Thread: Possible pre-Colonial era coins???

Question Possible pre-Colonial era coins???

Hi Folks,

It's probably a long shot but I figure I'll just throw it out here for you to check out.

I found three coins (about the size of a quarter) a while back in a known Colonial era spot. The Draped Bust penny is with them for size comparison.

Any ideas? I'm leaning towards British coinage pre-1800. Can anyone pin down the variety?? Thanks.

Name:  IMG_6194.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  89.7 KBName:  IMG_4484.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  86.1 KBName:  IMG_4478.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  82.1 KBName:  IMG_4480.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  98.7 KBName:  IMG_6196.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  89.7 KBName:  IMG_6198.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  45.1 KB
    Metal Detector: Teknetics Omega 8000

You can see the letters "TORI" pretty clear on the one coin, which might be from the word "AUCTORI", which if I'm not mistaken would make it either a Connecticut Copper or an Auctori Plebis token.

The others I'm not sure about but maybe one of the colonial experts can help.
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 02-18-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

All three appear to be CT coppers. None appear as King George II or III. There isn't much information to get a year or miller for these; the busts aren't quite visible.
    The TORI is actually the 10 o'clock position on the CT coppers. The third picture you can see the "shield" outline. So the first picture, top right is the reverse. The bottom left is also the reverse in the correct orientation. Yes the King George III had big letters to the right of the woman on the reverse, but the second picture with all four coins is actually the obverse and the King Georges had more lettering on the obverse than the CT coppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Auctori Plebis token.
    I never heard of one before and they do have almost the same front as the CT coppers. I can see why it was a guess.

Candidate Member
    The one you can read Liberty on is a draped bust, 1790s I believe
    Delbert (Central Okla)
    Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlas Silent Search, Fisher Pinpointer, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer.

Oldest Coin 1863 Seated Liberty Dime.