Thread: Door Knocking

Door Knocking

Door Knocking
    I started door knocking a little over two years ago. Iwould say that 75 percent of the homes we knock, the home owners give uspermission to hunt their yards.

When I started metal detecting again in 2009, I huntedthe parks, schools, churches etc. and would find the occasional silver.

A friend of mine in Ft. Worth had told me about gettingpermission from property owners to hunt their property. Even though I’ve beenin sales for years, it was hard at first to knock on someone’s door and ask tohunt (dig) their front yard.

In the past two years I have been in every town in ahundred mile radius of where I live knocking doors. I look for homes built inthe late 1800s and early 1900s. I mostly hunt corner lots, they are a littlebigger and have had more traffic with people cutting through them.

When I go up to someone’s house and they are hesitant, Istart asking them about their home, when was it built, do they know any historyabout it, have they found anything interesting in it. Most home owner enjoytalking about their old homes.

I have been hunting with my buddy for over three years,it was really hard for him at first. Now we take turns knocking till the homeowner says yes. Whoever did the door knocking and gets permission gets tochoose where he wants to start hunting in that yard. After doing this as longas we have, you know where the coins (silver) should be.

We have found as many as ten silver coins in one yard.Some times the yard that we think would really produce the silver, may notproduce anything. That yard probably was hunted in the past.

Yea, the first time I done it I was really nervous... it has gotten a lot easier since then. My friend on here (RIDirtDigger) is nervous about asking permissions and I keep telling him "the worst they can say is no" and I get about the same ratio as you do... thanks for posting this! GL and HH
    I <3 colonial relics!