Thread: 1800.00 sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1800.00 sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in 1982 I started metal detecting and decided to hunt the old dirt drive way to my aunts house that dated 1897 and had an old radio shack detector did not think I would find anything but after a few signals I found a 3 ringer bullet then next item was odd wasn't sure what it was but I knew it was a license plate but didn't think no more about until 7 years ago going thru stuff to throw away and there again was this plate . Well decided to put it on ebay asking price 25.00 if I recall correctly . Anyway I received this strange email and the gentleman said buddy do you know what you are doing and asked me to email back. Well I did and he said that so plate you Name:  11va352mc.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  17.9 KBare selling I will give you 1800.00 dollars for it let me know if you want to sell . First thing I thought this guy was joking so hell I put it on a few sites for 2000.00-2500.00 and it seemed he knew every site I was posting it on and sent another email what you trying to do . I am offering to buy a very rare 1911 blue and white porcelain motorcycle license plate only 1 made with this number combo. He stated that again he would buy it for 1800.00 and know one else would pay more , again let me know . Well got to thinking I did not pay anything damn near had tossed in trash and just so put it on ebay and this guy could have bought it for the asking price but instead was honest did not want me to be ripped off and I did end up selling it to him for that price, fellow turned out to be a lawyer I mean where in these days do you find a honest one and his hobby turned out to be license plate collecting . I often think about this and the results that would have been made but luck and this guy saved me before I had made a stupid mistake of letting a valuable relic go for nothing . So the morrow to this true , true story when in doubt about something find someone who knows what you have and don't throw away something odd ball like I almost did for you will be hating yourself later when you see the same item selling for more than what you sold it for. vanzutphen. Moderator if this is posted on wrong topic please move thanks. If anyone interested in the web site where this plate can be seen go to VIRGINIA PORCELAIN ARCHIVES 1911 Third Issue and scroll down to the bottom and you will see it and who this plate was sold too !!!!!! There are 3 know va plates all with different number combos .
    Last edited by donald sutphin; 02-25-2015 at 07:35 PM.

Well it looks like you did the right thing!
    Both in, not throwing it away! And by listening to a honest stranger. And its a lawyer at that!
    There's something you don't hear too often!
    Great find and an even better score!
    Congrats!

What a great story man and an awesome find!

That's what keeps me in the hobby... not knowing what's in the next hole!!!!!! HH

Isaac, NOVA
    I <3 colonial relics!

That was refreshing to read!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

That's a great story, and I love that it's an old motorcycle plate. License plate collectors can be serious about their hobby.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

That's a really cool story, glad he didn't try and rip you off. Nice way to make a huge profit on something you almost threw away. That's why you should never toss any of your detecting finds in the trash pile until you know for sure that its trash. Congrats on the 1800.00!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

very cool find and nice read Donald
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great story, thanks and congrats!