Thread: Gone to MXT full time

Gone to MXT full time

I have been using the DFX as my main detector for some time now. I recently picked up a mint MXT off Craigslist for a really good price. I never bought it to replace the dfx but lately I have been grabbing the MXT more and more. Something about the simplicity and on the fly adjustments of the MXT really appeals to me. It also will outperform the DFX at depth and correct ID. I tried just about every program I could come up with to make them equal but the MXT was just more stable at depth. I found a guy on another forum that was looking for a DFX and he had a MXT, SunRay probe, and D2 coil. He offered to trade it for the DFX and we made a deal. I guess I am a MXT user full time now.
    Whites TreasurePro, Oldest US Coin 1876 Seated Dime, Oldest Foreign Coin 1700's Chinese Cash Coin
    YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/pescadoremetaldetecting

Love my MXT for the Turf and Dry Sand saltwater beaches I hunt!! Gotta switch to the SovGT when I want to hunt the wet. The MXT will function in the wet, but it was not really made for that type of hunting. Glad you are enjoying yours!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

congrats on your new addition but I got to agree with Ron, the dfx is much more stable and better choice on the wet beaches .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    congrats on your new addition but I got to agree with Ron, the dfx is much more stable and better choice on the wet beaches .

Dan
    I am sure that it would be better on the beach if I ever went there but the closest beach to me is 6 hours away and we go maybe every couple of years. We have taken a couple of cruises and I took my detector with me once and stayed so busy I never used it. Most of my time off ship is spent diving. I would have definitely kept the DFX if I was closer to the beach or vacationed more.
    Whites TreasurePro, Oldest US Coin 1876 Seated Dime, Oldest Foreign Coin 1700's Chinese Cash Coin

Well call me fickled !! My wife and I discussed the fact that we just bought a camper and will probably going to the beach more often. And I just had a feeling that I shouldn't make the trade for another MXt so I decided to keep the DFX. I almost always use the DFX with the 6X8 SEF coil in totlots and parks with fairly mild setting for stability and accuracy. I always hunt in best data with tone ID on and I think I will miss having that option with the MXT. I sent a message and e-mail to the other guy and backed out since neither of us had shipped our detectors. I have never backed out of a deal like that before but I just have a gut feeling that I was making a mistake. Thanks for all your help and support.
    Pesc

I have a rig exactly like you just got. With a garage full of detectors, it's still my absolute favorite. If I had to find something to save my life, I'd use an older MXT.

You're right about adjusting on the fly. My wife watched me one day working the "whispers" in Alt/Relic mode with the gain unbelievably high and said, "You play that detector like a rock star plays his guitar."

Get a copy of Jeff Foster's book, "The MXT Edge". Jeff designed the MXT and you'll love the book.
    Last edited by Lowjiber; 03-02-2015 at 07:23 AM.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    I have a rig exactly like you just got. With a garage full of detectors, it's still my absolute favorite. If I had to find something to save my life, I'd use an older MXT.

You're right about adjusting on the fly. My wife watched me one day working the "whispers" in Alt/Relic mode with the gain unbelievably high and said, "You play that detector like a rock star plays his guitar."

Get a copy of Jeff Foster's book, "The MXT Edge". Jeff designed the MXT and you'll love the book.
    Listen to this guy Pescadore! I've seen him "play that guitar"!!

Quote Originally Posted by pescadore View Post
    Well call me fickled !! My wife and I discussed the fact that we just bought a camper and will probably going to the beach more often. And I just had a feeling that I shouldn't make the trade for another MXt so I decided to keep the DFX. I almost always use the DFX with the 6X8 SEF coil in totlots and parks with fairly mild setting for stability and accuracy. I always hunt in best data with tone ID on and I think I will miss having that option with the MXT. I sent a message and e-mail to the other guy and backed out since neither of us had shipped our detectors. I have never backed out of a deal like that before but I just have a gut feeling that I was making a mistake. Thanks for all your help and support.
    Pesc
    Must have has a short brain lapse !! I found another buyer for the DFX and so I sold it. I found a really nice M6 that my regular dealer had and had him send it my way. I will use the M6 hat has tone ID for my coinshooting around totlots and trashy areas using my smaller coils and keep the Detech 10x12 SEF on the MXT for more open areas. Should work out to be a good combo. The 7 tone ID may take a little getting use to since the DFX had 191 tones but I am sure it won't take me long. The M6 also has a beach mode but I know that the DFX would have done better in that area since it's dual frequency. I was just frustrated with it and wanted to simplify my detecting instead of always making changes in search of an extra inch of depth. The MXT is a deep machine if I need one !!! I could never get the DFX tuned to be as deep as the MXT is.

That MXT is looking really good to me. Looks really simplistic to use vs. the Garrett AT Pro; although that looks good also. I think the Iron audio is unique to the AT. Not sure if the MXT has a similar feature.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWatson View Post
    That MXT is looking really good to me. Looks really simplistic to use vs. the Garrett AT Pro; although that looks good also. I think the Iron audio is unique to the AT. Not sure if the MXT has a similar feature.

You can use the MXT in relic mode trigger forward and disc at zero. All nonferrous will then give a high tone and ferrous will give a low tone. The AT Pro will not ID deep targets as well as the MXT. If you dont need a waterproof machine for water hunting then I would go with the MXT. Much better balanced, easier, deeper, and on the fly adjustments. It also has the best tracking system available in that price range.

Quote Originally Posted by pescadore View Post
    You can use the MXT in relic mode trigger forward and disc at zero. All nonferrous will then give a high tone and ferrous will give a low tone. The AT Pro will not ID deep targets as well as the MXT. If you dont need a waterproof machine for water hunting then I would go with the MXT. Much better balanced, easier, deeper, and on the fly adjustments. It also has the best tracking system available in that price range.
    Thumbs up to this post!!

I have never used the MXT but I have heard nothing but how great a detector it is. At some point and time I plan on finding one to add to my arsenal. Good luck to you.

Candidate Member
    Started with the MXT and it has found enough to buy my V3i. MXT is a great machine.

I'm sure liking my recently acquired MXT All Pro and that night light is fantastic .I'm glad I found this thread , very informative . Thanks guys !