Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V3i vs MXT Pro

V3i vs MXT Pro

I know this is sort of an apples-to-oranges comparison, but I would like to hear opinions from those who are familiar with these machines, in particular those who have used both.

I would have had an MXT a long time ago except I didn't like the single tone. Now they have added multitones on the new version.

So what are the pros and cons of the V3i vs the new MXT Pro? What would make you choose one over the other?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Re: V3i vs MXT Pro

I owned an MXT and pulled some really deep coins with it. I had an Indian Head at 9 to 10 inches with it using the D2 coil. I sold this detector to raise money for the V3. I always felt the only thing missing was the Tone ID. The tones are pretty basic like on the M6, but that's enough to get the job done. I would have liked to have seen more Tones. I think the ground tracking is the best ever developed by Whites. It is definitely superior to that of the V3's. The 15 kHz range frequency is really a great frequency. I wish the V3 had this instead of the 22.5, which is to high for coin hunting, and to low for nugget shooting. I really don't understand why this is frequency is was even considered for the V3. I would buy the MXT Pro in a heartbeat if I was not lusting after an E-Trac right now.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

I haven't had the opportunity to use a MXT Pro. As most know, I love the MXT though and tone ID is a huge improvement to an already great machine.

Just my personal opinion though...I think the Visions are easier for a new detectorist to use. The MXT really excels when it's cranked up.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Has anyone went into the library on the V3i and tried the MXT program?And compared it to the MXT. Yazoo

Candidate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    I owned an MXT and pulled some really deep coins with it. I had an Indian Head at 9 to 10 inches with it using the D2 coil. I sold this detector to raise money for the V3. I always felt the only thing missing was the Tone ID. The tones are pretty basic like on the M6, but that's enough to get the job done. I would have liked to have seen more Tones. I think the ground tracking is the best ever developed by Whites. It is definitely superior to that of the V3's. The 15 kHz range frequency is really a great frequency. I wish the V3 had this instead of the 22.5, which is to high for coin hunting, and to low for nugget shooting. I really don't understand why this is frequency is was even considered for the V3. I would buy the MXT Pro in a heartbeat if I was not lusting after an E-Trac right now.

Jack
    22.5 is great in the UK for pulling out tiny thin hammered silver coins - could that be the reason - to add this functionality for non-US territories?
    2010 hammie count - 24: 2011 = 1

Quote Originally Posted by ramases View Post
    22.5 is great in the UK for pulling out tiny thin hammered silver coins - could that be the reason - to add this functionality for non-US territories?
    It was probably to try and get as close as possible to a machine that could do it all. So do you hunt in single frequency mode then? That would be a rush digging up something like that Ramases!

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Candidate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    It was probably to try and get as close as possible to a machine that could do it all. So do you hunt in single frequency mode then? That would be a rush digging up something like that Ramases!
    Hiyer - I tend to start out in 3-freq mode (adding Salt when using a SEF to smooth things out) then pop into 22.5KHz to give any hotspots an extra going-over - usually with the 10&quotcheesysmile: and/or the 6x10. I've had a lot of hammered coins over the years but each one makes the heart beat a little faster when it becomes clear what it is!
    2010 hammie count - 24: 2011 = 1

The MXT was my first Whites machine and I liked it a lot until I got the DFX. It played second fiddle until I sold it. I do regret parting with it, but I got over it. The DFX is more than enough detector for me. IMHO, I would get the V3i because it's new technology and there are many improvements involved. I don't have one, but I will eventually get one. The MXT is quite nice and now with tones, even better, but I'd still go for the latest and greatest.

Whites doesn't sit on it's laurels, they are constantly working to push the envelope and I think that if you keep up with them, you'll be out front. Many people have said they found stuff with their V3i's in places they've hunted for a long time and thought these places to be hunted out.

That's proof enough for me. I'm no guru, these are just my opinions.

I hope that helps you, Regards, Ken
    Minelab E-Trac, stock coil

I've always thought the MXT needed two things...Tones and a SignaGraph.

When I use my MXT I can expect to dig deep iron on almost every hunt and I also feel I'm skipping over some signals in high trash areas because of the one tone (two if in relic mode). The MXT Pro with tone ID might be great in trash areas. The V3i with its 3 frequencies really helps decipher the the target's id before I dig. A high VDI target that is 2.5 Hz green dominant is usually copper or silver. If it is 22.5 blue dominant then it is usually iron, I do not know how the guys across the pond find silver with this 22.5 Hz frequency. Anyway, the MXT fools you every now and then with deep iron sounding like a good target and has no ability to further analyze to help you decide to dig or not (never tried Prospecting mode at this point to see iron probability). Not sure what Tone ID on the MXT Pro would do about this Relic mode is the only way to hunt with the MXT and at the brink of +2 to +3 gain to get good depth like Lowjiber stated. Ignore the grunts and look at the screen when you have a good beep, then decide to dig or not. At almost a grand less the MXT Pro will be a great turn on and go machine for about any detectorist out there.
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Though I know this is an older thread, I too suffer from the same dilemma.

I'm starting out in the hobby, and after research, decided on MXT Pro. Local dealer agreed it would be a terrific machine.

When I visited the dealer, I tried and like the MXT Pro. Then I asked about a couple of Minelabs and the V3i. Long story short, I tried the V3i in a demo field, and found the visual display (the three color-coded lines)extremely simple to follow. I'm a visual person, and when looking at the chart/graph on the V3i, I found I was able to accurately identify targets after about 5 minutes of practice.

Now, my wallet says go with the MXT Pro, and it is a wonderful detector - but my heart's longing for the V3i.

Hello

I had 4 years with my MXT and I think I was very good with it. Like Lowjiber I ran it hot. I wouldn't have spent the extra money to upgrade to the PRO. The M6 like tones just wasn't that big an advantage. If I was buying a PRO I would be dealing to get a D2 instead of the 12, unless I was getting a second coil. Is the MXT a great detector, you bet. Would I sell my V and go back, NO. If money is a concern, you can't go wrong with a MXT. MHO Rob
    Advise is cheap, mine is free.
    V3 MXT Mr. Bill IDX

Welcome to the forum and our mutual obsession.

You are correct in your assessment. The MXT (pro or otherwise) is a great machine. However, it doesn't give nearly as much visual information as the V.

With either machine, you'll enjoy hundreds of hours hunting and find plenty of help here. If you get the MXT, let me know and I'll send you some tips. If you go the V route, let me know and I'll send you The Book of Jack.

I guess one other thing to consider,is that the V3i has an MXT program on it.As with any other program on the V3s,I would think you would be able to tweak it to what ever frequency, etc. that you wanted.
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

Howdy Folks!
    My own impression, being an owner of both an MXT 300 and MXT Pro, compared to the V3i that I also own is this:
    There ain't much the V3i offers that the MXT machines can't match.
    And for much less cost.

The V3/V3i is a gross disappointment in my view, and all the ballyhoo only increased the performance of Whites V3/V3i in taking money out of your wallet.

That may seem a harsh assessment, but them's the berries as I sees 'em.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    Gold Sale 2/5/13 = $25.50
    YTD = $73.21

Its Going to be a Shpadoinkle Day!

Gunning for Gold!

I have had the MXT and would love to buy the MXT Pro with all the new add ons especially the back light. The first V3 I owned was going down hill then I had the $125.00 i upgrade and it went even further down hill and it did it in a whole bunch of other languages heck I do good to speak English. rofl By that I mean it would not detect any deeper than 2 I tried all the factory pre-sets and my own program 2. That was a two hour drive from home to hunt CW Relics with a friend. >:\ White's then sent me another brand new V3i worked great for a few hunts then I went back to an area that I was using my program on before and I had to start all over adjusting things again. >:\ Well that did it for me I traded that sucker in on the TDI Pro and I am very happy I did. lol lol

While the ground tracking of the MXT is superior to that of the V3/V3i it can not match the uncanny ability of the V3/V3i to find the good targets amongst trash. Masking is still an issue in my mind with the MXT. In the open it will match the V3i in depth, throw in a little trash and your out in left field with the MXT. Since I made my last post over 6 months ago on this thread I have matched and surpassed the depth that I achieved with the MXT.

I'm still partial to the DFX's Signagraph display and haven't figured out how to replicate that on the V3i. It sure does make a HUGE difference over the MXT for finding multiple targets in the same hole. You see them both on the screen!

MXT is easier for a novice or someone intimidated by a fully programmable detector as it's just a few knobs to twist.
    If you're ever around Dallas and want to do some treasure hunting give me a shout!

I still have my MXT and it still works great but I'm having too much fun with my V3i so my MXT has been play backup. I bring it along when hunting with someone who doesn't have a detector now and then.

I have the MXT and V3i and i find myself using the MXT more and more,it seems i dig deeper targets more often with it,and did i mention what a hassle free machine it is .