Thread: Thursday after Work.. Barber Quarter, Merc & Wheats

Thursday after Work.. Barber Quarter, Merc & Wheats

The ground here is Finally Thawed. At least most of it. So after work today, Alec and i decided to do a little door knocking in our town. There was no one home at the first 3 house. The fourth was a definite NO. Then I saw a couple of women standing in a driveway chatting. I stopped, gave my little speech and got a very definite YES. She said that she has lived there 50 years and the house was 100 years old when she moved in. It must have been remodeled cause it didn't look that old.
    The very first signal I got was a 12-46 about six inches off the side walk.The ground was still a little frozen, but not bad.
    I dug a 1911-D Barber quarter. Wow, what a surprise. I also dug 7 wheats.
    Alec dug a 1936 Merc in pretty nice shape. He also dug a wheat, some kind of insulator ( I think ), a toy jack and a car.

Man, it felt good to get out swinging !!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Elite Member
    That's a great hunt. It will be nice when all the frost is gone but it is great to get out in mid March. Nice hunt. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Way to go guys! Heck of a way to start the season!
    Specially with a Barber Quarter! WHOA!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Great first hunt Don so glad you guys finally thawed out...........Awesome Barber great way to kick it off
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Great looking barber there, congrats on getting out and digging finally! HH!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Way to go, Don and Al! It must feel good to finally be able to do some digging! Gotta love that Barber Quarter!

I am hoping that I will be able to do some detecting on Sunday.

Congrats on the great finds!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Did you nick the quarter? Congrats on a few nice silver. I'm ready to get out and swing. Maybe by sunday the snow will be gone enough to go out. Hopefully. But Monday should be near 50s. Yes, you have an insulator there. For the inside of a socket. The ones they used to run early wiring in houses were like miniature pole insulators (like the ones found by old railroads). I found one with more to the socket remaining, even the two brass tabs, but it all deteriorated in my bag. It was near one of the many buildings by the actual dam and overflow channel but I cannot see what exactly those buildings were used for.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Did you nick the quarter? Congrats on a few nice silver. I'm ready to get out and swing. Maybe by sunday the snow will be gone enough to go out. Hopefully. But Monday should be near 50s. Yes, you have an insulator there. For the inside of a socket. The ones they used to run early wiring in houses were like miniature pole insulators (like the ones found by old railroads). I found one with more to the socket remaining, even the two brass tabs, but it all deteriorated in my bag. It was near one of the many buildings by the actual dam and overflow channel but I cannot see what exactly those buildings were used for.
    Thanks for the info on the insulator, and yes I did nick the rim. The scratches on the face were already there.
    For whatever reason, the ground along the side walk was still pretty hard. I had to chisel a little bit, that's how i nailed it. Still happy to have it!
    I hope you can get out Sunday. GOOD LUCK
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Thanks for the info on the insulator, and yes I did nick the rim. The scratches on the face were already there.
    For whatever reason, the ground along the side walk was still pretty hard. I had to chisel a little bit, that's how i nailed it. Still happy to have it!
    I hope you can get out Sunday. GOOD LUCK
    Lol. I knew from how worn the back was, that all the scratches on the front were normal wear. The older scratches look darker. I just noticed the nick by the G in God. Still, you managed a barber which is good, which is the point of detecting. The company buildings closed Jan 1913 for where I found mine, that gives you a rough estimate of age. Yours looks just a little newer. I own a Radiant Lamp projection bulb (something like 500W...the same red white striped box if you check online). That was when the Edison base started being used, but the first type wasn't a screw style base. They had tabs to secure it in. I got it at an 1800's house when I was young, and intend to ask permission there this summer even tho my childhood friend doesn't live there anymore. Bulb was rougly 1930's/40's so thats cutoff date for your insulator base. Radiant/King mfg started 1927. And a note, the GU10 base used today looks similar, but the two electrode holes have a slot for twist locking. Yours does not have that so its not GU10.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 03-13-2015 at 09:16 AM.

And their off.....great way to start the new year. First dig, a Barber quarter .

and looking forward to seeing many more silvers.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice finds. Those wheats look to be in great shape! That soil was kind to them for sure. Nice to see some good finds starting to get posted. Still 1-2 feet of snow in my back yard up here in MA. The wait continues.....
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Congrats to you and Al. It`s great to see we`re finally getting out there finding some silver. Great start.

Glad to see you getting out! Congrats on the finds, that Barber is sweet. Great start to the year.
    Minelab Etrac, BH 202.
    2015 silvers 32
    2015, $71.80, 12 Merc's, 11 Rosies, 2 Walkers, 3 Washingtons, 4 war nickels, 2 buffs, 30 wheats....

Sweet silver !
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Nice going Don! Been dying to get out. Hopefully in a week or 2 my season will open up.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album