Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the big deal with the XP Deus

What's the big deal with the XP Deus

The Deus is extremely fast, you can pick thru trash amazingly.

The Deus can be set up as a multi tone machine for those who like to hunt by sound.

The Deus is made to hunt WITH Discrimination it is actually to your benefit to hunt with some discrim in place and to use a function called Iron Volume to adjust the level of the iron sounds in the headphones it's very cool.

The Deus is totally wireless.

The Deus is 2 lbs. For a person who may be older or have some sort of physical issue this can extend your ability to get out there and hunt.

The Deus comes with 10 factory programs in it ready to go.

When I got mine and took it out of the box I said to myself oh no what a piece of junk!! Because it was so light But it's the real deal guys.

I started with the Deus and a buddy with a CTX we dug side by side and I could hit every target that the CTX saw. I love my CTX and will keep it for sure but the Deus is a top of the line unit that has been software updated at least 3 times so far. The CTX was put out there by minelab and basically forgotten. No updates.

I hit LCs at 7" 8" no problem. Most likely deeper just hasn't happened yet.

Lastly there's a great book by Andy Sabisch with great info and settings plus how to's . It's a must have if you have the Deus also If you get a chance Mr. Sabisch is doing Deus Bootcamps all over the country.

Great unit no joke
    CTTodd

Dig colonial or go home
    www.cttodd.com
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

good info thanks, I have been thinking about getting one myself.
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Alright, how much are they paying you?

I have heard a lot of great things about the XP Deus. They are super light, I have held one and I couldn't believe it. The wireless aspect is a big selling point also. I would like to try one out for about a week before I made the commitment to buy one.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I just purchased one and I have to admit I am struggling ! Only tried it once though... I guess once you figure out the settings, it really has to be a great machine. One thing I miss from the ETrac (which I still have) is the depth indicator. I know you can sort of guess it through the bar in the horse shoe. Apparently, the less it's filled, the deeper the target is. But it does not say, as it would on the ETrac, the potential depth in inches. (And that is a great plus when you are hitting an old park !) A last thing, coming from Minelab, I do have to get used the new ID values...

As Tony Two-Cent said, the weight and the fact it's completely wireless are fantastic added values !

Any input on this?

Oh... and I forgot to mention... It is a French machine.. Had to have it !
    Last edited by Restoring Your Finds; 02-02-2015 at 09:56 AM.

WoW Todd! and I know how much you love your Minelabs... Now you have me thinking again...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Alright, how much are they paying you? .
    Maybe this is a way he got $ off the price. Kinda similar to liking a place on FB and getting coupons.

Sounds like a nice machine. Working with electronics the connectors seem to be the most troublesome overall. Eliminating them is a goal. Plus putting the electronics closer to the coil lowers the loss and noise picked up by the wires. The only thing I am a little skeptical about is the fact that now you have two power sources to worry about the charge lasting. There is the option to run to the car and charge it back up if theres a mini-usb plug, but if you have a spare set of batteries on hand in your bag you can change on the spot for any detector. The software update comes from the comp, right? The only thing I would worry is if MS comes out with another version or two of windows cuz USB things seem to be a pain. I have the Phatnoise thing in my car for my kenwood and every time I try to save the disc/play list info and eject the disk it 'freezes' for a long time and eventually 'finishes' but I can only eject completely by the MS USB safely remove hardware after the long process of waiting. I have Vista and the program was designed for 98 and XP. So long term thinking in comparison to the Deus. But the option to do so on your own is a good thing so you don't have to wait for getting machine back.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 02-02-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Todd , have you had any issues at all with emi interference or with power lines or areas where the coil can't communicate with the headphones??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I got mine for Christmas and have only been able to use it 3 times before the blizzard arrived. But I will say that I have been mightily impressed with it so far for all the reasons Todd gives. Really made me a believer when I sniffed out a shoe buckle chape 4 inches below someone else's abandoned 6 inch deep hole at a pounded site. As Todd mentions it has a really smart approach to dealing with iron. That , coupled with its blazing recovery speed make it very formidable finding those masked targets.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Todd , have you had any issues at all with emi interference or with power lines or areas where the coil can't communicate with the headphones??
    Maybe he can answer better but was it my comment on lower noise that sparked this question? I did notice an antenna as an accessory and without checking it was wondering why It has this. But it's only for under water. The 12k and 18k frequency does make me wonder if those get interference with our 60 Hz here. Well..all 4 frequencies could be affected from a 50 Hz European rate.

Dan, Todd may have a different experience but one of the sites I did hit with my Deus was very close to a high-voltage substation. I could not hunt one of the far corners of this site with my DFX no matter what frequency or setting or coil that I used due to the EMI. The Deus handled pretty well with only a minimum amount of chattering due to the nearby overhead high-voltage lines. No problem with the coil talking to the headphones.

Guys, can you tell me more about the depth indicator, and how you figure it out on the Deus? As i said, i only tried it once, and there was quite a bit of trash where we were. Sometimes, you only want to focus on deep targets. How do you read those on the XP Deus? Is it, as I stated above, with the horseshoe being more or less filled?

Quote Originally Posted by Taltahull View Post
    I just purchased one and I have to admit I am struggling ! Only tried it once though... I guess once you figure out the settings, it really has to be a great machine. One thing I miss from the ETrac (which I still have) is the depth indicator. I know you can sort of guess it through the bar in the horse shoe. Apparently, the less it's filled, the deeper the target is. But it does not say, as it would on the ETrac, the potential depth in inches. (And that is a great plus when you are hitting an old park !) A last thing, coming from Minelab, I do have to get used the new ID values...

As Tony Two-Cent said, the weight and the fact it's completely wireless are fantastic added values !

Any input on this?

Oh... and I forgot to mention... It is a French machine.. Had to have it !
    obviously you need a lot more time with your unit. I got a lot of very good info from the forums in the UK where they have adopted the Deus from the start. Forums like Gary's Detecting and the xp owners forum. Also there's quite a few very good utube videos about settings. Stay with it I find it to be a very easy machine.
    Todd
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Dan I've seen nothing yet for emi problems. This thing is fast between targets really fast. I've dug good targets mixed with trash. I've dug deep. Just very impressed at this point. You can assign target sounds in "bins" like a CTX. There's a lot going on in this thing. I will not part with my CTX this is just something else that's very interesting.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Quote Originally Posted by chief5709 View Post
    WoW Todd! and I know how much you love your Minelabs... Now you have me thinking again...
    No worrys Brian I'm still a minelab guy. This thing is cool though
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Thanks for the feedback CTTodd.

Taltahull, yeah the horseshoe will help you figure out target depth. You can also use the Audio Response. The lower the setting, the softer those deep (weak) targets will sound. Many folks like to keep the Audio Response high to help them hear those deep targets. At a high setting, they will sound as loud as the strong shallow targets. But if you have decent hearing, an Audio response of 3 or 4 will make those deep targets sound deep (not as loud as a strong shallow target) but it is also loud enough so you won't miss them. After my first time out with the Deus, I took the controller off the shaft and stuck in in the arm band to force me to pay more attention to the audio. I found it easy to estimate target depth using the Audio Response at 3 or 4.

In really clean areas, I probably run at a high value to get those really weak signals at the edge of the Deus' range.
    Last edited by Lodge Scent; 02-03-2015 at 08:11 PM.

I swung a friends a little bit and it is an amazingly light detector. I also like how it folds up for travel! Makes it easy to fit in the trunk of your car. But for what the thing cost I'd expect it to be a very cool detector!

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Taltahull, yeah the horseshoe will help you figure out target depth. You can also use the Audio Response. The lower the setting, the softer those deep (weak) targets will sound. Many folks like to keep the Audio Response high to help them hear those deep targets. At a high setting, they will sound as loud as the strong shallow targets. But if you have decent hearing, an Audio response of 3 or 4 will make those deep targets sound deep (not as loud as a strong shallow target) but it is also loud enough so you won't miss them. After my first time out with the Deus, I took the controller off the shaft and stuck in in the arm band to force me to pay more attention to the audio. I found it easy to estimate target depth using the Audio Response at 3 or 4.

In really clean areas, I probably run at a high value to get those really weak signals at the edge of the Deus' range.
    Thanks Lodge Scent ! I appreciate the help !

To me it is a tonal machine mainly. Don't give alot of attention to the VID. More and more time using it will get you better and you start digging less and less trash.
    Detectors: Garrett ACE 350/XP Deus

I have both a CTX and a deus. It may be light, It may be quick, But sadly it is not even close to the deus in the hunting I do.. I will grab the CTX 90% of the time. I know this is just one guys opinion only. So don't get all excited folks. It sure is easy on the arm though
    CTX 3030, Deus