Thread: New from NYC...

New from NYC...

Anyone in or near NYC?

I haven't purchased a detector yet but considering either AT-Pro, Whites M6, Or Whites MTX. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

I'll be interested in detecting in NY, Conn, Mass, and NJ. I'll also likely will want to detect beaches on Long Island as well.

I've read that the dirt strata in New England is slow sink, so older items shouldn't be too far down. Do I have that right?

Also- wondering in anyone knows a good 'First hunting ground' closest to NYC area?

Thanks again. I've been researching a bit for the last week or so, but there's a tremendous amount of information out there. I'd like to make a selection on machine and get that ordered within a week or so though. First step.

- Joe

This has been helpful as well:

http://www.######.com/index.shtml
    Last edited by DrWatson; 04-25-2015 at 06:13 AM.

Hi DrWatson,

Welcome to the forum. I live in Westchester County. I cannot help you choose one of those detectors. I know them but never used them.
    If you are looking into beach hunting, you may be interested in looking up the NYC Parks permit. I know there is also a permit for Long Island.

Looking forward to reading your posts.
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World

Welcome from Illinois!

We're glad you joined the forum! The AT Pro seems to be a popular machine, partly due to being waterproof, and we have several Whites MXT users here on the forum as well. I'm a Minelab user and I've never hunted in your area so I can't provide much advice, but hopefully others here can.

Best of luck!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Welcome to the forum, I am from WV and you will find the forum very educational and interesting.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. I think your best choice for a good all round detector is the AT Pro. The other two are also good choices but it's nice to have the option of taking it in the water. Good luck and happy hunting.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Welcome from western MA. I have to agree with the ATPro. Hope you can decipher through all the information out there and looking forward to seeing your finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Welcome from Washington state. Good to have you on board.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Welcome Joe , please let us know just what detector you do get . glad you joined us here !

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Hi DrWatson,
    Welcome from The Lone Star State. I run the ATP and am totally satisfied with it's results on land or in the water. Good luck on your purchase. Good huntin' and God bless you and yours.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Catching up on older posts and missed greating you. Welcome aboard!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!