Thread: My 5th copper of the year, a little silver, and lots of relics

My 5th copper of the year, a little silver, and lots of relics

The last 7 days were incredible with temperatures reaching the 60's and 70's almost every day. The week started out on Sunday when I hit up some cellar holes with Sam C. The finds were far and few between and it was pretty disappointing. Sorry Sam! I headed out on Monday to some private property to find a cabin site not on any maps with only the well remaining. I couldn't find it but I'm not giving up. That area is extremely old and there's gotta be some goodies hiding out there. Tuesday morning I returned to the cellar hole I found the 1838 matron last week. It was very muggy out and was raining on and off but I kept on digging. I found a small brass ring and was almost ready to give up when I decided to check very close to the cellar hole(s). The place is absolutely loaded with flat iron, I've never seen any place as bad as this one. After digging who knows how many pieces of flat iron, I get a high tone with iron mixed in just like all the other tones. I say "screw it" and pop a plug and reach my hand into the hole. I feel something and pull it out and to my surprise its not iron! Its a colonial shoe buckle!!!. The pins even move! Sadly its missing the frame but that still a great find nonetheless. I left soon afterword's cause I was sweating and had to clean up before class. Wednesday was a disaster as I returned to the property of the cabin site but instead attempting to hit up a colonial road that was used by revolutionary war troops. I found about 10 trails and had no idea which one is the oldest. Next time I go there the property owner is going to show me which one is the correct one. Tons of stone walls back there though. Thursday I hit a cellar on public land pretty close to the college. Place looked like it hadn't been hit to hard but most of the finds were Victorian. I did manage to pull out one colonial tombac button (not in photos), but otherwise it wasn't that impressive. I only stayed 2 hours at the most.
    Friday was another disappointment as I hit a public cellar and found it to be the most pounded place ever. No non ferrous signals except for one high tone that turned out to be an ornate piece to a Victorian keyhole.
    Saturday I got permission to hit a "1779" house in northern RI. The owner of the house turned out to be the town historian who told me the house was actually built likely in 1733 and proceeded to tell me some cool info about the house. We talked for a while about history, he showed me a few interesting locations on the property and then I started swinging. I hit the side yard and got an 81-83 signal but a little choppy. I dig it and see a silver rim down in the hole. It's a worn 1918 mercury dime, my 8th silver of the year. A few moments later I jumped over to the front yard and pulled out a dateless buffalo nickel. I was off to a good start. I then dug a 1925 wheat penny. Nothing incredible on Saturday got a nice piece to a very old crotal bell, a small cuff button, harmonica reed, ox knob, nothing spectacular but still nice finds. I did manage to pull out a cool badge that says "Rhode Island State Police, 75th anniversary 1925-2000" on the front and "Commemorative Ball April 8, 2000" on the back. Its not that old but cool because there is a lot of history with the state police in the property owners family and they have them on their key chains. I thought that was pretty cool. On sunday I made a return trip to the 1733 house and hit the former farm fields that have been converted to woods. I got a lead bale seal, some other relics but not nothing special until I got a 87-92 signal. I dug the hole and out popped a copper. . Back was in amazing shape when it came out but the front is pretty corroded. It turned out to be a matron head but I haven't gotten a date of it yet. Still ,its my 5th copper of the year so I'll take it. I then dug around in a trash pit located near the outhouse where the property owners have found bottles and pottery on the surface. Pulled out some complete bottles (forget them there though) and a small brass object with silver plating on one side marked 1/10 sterling. I have never seen a marking like this before. Looks older though. That was pretty much it. I will go back the house another time as there is still a ton of ground to cover. Until then, GL and HH Name:  IMG_6039.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  57.0 KBName:  IMG_6038.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  53.6 KBName:  IMG_6031.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  60.9 KBName:  IMG_6030.jpg
Size:  49.7 KBName:  IMG_6033.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  54.1 KBName:  IMG_6032.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  58.2 KBName:  IMG_6035.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  50.7 KBName:  IMG_6036.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  69.3 KBName:  IMG_6037.jpg
Size:  71.7 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

That buckle is really sweet !! Congrats on the large cent. The reverse has some great details left.
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World

Nice set of finds. Man you had the old lantern parts honed in! Love some of the other relics as well (pocket knife, reigns guide etc). Any idea what the little pommel-looking thing is above the pocket knife in the third pic down?

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Nice set of finds. Man you had the old lantern parts honed in! Love some of the other relics as well (pocket knife, reigns guide etc). Any idea what the little pommel-looking thing is above the pocket knife in the third pic down?

John
    I haven't been able to figure it out. The thing below it is a reins guide though
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Shoe buckle part is killer, on my bucket list! Nice copper too!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Very nice finds, I really like the shoe buckle too. It`s on my list.

Veteran Member
    Awesome finds congrats!!!! That buckle is in unbelievable condition. Safe & HH

Thanks everyone for the awesome comments. I still have yet to find a complete shoe buckle though

Your chape and tongue part to that shoe buckle is fantastic looking. I've only gotten one but I was advised by Dan (Del) to try to fit it into a buckle frame when I get one. Nice collection of relics.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Those are really significant finds, very nice!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

the shoe buckle chape and tongue are in great shape and has very nice patina , keep those parts as you can use them or match them up to frames to make complete shoe buckles . congrats on the copper
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    the shoe buckle chape and tongue are in great shape and has very nice patina , keep those parts as you can use them or match them up to frames to make complete shoe buckles . congrats on the copper
    Thanks Dan, the shoe buckle chape and tongue are extremely large compared to my other shoe buckle parts. Heck, they're bigger than two of my complete frames. The person must have had a very large foot. Hopefully I find a big enough frame to match it.

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Thanks Dan, the shoe buckle chape and tongue are extremely large compared to my other shoe buckle parts. Heck, they're bigger than two of my complete frames. The person must have had a very large foot. Hopefully I find a big enough frame to match it.

they progressively get larger and larger due to the fashion until about 1800. here is my smallest and largest shoe buckles together to give you an idea. the largest is almost 5 inches long.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

At least the back of the matron is saved. Like all have said already, the buckle is quite nice.

Very nice variety of finds. That buckle is amazing.
    The only buckles I find around hear say JC Penny on them. LOL
    Congrats
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Nice digs ! Looking at how sharp the points are on that chape, I would say it wasn't used much before it was lost.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That is one fine buckle. Great piece with the pins and all. That would be a highlight in my collection.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter