Thread: The Site Where I Found the 1877 Indian Head

The Site Where I Found the 1877 Indian Head

My dad and brother jointly own 40 acres of woods/prairie that they use for hunting. Last year I detected around an old well in the woods there and found an 1877 Indian Head Cent.

My brother has seen bobcats there before when he was hunting, but this time he got a clear photo of one on his trail cam. This is about 50 yards from where I found the Indian Head.

Here kitty kitty!

Name:  Bobcat.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  94.2 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Really cool pic! But I'm sure you wouldn't want to pet it. I've heard bobcats are really mean.

very cool picture Tony !
    Last edited by del; 02-05-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice Kitty!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Cool photo Tony.
    When are you going back?
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Cool photo Tony.
    When are you going back?
    Yeah! When are you going back? We'll go, I'll bring my AR and predator calls!
    Oh...knowing there's 1877 IH's in the area, I'll probably have to bring along the ET too.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

I have been back a couple of times but didn't find any more coins. The area by the well is still really grown up and my brother is trying to get it cleared off. The last time I tried to hunt it I found a harmonica reed, a really old looking pitchfork, a lantern part and some more musket balls.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That's a great capture Tony! I love cats.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

That's a surprised bobcat! I've seen their tracks but have yet to see one in the wild. Very cool.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

My brother got another good photo of the bobcat on his trail cam. Very cool to see, but I don't think I will try to pet this kitty.

Name:  BOBCAT.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  55.7 KB
    Lifetime totals:

That's a really cool find. LOL
    I've never seen one in the wild either.
    How big is it ?
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

They are beautiful animals for sure. I have seen a few and one up pretty close but never felt threatened by them. They will run from you as long as they have a place to run. I certainly would not want to get one cornered up and take it on. They could do some serious damage !!
    Whites TreasurePro, Oldest US Coin 1876 Seated Dime, Oldest Foreign Coin 1700's Chinese Cash Coin
    YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/pescadoremetaldetecting

We have one stalking around my work , its been caught on their outside and parking lot cameras a couple of times. With all the wild turkeys and other animals it looks like he eats pretty well too. I was also fortunate enough to see one poking his face through the foliage one time sneaking a peek at me an another detectorist , he wasn't maybe 40 yards away and I just happened to look in his direction to see what i thought was a face in the bushes. It took me a few seconds to realize just what i was looking at or my mind playing tricks , right about then he turn away and slowly walked away from me , my buddy didn't even know he was there until i told him .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

We've got a bobcat around our work as well. This pic is from a year ago I believe. Fat cat for sure, I can see how some people confuse them with mountain lions.

Name:  Big kitty.jpeg
Views: 117
Size:  113.5 KB
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

One of my friends and I were out detecting around Old foundations, when he asked me to take a picture of him over by this apple tree he had found. After he had got the pictures back from developing, he calls me up and tells me that just past the apple tree standing on these rocks is a Bobcat standing there watching us. He was looking at the picture with a magnifying glass. We went back to the site later and believe she had a family there. We only caught a glimpse of her as we got there.
    You never know who is watching us as we are out enjoying our hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Detectorguy View Post
    One of my friends and I were out detecting around Old foundations, when he asked me to take a picture of him over by this apple tree he had found. After he had got the pictures back from developing, he calls me up and tells me that just past the apple tree standing on these rocks is a Bobcat standing there watching us. He was looking at the picture with a magnifying glass. We went back to the site later and believe she had a family there. We only caught a glimpse of her as we got there.
    You never know who is watching us as we are out enjoying our hobby.
    Welcome to the forum!

That's a neat story. I have never seen one in the wild, only these pictures that my brother captured of one. My brother has seen them in person though. He was in his tree stand one time and heard some noise below him. He looked down and there was a mother bobcat and two kittens. I would love to see one in person some day!
    Lifetime totals: