Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet CT. Copper, (2 x) 2 cent Pcs. and Flintlock

Cellar hole freak

Sweet CT. Copper, (2 x) 2 cent Pcs. and Flintlock

Went back to an old cellar hole that me and Foundation Hunter have been to in the past on Sunday. And this trip paid off again for us, my partner grabbed a Ct. copper and nice knee buckle and other assorted items, and i found a sweet looking 1787 Ct. Copper, i have no idea what variety it is, i know the first 7 in the date is much shorter than the last one, if anybody has any idea as to the variety i would love to get some feedback, also knocked another coin off my bucket list, by not only finding 1 but getting 2, 2 cent pcs. both dated 1864 with large motto, only problem is the word " WE " in motto in god we trust is completely missing on both coins, doesn't look to be from wear either. Then i found my first ever gun part with this nice but rusty flintlock, any ideas as to the age? Thanks for looking HH ALL !!!!!Name:  first coins of 2015 rev..jpg
Views: 193
Size:  98.2 KBName:  first coins of 2015.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  101.5 KBName:  flintlock.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  130.0 KB

That CT is beautiful! Love the two-two centers, awesome coins. Your lock plate looks like a percussion type lockplate, probably around the civil war era. How large is it? From here it looks like a pistol sized lockplate.
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Beautiful State Copper and double Two Centers!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Blog Entries
    Nice Gary I knew that site would pay off again.
    Nice Hunt Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I wonder where in CT it looks like this in the woods, finally. Good Friday it was still snow an wet near the central part of the state. Nice two centers. One looks like it has a worn date. The copper is really nice shape. Definitely a percussion style flintlock. The earliest one made for the US army was 1833, so most likely anywhere pre to post civil war. As far as copper, I think a more trained eye is needed. There are a few that it could be.

That is a sharp CT . Love the gun part and the two-centers too.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Beautiful coins. Love that CT copper ! Also... what's happening with 2 centers these days ??? They seem to be popping up everywhere !
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World

Quote Originally Posted by Taltahull View Post
    Also... what's happening with 2 centers these days ??? They seem to be popping up everywhere !
    I was just thinking the same thing! It seems that there have been a lot of them posted on the forum lately.

Meanwhile... that CT Copper is AMAZING! Wow, it's really in terrific shape! Wonderful detail on both sides. What an incredible find!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Woooow !! What a FANTASTIC hunt! An amazing conditioned CT copper, piece from a flint lock and not one but TWO 2-centers... big congrats man
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing! It seems that there have been a lot of them posted on the forum lately.
    Not just two-centers in general... there have been a few double two-center finds posted. I just forgot to include that in my comment because I was busy checking on the flint lock styles and dates.

That is the best CT I've ever seen! I've dug plenty of them and only one is date-able....and TWO 2 centers?! Were they close as in a pocket spill? Awesome hunt!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Cellar hole freak
    The 2, 2 Centers were about 1 ft away, the Ct. was about 3 ft down from the 2 centers

Cellar hole freak
    Do u think I should get it graded ?

I am surprised don in ny hasn't replied to this post yet.
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World

Very nice CT! It's an obverse M.33 known as the draped bust facing left. M.33 is probably the most common reverse type in CT's. It's main characteristic is having 4 cinquefoils in the obverse legend with a colon after AUCTORI and CONNEC. Can't quite tell if there is one before AUCTORI, but my guess is there is one. It's usually paired with one of the Z reverse dies. This would have 3 cinquefoils after INDE. There are other varieties that fall into this category, but from what I can see on the coin it's too hard to tell. Just and FYI, there are about 350 different varieties of CT. If you could send me a high res photo or scan I might be able to positively attribute yours. Shame you don't have Tultahull's archival cleaning pencils. Probably clean up real nice. It's a very nice CT. Below is one of my own CT's just to show you the legends' I was talking about.

Name:  33.2-Z.12 obv hall.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  35.9 KB Name:  33.2-Z.12 rev hall.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  40.1 KB
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Cellar hole freak
    What is an archival cleaning pencil and how do you get one, Thamks for the info Don, as usual a boat load of info, I appreciate all yours and everybody else's in put, please let me know where I can get one of those pencils and how to use it, Thanks again

Gorgeous
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Congrats on that beaut of a coin, they don't usually come out with that much detail. Love the lock plate too!

very nice hunt fellas
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Cellar hole freak
    Thanks Chief, Thiltzy, and Heavymetalnut !!!!!