Thread: Hey Y'all...

Candidate Member

Hey Y'all...

Hey everybody!

I'm Jennifer from North Carolina. I'm using an El Cheapo Bounty Hunter "Fun Finder" that we bought my oldest daughter a few years ago for Christmas. She used it for about 7 seconds and she was done.

I lost my Dad in 2013, and my Mom in 2014, and I was her caretaker for 8 years. Needless to say I've not handled it well. We're coming up on the anniversary of her death, so I decided I needed a new hobby and I picked up the detector.

So far, I've hunted my yard, my neighbors yard, the field behind our house, and this weekend I hunted in the yard of a friend who lives on the edge of Averasboro Battlefield, along the edge of the river, and a few fields that weren't posted with "No Trespassing" signs, lol.

I've found a ton of nails, cans, random metal I can't identify, a nickel, 4 pennies, and a bobby pin!

I'm having fun, but I fear I will soon get bored if I can't find somewhere to go!

In NC, you can't hunt in state owned parks. I'm running out of ideas of places to go!!

Hi Jennifer!

Please don't apologize for the type of detector you use. I'm sure that 99% of us got into the hobby with a starter machine of some sort. And hey, if your daughter has lost interest then someone may as well get some use out of it.

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. I have found that metal detecting is a very therapeutic hobby, and when I'm detecting it really helps to take my mind off of life's worries. Other than State Parks, have you tried hunting at local city parks, ball fields, school yards, town halls, community buildings, fair grounds or picnic areas? Those are just a few ideas that you may want to check out.

We're glad you joined the forum and we're looking forward to hearing about your future finds.
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 03-31-2015 at 07:26 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Welcome to the AD forum. Post some of your unidentifiable items. Someone will know what you have.

Welcome Jennifer! I had a lot of fun with my Bounty Hunters, had one in the late 70's and still have one that I take out on occasion. The itch to go deeper caused me to get the Etrac...... You too will soon have the itch.....everyone who detects gets it!

Good luck and happy hunting.....
    Minelab Etrac, BH 202.
    2015 silvers 32
    2015, $71.80, 12 Merc's, 11 Rosies, 2 Walkers, 3 Washingtons, 4 war nickels, 2 buffs, 30 wheats....

Candidate Member
    Thanks guys! I've posted a buckle I found, and I have some pieces I found tonight that I'm going to post. I'm trying to gain permission, or at least make sure I won't get arrested at the city parks (there aren't many) and school yards now! If I'm lucky, I'll be heading out to Surf City this weekend, and I'm taking my detector with me. Who knows what I might find in the sand?

Welcome aboard Jennifer!! Ain't no shame in a Bounty Hunter,,,, last time I checked they were filled with fun.
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Hi Jen!
    Like Tony said, no apologies required. Gotta start somewhere. Keep it up and you'll learn what the machine is telling you is down there.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Welcome Jennifer, Tell your friends about your new hobby. I bet they can help you get some permissions at private properties.
    Just have fun, the cool finds will come when you least expect them.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Jennifer, welcome from western MA. Keep asking and you'll never run out of places to detect. Also I can't remember ever getting a bobby pin, congrats on yours....but I'll betcha that I have more pull tabs . Looking forward to seeing your finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Welcome to our forum Jennifer. I`m sorry for your loss, I too have lost a lot of my friends and family in the past 5yrs. I started detecting 4yrs ago with a Bounty hunter and I`ve found that it helps ease the pain a little by just being out and having a headset on and just tuning out life for awhile. And when I do find something old, I take a little break and look up in the sky and know that they`re looking down on us with a smile.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Welcome to the drum Jennifer from SE Wisconsin. Just have fun with your new hobby and the finds will come. Good luck with your trip to the beach.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Jennifer welcome to the forum , I envy the old history that is all around in your area and hope you find some nice places to detect.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome Jennifer. I got hooked into the hobby with a $24.00 garage sale Bounty Hunter. I found a coin spill of over a hundred coins (recent spill, but still!). I had a blast with that thing. Just have fun!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

A big Texas welcome to the forum. Lots of info here and a bunch of nice folks. Have fun and God bless you.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00