Thread: Non detecting coin finds.

Non detecting coin finds.

Any guess on the larger one? I am sure the small one is definitely an un-struck zincoln. It has the rolled edge appearance and same weight and diameter. The sound is really close when dropped on a surface, but definitely different than a full copper penny. If any of you were aware that dropping a coin on a surface can tell you the material it is made from...
    First pic is comparison, Second pic is blank on top of zincoln.

The larger seems to be around 22 mm as the King George V penny is 23.58mm. I have seen online 22mm copper blanks but the blanks I found to purchase were designed for jewelry craft. Maybe it was put into circulation for a while if it is such, but there is a possibility it came as another un-struck disc. Third pic is comparison and fourth is the blank ontop of George V.

Name:  Copper blank and zincoln.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  39.3 KBName:  Copper Blank.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  34.8 KBName:  Copper disc and large cent.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  37.7 KBName:  Large copper disc.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  39.7 KB

Interesting finds Jim. Did you use dynamite to get them out of the ground this weekend LOL ? I did see some snow finally melting off my roof so maybe a month to that first silvery honey-hole ?

I used a flame thrower on the field to get rid of snow and then jackhammer to get targets out. I did take advantage of melting snow by trying to clear some from the roof. That's about it. Hoping for a month. Silvery honey-hole...the spot where you got CZ? IM eager for any place but first for a 1752 house and 1860 house and 1840 (per assessor but actually 1820) house. And those camps, the one I told you, and the ones you told me.

we will have no shortage of good spots once the detecting season begins !

Interesting find Jim. I saw a guy at Texas Instruments put a penny on the lathe and turn all the detail off of the tails side. Why? I will never know.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Quote Originally Posted by mownomo View Post
    I saw a guy at Texas Instruments put a penny on the lathe and turn all the detail off of the tails side. Why? I will never know.
    Your guess is as good as mine. Just to do it, maybe?? Can't even imagine doing it to use as poker chips. Pennies are cheap enough. Unless he was trying to see if the inner zinc is visible once raised details are removed?