Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help !!! US soldier tag

Help !!! US soldier tag

Dear all,

I post here and I deeply apologize if this is not the right place. My request is a bit specific as a friend of mine has found a US soldier tag in France. Probably not what you would call a "relic" but I simply could not find a better appropriate place in the forum. Again, if not appropriate (forgive my English !), please forgive me !

My friend was able to find some information about this soldier and has asked me to help him find any possible relatives. He would like to be able to send the tag back to the family.

I started searching and I actually have found some information. The only missing part is... relatives to send the tag back ! I cannot find out if this gentleman had any children. On one website, I could find his wife's name and she is apparently still alive. That is all I have.

Admins and moderators :

- If this is not the right place on the forum, please move my post.
    - If this post is inappropriate for the forum. Please delete it. I'll understand.
    - If you think this is ok and people are willing to help, let me know the best way to communicate the information.

THANK YOU ALL !!!
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World

It might help if we knew the name.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

I know, I just want to make sure it is ok to post this here first.

Taltahull this is a great place to post this , very appropriate . As Lowjiber said we would need the soldier's name or as much info you can give us also there are a couple of websites or organizations the help with this type of thing . Heavymetalnut (Dave ) just had a WWII Id bracelet return with one of these i believe I will ask hime to come on and share some info to return the very personal relic.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thank you guys ! So here are the info :
    Here is the tag

Name:  rscn0210.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  87.9 KB

As you can see, the soldier's name is Norbert C Kerr. Person to call if this tag was found is Ms F Kerr, in Jackson, Michigan.
    With the information, this is what we found :

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-d...=1&rid=6333589

http://www.fold3.com/page/89500006_norbert_c_kerr/

His date of birth is supposedly in 1917. Doing a little more research, I found these additional information :

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 6.29.50 PM.png
Views: 322
Size:  117.2 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 6.30.15 PM.png
Views: 324
Size:  140.4 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 6.29.06 PM.png
Views: 316
Size:  127.9 KB

As you can see, on only one document, the date of birth is not 1917 but "abt 1918". Might have been frequent back in these days. Everything else looks ok.
    The mother's name : Florence Curtis, but in fact Florence Kerr gives us "Ms F Kerr".

So... at this point, another website confirmed all these information but also hid the spouse's name. Instead was written "Private". Explanation from the website, she is still alive and they would rather not give her name out. But on the other documents, I did find this "Marjorie Sarata"...

This is where I am right now. All I have is this Marjorie Sarata, hopefully still living in Michigan. She must be very old and I would rather contact children or even grandchildren.

Last thing, my friend found an article about this soldier in the Daily Telegram (Adrian, Michigan)

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.25.40 AM.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  124.3 KB

Thanks for your help guys !!

Up...

WOw great detective work Taltahull , I wonder if there is any descendents living in Apache Junction area (wish i still lived in phoenix . i was always traveling out that way) . please let us know of any updates to this very interesting story.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Yes, definitely (and desperately!) looking for descendents. Any help is more than welcome.

Now this is an interesting thread, please keep us informed.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Thanks Bell-Two. Finding a little more but still no descendants... If anybody has any idea where to look to find them...

sorry so late.just got home from hospital.Dan told me to have you contact Francesca on facebook.she runs this page and has had good success with returns
    https://www.facebook.com/angelosangels?fref=ts
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Thank you so much HEAVYMETALNUT !! Message sent to Francesca. Let's cross fingers !

Wow, hope this gets back to his family. A big thumbs up to everyone contributing to this effort!

Thank you guys. Dave, I hope you are feeling better as I am reading you are back from hospital.
    Francesca already replied to me. She seems absolutely great and very professional.
    I think what she's doing is fantastic. Therefore I advertised her FB page on mine.

Fingers crossed ! Will keep you posted !

Again, thank you all !

Quote Originally Posted by Taltahull View Post
    Thank you so much HEAVYMETALNUT !! Message sent to Francesca. Let's cross fingers !
    she's awesome and will surely do all she can to help!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Update... The tag has shipped to the US. Francesca has forwarded me an email from her friend Kara, who works with her when it comes to tracking descendants. The email was one and only one word... SUCCESS

YES !!!!!

Had another email from Kara later today with more info. All I can say is that it is a fantastic emotion !! And I can not thank Francesca and Kara enough for all the efforts they put in. In a few words for now, tag will soon be safely traveling home and this US soldier's son will very soon receive it... 70 years after it was lost in France.

I will ask Francesca and Kara if it is ok to post some more information "publicly". WHAT A FANTASTIC FEELING !!!!

awesome way to go
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

This is my Father...My 4 brothers and myself thank you from the bottom of our hearts to each and every one of your for getting this dog tag to us... It was sent to my twin .. who also carries our fathers name.. Bless each and everyone of you.
    Thanks to Taltahull , Francesca and Kara for working hard to find the home of a dog tag that has been missing for 70 years..
    Our family was not even aware that it was lost... As my father and grandfathers all four of my brothers also served and this has been such amazing find for our family... Thank you all so very much..

Thank you so much for posting here Nona ! It is a fantastic emotion to read you here. It has been a real honor to participate in this. I am really delighted that your father's tag has finally found a safe place and the home it deserves. I will forward this message to my friend Didier in France, who found the tag.
    You are absolutely right to thank Francesca and Karan, they did an amazing job !

Charles

Thank you so much Nona for registering and posting about your Father's Id tag , I am very warmed to hear that your family received the item and it has brought some peace , good memories and maybe some closure to them and you .

Dan