Thread: A first for me.. 1700's coin ( in Ohio)

A first for me.. 1700's coin ( in Ohio)

hi guys,
    The weather in Ohio finally broke. I got out for my first time this season I started hunting in a Field where in old school house stood. Me and one of my hunting buddy's Tom. We Hunted for a few hours. I found a large cent 1847.. Tom found a Indian head..
    We left and got some coffee and a bite to eat. we did some cold knocking tracking down owners of property. We decided to go back to the spot we had last year old schoolhouse been in the same Field was a very old home ( there in 1858 and gone by 1878) we couldn't hunt the schoolhouse area due to the winter wheat so we concentrated on the old home site... It was a small site... We found a few buttons small patches of iron..then I got a good hit at 7 in Tom wanted to see what a good target look like on my detector... So I was showing him the 3030's screen ( he has a v3I) but I didn't realize how good of a target it was... So dug my hole and pull out what I thought at first was a large cent
    But after running water over it and seeing the large shield... I knew it was not a large cent.. Wasn't sure what it was until I got to the house and did some investigating on the computer..
    It looks to me like a Jersey copper..
    That would be my first 1700's coin
    sweet

What do you guys think?
    And thank for looking!
    CTX3030... Hunt until it hurts!!!

I don't know much about the colonial coppers, but either way, a very cool find.
    I do see the shield.
    Some of the guys on this forum will be able to tell you exactly what it is. Maybe even who dropped it
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Nice find and kind of a mystery! What is the coins diameter?

It's a Little bigger than a large cent as you can see in the photo.which surprise me. I'll do more precise measurement on it if need be.

hey Don its definitely a New Jersey State copper these were minted from 1786 to 1788 when some of the first settler's were coming out to your state

Huge congrats on a very early find for your area Don .
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks Del,
    I was hoping one of you guys would confirm my suspicions.... I'm stoked about finding such an old copper around here...

being from a farm field it could of been dropped very new too Don , you may have a very old home site nearby and there maybe some other old coin laying about . Again huge congrats to you !!
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats on a great find!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Very cool find!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Awesome find Don Huge CONGRATS
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Wow what a find for OH! Huge congratz
    I <3 colonial relics!

Congrats on the New Jersey Copper!

That is a very cool find for Ohio! I have hopes that there could be coins that old in Illinois too, as the Peoria area was settled by the French in the late 1600s, and the road from Vincennes, IN to St. Louis, MO was heavily traveled from the 1740s onward. I have seen reports on the forums of Spanish silver from the 1700s being found in Illinois.

So coins from the 1700s are out there, you just gotta get your coil over them. Congrats on doing just that!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks guys... It was a blast to dig... That's why we're all in this hobby

Surprised it's just a bit larger than the matron (assuming that's the 1847 mentioned in the writeup). Should be really close in size. .but I know variations did occur as there was no standard diameter for state coppers or even the design varied often. Partying like it's 1799?

Tony I was wondering to check when settlers moved west but you already knew. Obvi there were a few different movements. Guessing there's not much west of the Mississippi earlier than 1803. Maybe a couple if so.

I found a few places now where schools stood that were farm fields in the 30s but wooded now. I just can't fathom how the town sold the land off cuz I've found quite a few others where the school once stood but is on a parcel still owned by the town... with nothing on it.

WTG on finding a NJ all the way out there! If it could only talk.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Spectacular recovery Don. NJC in Ohio =

A true beauty to get anywhere, especially in your neck of the woods.

Now that's an early coin find for Ohio!! I would be going nuts for getting such an old find in a "newer" area. Congrats man!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Great find and the shield imprint definitely confirms its a CT Copper as Dan as stated. Way to go.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Great find, congrats.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

How cool is that! In Ohio nonetheless! :D congrats on an awesome jersey!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"