Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "EAM"AZING HUNTS THIS WEEK! GOLD, SILVER, RELICS, and MORE! :) (pic heavy)

"EAM"AZING HUNTS THIS WEEK! GOLD, SILVER, RELICS, and MORE! :) (pic heavy)

Really bummed I didn't have my camera with me... but anyway let's get to the story and then pics.

Ahh Private Property, Private Property; oh how I love thee

Finally have time to post this...

so Thursday, I headed to a few home sites in the past that I metal detected last summer. Was hoping on clearing something else from the 1909 V.D.B. house... unfortunately that didn't pan out (the rest of the yard was filled in ) but I went to a house across the street I hunted last summer... BAM! Nailed a signal 5 minutes from where I dug a nice spill a couple years ago and managed to find a thin piece of sterling. Started getting dry so I moved on to my FIRST ever permission spot... guy is real nice and found a lead bale seal and that's it. Went to the next house which I knew I didn't go over very throughly, this was right across the street from the last house. Went real slow and got a crappy signal. I dug down 10" !!! to find a coin in the hole!!! It was a buffalo nickel with a clear date (1936, 3rd fty) ... crazy deep, I rescanned the hole with my pinpointer and got another signal... turns out this was the signal I was originally getting, foil at 7". I went around the yard some more, picking up various small targets and relics. Went into a different area of the yard and signals were getting more frequent. I found a new area to detect where they chopped a large section of shrubs. Immediately I got a 69 signal and popped up an Indian Head (#5 fty) and that was pretty much it besides a couple shallow Wheaties that I missed. I'm still wondering how the buffalo got down 10" even though most of the old stuff was down 2" or less... maybe fill dirt?

On Friday I hit up an 1820 house which turned out to be abandoned and COMPLETELY TRASHED.
    It was beyond awful. So I went to a new site a few miles away… an 1858 house for about 15 minutes. Ended up finding a make-up case with initials "FB", a folded up piece of brass and an 1899 Indian Head Cent (#6 FTY)

Saturday I went back for a couple hours and hit the field in front of the house. Was able to recover a few great finds, but targets were awfully slim. My first find was a "first" for me, a .69 cal Civil War bullet. Then I got a flat button and a rivet. After a while I decided to hit another area and pulled a nice .52 cal Sharps then three Wheaties in the same hole. Not bad, always good to pull something civil war!

On Sunday, it was almost 70°, me and my dad did some scouting in an older area about an hour away from us in hopes of colonial and pre civil war relics and coins. First knock no one was home, second one was a beautiful 1750 house… they said "sure but my brothers and sons have pounded this place" and unfortunately, they were moving out and we have to ask the next owner... they still owned the property across the street from the house, about 500 feet away. We tried the fields for an hour and a half and in the first five minutes, I got a beautiful flat button with the threads still intact. Pretty damn cool! Things dried up fast and we moved on. Next house, no one home, next house, no one home, next house… was moved from a different location a short time ago (damn!!!) and then a house where the owners said yes BUT not that day. (they were leaving for business trip) . Got another no-show and then FINALLY as we were about to give up … the lady at a Beautiful 1789 Tavern/Inn (now used as a house of course) said… "Have at it, and show me what you find!"

Tons of fields and pastures had me drooling excessively. Good lord the views are freaking gorgeous here… I put on then big coil and got running into the fields. Almost immediately I start hitting deep signals… there's barely any trash in here! First got a piece of a skeleton key piece, a couple brass flat buttons and then a great seal button. After that I went up a small hill and got am extremely faint mid tone in one direction, then the signal would cut out and disappear in the other... I dug a standard 7" plug and couldn't get the signal with the Pinpointer. Got a sweet high tone signal when I put the detector in the hole and dug a little deeper. That's when I got the signal with the pinpointer in the sidewall. I used the Lesche to pry behind where I was getting the signal and BAM! A large yet thin copper disk peeks from the hole! I was easily 10" down at that point. After that I was getting more signals on the bottom of that hill closer to the house I kept getting old brass. A complete 1904 spoon, a beautiful cameo brooch and a brass wedding band came up. Also got a "Souvenier" pin that looks interesting… if anyone has any ideas what it is/was and where it came from, tell me! Much appreciated! Ended up climbing the hill again heading far away from the house it's self. Was completely off guard when I pulled a gardener bullet super close to the road, about 300 feet from the house. Then as it was getting dark I pulled two ancient lead buttons and a musketball. My last signal of the night as I walked back to the van was just like that large cent I got about an hour ago. Dug down a solid 8" to see a chunk of silver! Did a quick swipe and I saw initials. All this stuff in 90 minutes. After that I was super excited to clean everything when I got home, and see what the large cent was. After a quick rinse, the crud came off and it revealed a ladies bust facing to the left. Draped bust. Unfortunately, it's way too worn to tell a date.

On Monday I got permission to a 1895 house and 1875 house close to me. Unfortunately I couldn't do the 1875 that day but the 1895 looked decent. "It's trashed up" I thought as I first swung the detector. But as I listened more closely, I was able to distiguish trash from treasure. I got my first signal that I knew wasn't surface trash, it was fainter than surface trash. Ended up pulling out a beautiful dog tax tag from 1906-1907. Then I headed towards the front and got a wheatie pretty quickly. After dodging more garbage… I got a fainter garbage signal. Ended up digging down and saw a shiny edge… of GOLD! I wiped the dirt off and noticed it was not only gold, but was Rose Gold, and OLD. (I can tell it was an older style by the prongs) I rubbed the inside hoping for a marking and I saw it. 10K. Yes!!! That's my 8th gold I've ever found AND my first gold ring in almost 2 years!!! I was more than stoked! That's when I thought I had no hope to find the stone so I looked around and I saw something shining in the sunny dirt… it was the stone!!!!! How freaking lucky can I be?!?! I've ever even eyed a marble but I saw that small little stone! I was about to push that dirt back into the hole too! I'm 95% sure it's a CZ, but you never know !!!

About 5 minutes after that gold ring I got another faint foil signal and… yup… ANOTHER indian head (1893 and #7 fty) … man I was shaking badly at this point! I got another faint signal and it turned out to be a dateless buff! That's my fourth buffalo FTY… really weird. I dug only 6 last year and I have 4 already.

On Tuesday (yesterday), I was able to hunt the 1875 house… wait until you see this 1915 D barber quarter I dug out there… gotta be my best conditioned coin I've found! I haven't cleaned anything else besides the barber quarter yet (busy with school work and crap) but I ended up getting my first V Nickel this year at 9" deep, a worn (and scratched
    ) 1912 D Barber Dime, a few Wheaties, a CRAZY spill consisting of a brass pendant, a Mercury Dime, and a War Nickel. Also got a really cool old lock and some type of modern military button.

Thanks for looking guys and HH !!!!!

Last edited by Isaac; 03-18-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Amazing finds Isaac. That Barber quarter is in amazing condition one of the best I've ever seen and I love the gold ring. Also great job on the relics and other stuff. AMAZING WEEK!!!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Incredible finds !!! Congrats
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Amazing finds Isaac. That Barber quarter is in amazing condition one of the best I've ever seen and I love the gold ring. Also great job on the relics and other stuff. AMAZING WEEK!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PL8MAN View Post
    Incredible finds !!! Congrats
    Thanks so much guys, really appreciate the kind words
    I <3 colonial relics!

Those are some truly astonishing finds! Man, you've had a great week!

That Barber Quarter is probably the best grade Barber denomination coin I've ever seen, congrats!
    Whites MXT All Pro
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1721 Spanish 2 Reales
    Oldest Coin: 1699 King William III Halfpenny

WOW....great post Isaac. You got some of everything, actually about a full months worth of my finds. That Barber quarter is fantastic.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I like the silver piece and the eagle button. The button is so so great shape. But still congrats on the barber. It can be worth over $100 in that condition. Didn't realize the ring was rose gold. I didn't know it was 10k, which makes me now think it might be cz, like you said. If it was 14 or 18k, sure. couple if great hunts. Too bad the snow stopped melting and the weather decided to start blowing things. There's supposed to be some hunting this weekend at minimum. I stress the supposed part. I see from something in your write up you focused on a thing I focused inTo as well. Just don't be Killin it there.

Awesome finds Isaac. Looks real nice laid out in the collage pics. Congrats on that sweet Barber!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Very nice variety of finds Isaac!!
    The Barber quarter is a real looker!
    The rest of the finds are super cool too. It's cool you found a couple of civil war era bullets too. Thats one thing I'm yet to uncover.
    And gold is always a sweet, sweet find! I like the design of the ring. Simple but, unique! Love it!
    Congrats on all the goodies!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Helluva week you had, Isaac! Gotta love those .69's, they're huge, aren't they!?

Wow, is there anything you didn't find? Most definitely a great week worth of hunts.

That Barber Quarter is in amazing shape. Great find
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Elite Member
    That is a lot of nice finds. I think my future may lie in private lots as well. A lot of potential if you can get your foot in the door. great finds. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

I don't see the dog tax? Those are one of my favorite things to find. Some of the older ones have some pretty unique designs. Care to share?
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

You are living the dream, Isaac! So many incredible finds, I don't know where to begin! I love the Draped Bust Large Cent, the gold ring and that silver E.A.M. emblem. Even the flat buttons are super cool to me because we don't find them here in Illinois.

But that Barber Quarter is off the charts! What an incredible coin! WOW!

Thanks for taking us along on this wonderful ride, and I hope your streak of amazing finds continues!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

YOW! Great hunts! Great finds
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Amazing hunt Isaac! Great assortment of relics and coins....and that Barber is just gorgeous....
    Minelab Etrac, BH 202.
    2015 silvers 32
    2015, $71.80, 12 Merc's, 11 Rosies, 2 Walkers, 3 Washingtons, 4 war nickels, 2 buffs, 30 wheats....

Thank you so much everyone!!! No words to tell how kind everyone on the forum is... you guys are freakin' awesome!!! Tim, I'll get you some pictures of the dog tax tag ASAP
    I <3 colonial relics!

Also, I got ANOTHER GOLD RING TODAY. I'll be posting the pictures tomorrow on a different thread. This week is amazing
    I <3 colonial relics!

Wowzers Isaac great bunch of finds congrats
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Wow, amazing! That barber quarter is a stunner and banner worthy!