Thread: New church site

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

New church site

I recently obtain permission to hunt a church property that dates back to the 1880's. The first day started out slow as I was hitting areas that had a lot of fill dirt. There was two pieces of playground equipment in a low area that had slightly different grass so I moved to that area. I hit a deep wheat and the ground was that nice black soil. I knew I had found some old ground. Shortly after the wheat I had another and then my first silver a Merc. I picked up a few more wheats including a 4 wheat spill and another Merc. I also found a small silver spill a war nickel and a Barber dime.

While I was detecting I could see the neighbor was watching me. He finally approach and asked what I was doing and who gave me permission. Once I explained to him who and what he became friendly. He started to tell me about the school that was once on the property and that he had went to school there as a kid. He was about 80yo. He stated he had played on the equipment I was detecting around and that he had rebuilt it a few years ago. I asked him how much fill and grading had been done and he pointed out pretty much the whole area except where I was detecting and a field near where the school stood. I asked him if they played in the field and he said yes we did, in fact we had a ball diamond right over there and that ground has never been touched. Well you can guess I was jumping out of my skin at that point. He finally left and I had about 10 minutes before it was time to leave. So I took one pass across the field and hit a deep 12-45. It turned out to be a Merc. I'm sure you can guess where I was going the next morning.

Day 2 started right where the ball diamond was and withinn a few minutes I had my first silver a Washington. Shortly after that I had a buffalo. I had a steady flow of old coins including a war nickel, Rosie, Merc, several wheats and another Washington. The last coin of the the day was a 1942 1 Franc. It is made out of Aluminum, at first I thought it was silver. A note: The area the ball diamond is in is very low area that is probably wet most of the time. That is why the silver is tarnished.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Fire Fighter 43; 04-21-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Veteran Member
    Nice two day hunt!!! Congrats!!! Safe & HH

Wow, you sure can find those good sites.
    Congrats on an awesome hunt with equally awesome finds.
    I'll be looking forward to your future posts from this site.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Wow, you sure can find those good sites.
    Yes he can!

Looks like you have another "go to" place to hunt for a while Jeff!
    Congrats on all the goodies!

I like the Franc! Even though it's not silver, I like finding old foreign coins.
    I feel they're a more unique find. You'll find lots more Mercs, and even Washingtons, but you may never find another Franc. Cool find!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

boy Jeff ,did you get some good intell congrats on the silver and I also like the 1 franc
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice. Some of those mercs are early. I usually get the intel afterward. As in I get a permission and detect and when I am done for the day I get the "Yeah over there I added fill". The historic arial views tho gave me a perspective on a school site. I saw the baseball diamond changed places over the years. You can see in 1963 it was one spot and the next year it was in another, and obvi 1934 there was no school, instead a house and a few barns. Good luck there.

Your theory on why ballfield silvers are tarnished is intersting! I've found silvers in ballfields that look the same, I think it's either that or maybe even a combination of water and the sand. I notice that's how beach silvers often look.
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Outstanding hunt, congratulations to you.

Congrats on the new permission. Looks like it is a really good one. Congrats on your silvers and 1 Franc
    Whites TreasurePro, Oldest US Coin 1876 Seated Dime, Oldest Foreign Coin 1700's Chinese Cash Coin
    YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/pescadoremetaldetecting