Thread: Half snow covered yard = silver and a nice wheatie! Also a recap on 2/16's hunt

Half snow covered yard = silver and a nice wheatie! Also a recap on 2/16's hunt

First let's start off with the hunt on 2/16... I went to my step grandparents house and hunted the place i found the enfield bayonet scabbard tip again, an old vacant house; ground was half frozen but had to get out there. I came across a new honey hole for sure, the field across the street from the old house ! Got a "late war" (thanks PAcivilwarluke for ID! ) general staff eagle cuff button (has no backmark) which could've been worn by a confederate OR union soldier from what I've heard. Also got a suspender strap, a couple of rivets, a few flat buttons, and a confederate "gardener" bullet! An hour hunt in the frigid temperatures was totally worth it! I think the people who lived here back then lost a lot... can't wait to get back out there, I only hunted for ten minutes in the field... got the three buttons, rivet, and bullet there... did i mention I can't wait to go back?

AND

for my hunt yesterday I went to an 1885 home with half the yard snow covered. Owner was real nice and was surprised I found stuff. I love metal detecting! At first I didn't get many signals, then around a tree in a small pathway, I get a few wheaties here and there then a solid 82 in one direction. The other direction was completely iron, so I went ahead and dug it cause I knew it was good and low and behold!

just a 1947 rosie, but silver is silver I guess! #4 for the year...
    as I was getting more wheats and a sweet little brooch. I ended up having to leave as I couldn't find any other area that wasn't covered by a foot of snow to detect... the rain is going to help a lot with the melting !!!

One of the wheats turned out to be this!!! (JDSCOINS, you'll like this one!) 1909...

VDB!!!
    my first

not bad for a wheatie can't wait to hunt some COLONIAL houses once the snow melts

GL and HH everyone! Hope the snow melts for you NE'ers!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Nice job Issac. Silver and 1909 VDB. very cool.
    Nice job on the relics as well.
    It must feel great to be getting out.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congrats on your oldest Wheatie, ever. Great pile of finds there!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

the field sounds like it will produce some more great finds love the close up on the V.D.B. ,what kind of camera did you use ??

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I read there was something specific about the gardener bullets while trying to figure out my last three ringer. Too bad I don't remember. Omg it was so good to hear rain last night and wake up to see how much snow has melted. Just this past Sunday I was on the roof shoveling part of it off to make sure it melts off quick and it was still maybe 14 inches thick. Now it's like 6 inches. When we get done with the week there may be just a few piles left. Too bad the VDB wasn't a 'S', but I would still take it either way. Was there iron near by to the silver? When I pick up targets near iron I can still hear them in both directions, just more evident in one direction.

Great job on the VDB Isaac. I have two 1909 Wheaties but neither have an S or a VDB. Keep on swinging. HH
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Great relics and coins Isaac! Love that late war general service cuff button! Keep on swinging, the really old stuff is out there waiting for you! HH!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    I read there was something specific about the gardener bullets while trying to figure out my last three ringer. Too bad I don't remember. Omg it was so good to hear rain last night and wake up to see how much snow has melted. Just this past Sunday I was on the roof shoveling part of it off to make sure it melts off quick and it was still maybe 14 inches thick. Now it's like 6 inches. When we get done with the week there may be just a few piles left. Too bad the VDB wasn't a 'S', but I would still take it either way. Was there iron near by to the silver? When I pick up targets near iron I can still hear them in both directions, just more evident in one direction.
    I know what you mean... it sounded like heaven. Hopefullt the snow melts soon... the iron was a large nail next to the silver... it blocked some of the silver signal one way the other was mostly clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    the field sounds like it will produce some more great finds love the close up on the V.D.B. ,what kind of camera did you use ??

Dan
    I forgot to mention a large cent was found on the surface nearby here... and I really hope so hey Dan I am just using my iPhone 4S for this pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    Congrats on your oldest Wheatie, ever. Great pile of finds there!
    Thanks Bri! HH

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Nice job Issac. Silver and 1909 VDB. very cool.
    Nice job on the relics as well.
    It must feel great to be getting out.
    Yeah it's great, you guys in ILL will be out soon for sure. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Great job on the VDB Isaac. I have two 1909 Wheaties but neither have an S or a VDB. Keep on swinging. HH
    Thanks Jim. HH
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacivilwarluke View Post
    Great relics and coins Isaac! Love that late war general service cuff button! Keep on swinging, the really old stuff is out there waiting for you! HH!
    Thanks for helping me ID it! I knew it was odd... I love old!!!!!! HH!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Great finds, Isaac! I agree with del, that field surely contains a lot more old stuff and most likely some coins as well. Best of luck when you return there.

The 1909 VDB must have been fairly new when dropped, it doesn't have much wear on it at all. Nice find!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Really nice finds !! Love the 1909 VDB. It's on my list for sure.
    Whites TreasurePro, Oldest US Coin 1876 Seated Dime, Oldest Foreign Coin 1700's Chinese Cash Coin
    YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/pescadoremetaldetecting

Sweet Finds! I would be itching to get back there too. Liking that 1909 VDB!

I know you're itching to get back to that field and I'm waiting for some more goodies to be posted from that field. Huge congrats on that 1909 VDB
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice finds really like the vdb Congrats Isaac
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer