Thread: New to this forum

New to this forum

Retired in this winter wonderland (Ct.) would love to be down south but we watch or granddaughter during the week so here we are until she starts school. Been MD since the late 80's but quit for a few years, started again last year, purchased a Mindlab Exterra 305..
    spend summer on the coast of Maine so I'm looking for a MD I can use in wet sand and surf...the 305 isn't getting it done.. Any suggestions.

Welcome aboard Happycamper!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Welcome from Washington state! It's good to have you here.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Hello Happycamper , welcome when choosing a beach machine there can be a few options . vlf (very low frequency) machines usually don't do to well in the wet sands unless its a dual frequency type. the wet sands you usually have heavy minerals and salts and single frequency machines can't cope with both and is why you usually get a lot of falsing . the multi-frequency machines can use one frequency to cancel either the minerals or the salts and the other to balance and run a lot smoother. Vlf machines also have better discrimination and this can matter a lot on trashy or iron infested beaches. examples of dual frequency machines are Whites dfx , v3i , vx3 , the Minelab ctx , etrac , excaliber

the second type of machines that handle wet beaches very well are pulse induction machines these handle quite different then the vlf types and go much deeper too. unfortunately these have very limited or no discrimination so your hearing every type of metal on the beach and you have to accustom your ear to pick out whats good and what isn't. these machines aren't affected by the salts or minerals so they almost rarely ever false and run very smooth .

hope this helps some .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome from The Lone Star State. I run a Garrett AT Pro and have good luck in salt & fresh water sand & surf. It is limited to 10 ft depth for water proofing. Good luck & happy huntin'
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber