Thread: Colonial buckle dump and...not much else

Colonial buckle dump and...not much else

Tuesday morning I left the house at sunrise to hit some cellars in CT that Isaac and I found while researching. They were deep in the woods and looked like they could have (some) potential. They were pounded but did save a colonial dandy button with shank intact and a gigantic ox knob under a massive rock. LOL! I had class from 2:00-3:15 then I went into Northern RI to try a cellar I had investigated on Friday without a detector. It looked good, no iron on rocks and no dig holes. Well, somebody hit it over the weekend . Nasty plugs everywhere and of course no targets. I left soon afterwards. After school today I went back to CT to try a cellar Isaac found over the aerials this winter. We had high hopes for this site but it was absolutely pounded, not a single non-ferrous target. Looks like all you CT boys wipe places clean So, I decided to head back to the cellar hole in Northern RI where I found my half cent a couple of weeks ago. Slow going first but snagged a dandy button from the former fields. I decided to try an area near the cellar behind a stone wall with only a little bit of dry ground before a swamp starts. Got a nice midtone and pulled out a beautiful piece of flat iron. . I moved about 5 feet away and got a solid 75-78 signal a few inches down. I dug down and pulled out a beautiful colonial shoe buckle frame. My 2nd from that site. I picked up the detector and about a foot away got a midtone. I dug down and pulled out a knee buckle frame! My 2nd ever knee buckle. I moved about 5 feet away and got another high tone this one very shallow. I pulled out another shoe buckle frame this one very thin. Ladies? I then got almost the same signal about 3 feet away and pulled out a mangled, shoe buckle frame. Its complete though. I couldn't believe what I had just found. I then got an iron signal that went to midtone. I dug it and pulled out a dandy button. This little area was producing. I then swung pretty close to the waters edge and got a midtone and pulled out another buckle. I'm not exactly sure what its called but its very familiar. This one is complete but some stuff is broken inside. I think this was a post colonial dump pile where the settlers discarded their shoe buckles because they were no longer in style nor needed. That's just my theory though. Overall this cellar has really produced for me and I will make a return trip in the near future. GL and HH!

Name:  IMG_6042.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  33.6 KBName:  IMG_6043.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  62.9 KBName:  IMG_6045.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  43.4 KBName:  IMG_6044.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  49.1 KBName:  IMG_6046.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  51.2 KBName:  IMG_6047.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  49.1 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Awesome job on those colonial shoe buckles Jim!!!! Those are amazing!!

Veteran Member
    Unbelievable finds congrats. Safe & HH

great score RIdd , you are probably right edges of swamps or streams are great places to find "thrown out" treasures . Swamp was "useless" land to farmers so often they would toss their refuse to build it up and then pull good dirt over the top to use for planting. I love the ornate neck stock buckle . congrats .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    great score RIdd , you are probably right edges of swamps or streams are great places to find "thrown out" treasures . Swamp was "useless" land to farmers so often they would toss their refuse to build it up and then pull good dirt over the top to use for planting. I love the ornate neck stock buckle . congrats .

Dan
    Thanks for the comments Dan! So, that's what the ornate buckle is called, never knew the name. Again thanks for the comment
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Oh man.. Those are beautiful Jim! I'd be thrilled to find one, but holy cow you got a ton of them! I'm sure that return trip Will be productive!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Those are some nice buckles.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Couple of nice buckles, and as usual we learn something from Dan about history. Are you trying to portray that you leave behind targets when you hunt your cellar holes in RI? Lol. Now you know what I gotta deal with here in CT so anything I do find is luck someone missed it earlier. Maybe it was Drew that hit it and took the 1600's coin you would have found. Such an instigator here. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Thanks for the comments Dan! So, that's what the ornate buckle is called, never knew the name. Again thanks for the comment
    yes its worn about the neck , a gentleman when "dressed up" wore a neck stocking (a frilly or silky like cloth about his neck and it was fastened by that type of buckle .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

WTG on all those buckles. Seems that you hit the right spot, have you done any more of the swamp edge???
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Couple of nice buckles, and as usual we learn something from Dan about history. Are you trying to portray that you leave behind targets when you hunt your cellar holes in RI? Lol. Now you know what I gotta deal with here in CT so anything I do find is luck someone missed it earlier. Maybe it was Drew that hit it and took the 1600's coin you would have found. Such an instigator here. lol.
    LOL, I sure hope not. Anyway, I'm glad I got to this cellar hole in RI in time before someone else pounded it to death. When you see random stone walls in the woods concentrated in a small area using the aerials, that's a good sign of a possible cellar. I'm just glad I discovered it before a ton of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    WTG on all those buckles. Seems that you hit the right spot, have you done any more of the swamp edge???
    Thanks! As for the swamp, Only a small section, still a ton of area that I haven't swung the coil over. Hopefully there's more targets

Great work on finding the spot at the sie that had the goodies!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

you did well. Sorry about the state of the state
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

beautiful relics.neck stock buckles are not a common find and I only have dug one as opposed to countless knee & shoe buckles.I was told mainly military used the neck stock buckles
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

That is really cool! I don't ever recall someone finding a bunch of buckles in such a small area.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Wow! some great saves there red. I love Colonial buckles and you scored a bunch of nice oldies
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Thanks everyone! I went back there yesterday for a brief after school hunt and scored an 1818 large cent under a massive rock not far away from where I got the buckles. That's an area I'm gonna concentrate on whenever I go back there again

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Maybe it was Drew that hit it
    Hey! This seems like an 18th-century site....too new for me
    Those are some sweet finds Jim, congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew