upgrade(?) to the Deus? Will I notice a difference? If i go back to some sites Ive pounded with F75 ( using both the 5 and 11 inch coils) will I find stuff I missed in the iron?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipe101 View Post
    OK guys you've peaked my curiosity. i started out with a Bounty Hunter 3 years ago and decided I liked the hobby. Next an ATP using the 5x8 coil and liked it. moved on to my current machine an F75 with DST and love it. I am primarily a cellar hole/field type hunter. Should I upgrade(?) to the Deus? Will I notice a difference? If i go back to some sites Ive pounded with F75 ( using both the 5 and 11 inch coils) will I find stuff I missed in the iron?
    Well supposedly the machine sole purpose was to hit the very irony Roman sites in Europe and to be able to pick out the tine hammered silver and bronze coins from the iron fields .

I think Dan is spot on. The Deus is known for its blazing recovery speed and it will indeed help you sniff out goodies that were masked by the iron. But if you have pounded a cellar hole site previously with a decent machine, it's not like you can go back there with the Deus and find another 15 coppers.

I'm searching with the xp deus for 4 years now and find it extremely good comparing with my old detectors. I also use a minelab etrac for extreem clay grounds because on this type of ground the minelab gives me 3 till 5 cm more dept. Also searching on wet beach the minelab beats the deus. But in any other occasion the xp deus beats it all. Offcourse you have to use the richt settings as in every detector. No soil is ever the Same and I always adjust! In Europe you can find very small midievel silver coins wich are very hard to detect with Some detectors. Searching with the white's dfx for 3 years I never found one!! The deus however is very Sharp and has no trouble finding them. ( I know it hurts to tell a F***** french detector is better than an American )
    The only thing irritating searching with the deus sometimes is his very good signal on deep (Large) iron.
    So my opinion: if I could choose for a New detector tomorrow, it would be an xp deus again.

This thread makes me want to try one more and more!!!!!!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Blog Entries
    Reading all your reactions and you guy's are right.
    It's a great machine.
    Hunting now with it for 4 years here in Holland.
    Look at my finds what im finding with the deus.
    My advice is hunt with full tone, disc at 0 and set up your settings.
    Your controlebox in your pocket.
    Listen what is under your coil..
    You can hear what: the dept is,if it's Iron or trash.
    Learn your signals and you have a powerful machine.
    Last edited by Willems; 11-24-2015 at 03:50 PM.

This June I am purchasing the XP Dues. After Metal Detecting for over forty years and buying/selling a few old detectors, I'm ready for the change. Question: What accessories would you now purchase with this XP Deus?

I like the WS4 headphones and I use the arm band for the controller. Maybe get an extra coil bolt. I also got the emergency charger....haven't had to use it yet though.