Thread: Help with Buckle/Clasp

Candidate Member

Help with Buckle/Clasp

Hi everyone!

I found this about 2 inches deep in NC. I realize it's a buckle of some sort, but I can't figure out what. The name stamped on it, is very clearly "HARPER".

I've looked at belt buckles/dog collars/horse harnesses...I'm lost

It's heavy,but I'm not sure what kind of metal it is. I realize it's probably not worth the trouble, lol, but it's killing me to know what it came off of!

Name:  buckle 1.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  23.2 KBName:  buckle 2.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  20.0 KB

Couldn't find any disestablished companies with the name Harper. Judging by the size from the second pic, it's a small buckle maybe 1 1/2" long. Since the name is cast into design makes me think it's not too old. For anyone else taking a look, the belt went from right to left as orientation of picture, and the tab should point to the left when closed. Something possibly from a pet collar. There is a woman's clothing line still active called Harper. There were a few boots and shoes with buckles on them. Or if they made any pocketbooks.

Candidate Member
    I found the womans clothing line too, but I couldn't find anything to compare it to on their website. I agree with you, I don't think it's that old. I only just picked up my detector this week (after it sitting in the closet for years) and was just excited to find something other than nails and aluminum cans! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferK View Post
    I only just picked up my detector this week (after it sitting in the closet for years) and was just excited to find something other than nails and aluminum cans! LOL
    Whether you are a noob or been doing it for years, you still pull up a few nails and cans/canslaw. If you found the item in a park I would lean toward either the pet collar or buckle from a newer shoe. Depth is not always a determination, but 2 inches isn't too deep. (yet I have posted twice this past summer finding wheats literally ontop of the soil). If you are frequenting the parks, you might wanna use some discrimination or learn what items like cans sound like. My machine tells in the manual the detect area is a bit larger for cans and the reading tends to jump a lot as well as a slow roll off the higher the coil is above the ground. Should help you determine better what is in the ground before you dig.

...you are at least in an area where you can detect. Us in NE have been going stir crazy. Sunday I was only able to pull up two pieces of iron and then give up. Due to the depth of snow, cold/wind, and only being able to use a mode which doesn't tell me the target's mineral content.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 03-26-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Candidate Member
    It's illegal in NC to detect in state parks, unless you are searching for your own personal property, and then you have to be accompanied by a ranger, lol.

I actually have just been in mine and my neighbors yard. The neighborhood is about 20 years old, and was farmland before that. I was in his front yard, along the road when I found the buckle.

My detector is not fancy enough, I don't think, to tell the difference in metals. Everything sounds the same. Honestly, I don't mind so much, at least if I'm digging up cans, I'm getting them out of the ground and into a trash can. It was just exciting to get something different.

My best friend has an aunt that lives right on the edge of a historic battlefield, so we're going to hunt her yard this weekend. I'm hoping for some ammo or a button, or even better....silver! LOL

In CT, there are only 7 archaelogical preserves in state parks where it is illegal to even bring a detector in. Well, I'm sure it will be asked if not by me, what do you swing? It's exciting to dig something you don't know what it is. At least you got a spot to check, but I was going to suggest learning the history and using old maps from the area to find places to hit. A lot of the times I have found places just by driving by them, and then researching age. Good luck at the yard/battlefield this weekend. We all wanna find some silver. Lol

Candidate Member
    You'll laugh, it's a Bounty Hunter Fun Finder, just a little starter detector that we bought my daughter a few years ago. Nothing fancy.

We did okay this weekend. Found a nickel, 4 pennies, and a few pieces of metal I'm trying to clean up so that I can figure out what they are.

Other than tumbling, how do you all clean your finds. I used CLR on the metal, and it didn't do anything. Dumped the pennies in some vinegar, which removed some of the gunk, but definitely stripped the patina. I wouldn't have put them in there if I hadn't been sure they were just regular old lincoln pennies.

I am actually shocked no one chimed in whether I was correct or not. There be a few who know a lot about buckles. I got a BH too, but much higher in their series. They are just a bit "corpracized" for some people's likings. Seems like you are getting into the hobby and might eventually upgrade to something that will give a target ID. There have been people finding cache's with cheap machines, it can happen.

There is a section on this forum about cleaning finds. Some of the iron may even need electrolysis. I've used hot peroxide on some of my large cents. The vinegar seems to be the best on brass items. I have yet to put something in olive oil for months at a time,.............. and wait.

Hello JenniferK welcome to the forum , I 'm in no way an expert in buckles but to me it resembles a type of strapping buckle that you would buckle up and also sinch tight . used for securing loads , it doesn't look terribly old to me but buckles are sometimes experts in deceivery .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album