Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two days of hunting in Thawed VA ! :) Nice relics!!!

Two days of hunting in Thawed VA ! :) Nice relics!!!

Well I was able to get out and do some hunting lately in VA on Sunday and Tuesday and I managed to have two great productive days of digging! The first day I went to a 1804 blacksmith shop... unfortunately even though the site looked awesome it was completely trashed!!! But... the first hole I dug was frozen but it was a corroded wheatie! Only an inch down! After that all I got was aluminum and iron trash..... trash trash and more trash... but I was presistent and committed to find something good. So I work around the old house nearby dated 1850... my first target was a huge piece of lead and then I got a nice signal and out popped my first decent relic... a pocket watch bezels, I took about 5 nails out of the hole. I dug a ton of clad and more modern junk when I get another one of those signals and I get a nice dog tag! This one is dated 1920! So... then I move on a little bit and get a slammin' hit 90-92 hoping for a silver half... ends up being a stupid mardi gras token what a let down ! Oh well... I go up a few feet and dig an object only an inch deep and have no idea what it is... it looked familiar tho! So I leave that place after a while because I was getting a headache from all the trash... but I do need to go back and investigate those shallow signals!

I then got a quick permission at an 1865 house... I hunted there for maybe 5 minutes and got a 1909 wheatie! My first 1909

I later investigated that mystery piece and it ended up being a spur piece from the civil war !!!!!! I wanted to find one of these for so long I'm so glad I found one!

Then yesterday (tuesday) I go back to the 1865 and funny story the neighbor asked what I was doing on her property... called the owner and she was like "I'm sorry about that, we are crazy neighbors huh?!" then she asked what I'd found and after a while she let me hit her property! Not a lot of finds there but I got a few wwheats so I guess it was worth it!

Anyway I get some hits, a 1911 wheat, 3 quarters in one hole, and a pocket watch part... then I go to the otherside of the property (man this place was awful with the iron too!) and I get a high tone in between the iron and I got a SWEET "D" buckle!~!! It had sterling plate and was very ornate! Still functional too. I also got a old toy car, hinges, my first rein guide, and more from this place.

Thanks for reading guys! GL and HH !

GL AND HH !!! TAKE CARE GUYS
    I <3 colonial relics!

Great story! Man, I'd love to find a 1909 wheat. Thanks for sharing the story and photos.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Well you can dig without a pick so that is good. Nice relics and a century coin is always great!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Congrats on the great hunt!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Whaaa??? You weren't on her property but she was asking why you were on her property? Then after the audacity to ask, gives you permission on her actual property? You going to mardi gras any time soon? Idky theres always trash around people's yards. I would expect it at parks because of the many people and they don't clean up after themselves because, again, it's not their property. At least you were persistant. Was the brick place the blacksmith or the 1865 house? The brick ones I seen around here are early 1800 houses and the one blacksmith shop I know still standind is much smaller and made of rock. I have yet to find watch parts but maybe this coming spring. Glad you got your 1909 wheatie and spur piece. Pull up some more CW stuff. The buckle I thought looked like a match case cuz it was solid.

You're so lucky to get a thaw, that's unheard of in February up in the tundra where I am! :p you found some really awesome stuff, the spur piece is definitely a wicked find! Congrats on your reins guide too, I threw a few of them away before I knew what they were. Love the first pic too haha. HH bud!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Nice finds there Isaac, when you come to CT in March the ground better be thawed!!!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Quote Originally Posted by Pacivilwarluke View Post
    You're so lucky to get a thaw, that's unheard of in February up in the tundra where I am! :p you found some really awesome stuff, the spur piece is definitely a wicked find! Congrats on your reins guide too, I threw a few of them away before I knew what they were. Love the first pic too haha. HH bud!
    Last year I was detecting in February as the ground would keep on thawing and freezing but this year that has not been the case
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Those are some sweet finds, Isaac! I really like the civil war spur piece and the old dog tag. Your photos are really nice and sharp!

I suppose that a blacksmith shop would have tons of iron. I'm sure all that iron would be masking most of the good targets. Can you imagine 150+ years of horseshoe nails?
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 02-12-2015 at 09:48 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Very nice! What is that stuff in the back ground...dirt and grass ??? Forgot what that looks like. Some great digs. Love that dog license.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

congrats on getting out to swing the ol' coil , I 'm with Jeff I've about forgotten what grass looks like ... sweet to find the spur
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Very nice finds Issac. I really like the dog tag.
    all your other find are nice as well.

I'm glad you are able to get out and swing this time of year.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

You should submit that first picture to Western and Eastern Treasures! Sums up the hobby pretty well! Nice finds too!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful comments everyone !!! I'm going out tomorrow and braving below 0 windchills. I hope you guys all have some great digs the next time you're able to get out... this is the best time to research NE'ers. Come on Spring!!!!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Well at least someones getting out to detect!
    Congrats on some nice finds Isaac!
    The place in the first picture looks just dreamy!
    Whats the item in the last picture in-between the two wheaties? It looks like a Large cent. Or a big button.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Isaac, my cousin used to own the brick house behind you and are you on 15 south by the old meeting house don't want to give your spot away..I may be wrong and if so I apologize and if you turn around and go to the left side of the bridge there are ruins to a old mill foundation used to be there that's if you are at the spot I think you are and if so that whole left side of the road is interesting . Nice relics. Man if I am wrong about the location I will feel like a fool.vanzutphen

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by donald sutphin View Post
    Isaac, my cousin used to own the brick house behind you and are you on 15 south by the old meeting house don't want to give your spot away..I may be wrong and if so I apologize and if you turn around and go to the left side of the bridge there are ruins to a old mill foundation used to be there that's if you are at the spot I think you are and if so that whole left side of the road is interesting . Nice relics. Man if I am wrong about the location I will feel like a fool.vanzutphen
    What????? Dude that's freaking AWESOME!!! You're exactly right!!! There's a mill foundation there. I see you're in MD. Maybe we can hunt sometime! It's on 15... near the plantation. The mill site is awesome to look at but I haven't found any targets there yet. Plan on going back here. What a small world we live in PM me maybe we can talk more about this spot! HH
    I <3 colonial relics!

Isaac i am from Loudoun county born and raised there and I saw that house and knew where it was .You say you did not find much there I figured it would quite a few finds around the meeting house on my cousins side of it where the brick house is located I do believe in the front of house toward 15 they had dug a hole out in the yard I guess for sewage system and a lot of the stuff was covered over .If you register at treasure net you will see a mining cart pulled from the creek and was lost somewhere do to my brother.That whole road is full of stuff specially the houses toward the creek . Every time the creek floods the house below the water is up to the second story .

Quote Originally Posted by donald sutphin View Post
    Isaac i am from Loudoun county born and raised there and I saw that house and knew where it was .You say you did not find much there I figured it would quite a few finds around the meeting house on my cousins side of it where the brick house is located I do believe in the front of house toward 15 they had dug a hole out in the yard I guess for sewage system and a lot of the stuff was covered over .If you register at treasure net you will see a mining cart pulled from the creek and was lost somewhere do to my brother.That whole road is full of stuff specially the houses toward the creek . Every time the creek floods the house below the water is up to the second story .
    I have only been there 3 hours and I was not set up for ton of iron trash... the place was a blacksmith shop I heard and yes, there's wooden pegs on the house to stop water from coming in. Lots of pottery shards and osyter shells on the surface as well, every good target I dug there was an inch deep and I was ignoring those signals for most of the time until I figured out stuff didn't sink there. I definetely have to get back there soon, one of the most interesting places I've ever hunted GL and HH Isaac
    I <3 colonial relics!