Thread: Brass.... Thing?

Smile Brass.... Thing?

Hey Guys,

I was detecting on my girlfriend's family's farm (current barn has an 1894 dating in the cement) and came across this interesting..thing. I'm really new to this and this is the first 'interesting' thing we've found. The entire family has all sorts of ideas but it really is a weird one. The 'front' has two holes in it and the tip has a small hole for what seems to be a hinge or something? It was guessed to be part of furniture, farming equipment, wreath hook, shoe horn.. no def answers though. Has anyone else seen anything like this? I believe it's brass - you're all going to shun me but I ground a part of the back down to see (I highly doubt it's anything of value and wouldn't do that otherwise)

The side of the object has a picture of a flower etched into it and some lines to make it 'fancy'

Take a look and guess away! I'm totally lost..

Name:  DSCF0590.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  45.0 KBName:  DSCF0591.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  27.5 KBName:  DSCF0592.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  29.0 KBName:  DSCF0593.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  30.8 KBName:  DSCF0595.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  24.7 KB

a shoe horn?

That's a butt plate off of an old rifle or musket. Del or one of the other guys can probably give you more details. We had a similar one posted on the forum recently.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    a shoe horn?
    Lol - I'm not that old but now I feel like I am..

it's typically a piece of metal you put into the back of your shoe so you can slide your heel into the shoe easier

This type of thing: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1089_.jpg
    they come in all shapes and sizes

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    That's a butt plate off of an old rifle or musket. Del or one of the other guys can probably give you more details. We had a similar one posted on the forum recently.

Nice! Thanks a ton for the reply Tony! I can't wait for more info and I'll let the fam know :-)

Name:  Butt Plate.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  24.8 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Yeah - Once you said that it made sense - My dad has an old musket he inherited (wow are they heavy) and it has a very similar design on it.

The only thing that perplexes me is the little 'hinge' at the tip and no screw for that area.. kinda weird

Pivot point for the plate to flip open for storage area in the butt maybe?
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Name:  musket butt forum.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  36.6 KB
    I found this on another site when I searched.. I'm unsure the reasoning for a Pin vs having another screw but it seems they did this.. it perplexed me because if those screws are in there (in the back) it wont be able to swivel or flip?

That's an awesome, beautiful find! Wow!!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Skamaniac is correct, some of them were made for storage. The screws could be removed and the butt plate would swivel out, hinged on the pin. The gun stock was hollow and you could put ammo or whatever in there.
    Lifetime totals:

Super weird - Hopefully they had an extra set of screws in there.. I know I'd lose one

Quote Originally Posted by Pacivilwarluke View Post
    That's an awesome, beautiful find! Wow!!
    Thanks! I'm going back out there soon to find more hopefully!

Thanks everyone for the replies and info!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Great find Josh, WTG. I agree with a butt plate for a rifle. Nice observation Tony.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

hello Rogue , great looking Stock or Butt plate it has great detail and age but unfortunately it appears to be broken off at the smaller end . this helps alot to tell just what type of musket or rifle it was off of. But to me it looks similar any of the English types of long land Brown Bess weapons from 1725 to 1790 ...

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks guys! I'm going back out Sunday with the lady - we have no real plans (so lots of time to find stuff) and I know there were other good targets because as we were leaving I was swinging away and noted where I want to go back to (we were late for an Easter party :-P)

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    hello Rogue , great looking Stock or Butt plate it has great detail and age but unfortunately it appears to be broken off at the smaller end . this helps alot to tell just what type of musket or rifle it was off of. But to me it looks similar any of the English types of long land Brown Bess weapons from 1725 to 1790 ...

Dan
    Thanks a ton for the info! I never would have guessed it was that old! The area I was detecting was where the old home-site was.. that's awesome! I'm glad I'm not the reason it was broken but hopefully there's more fun stuff out there!
    Last edited by Rogue; 04-10-2015 at 11:14 PM.