Thread: First Field Hunt Ever!

First Field Hunt Ever!

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...m-upload_ownerhttp://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...m-upload_ownerA first field hunt, no not mine as I have done hundreds but for my friend Jim Brown. Jim just got into the hobby and has some success with his Ace 350 and recently joined our club the Dayton Diggers. I took Jim to a field that has been good to us to see how it could do. I told him if he was unsure about a signal to call me over and I would check it too. After about 40 minutes he called me over stating “this sounds good” I checked it with my CTX and got the sweet high tone we all love to hear and giving a good 12-45 signal. I told him “better dig this one because if you don’t I will!” You can tell from his happy smile that it was a good one.

https://youtu.be/yIw6CBI1dUU
    He was happy since he dug his oldest coin ever a nice 1917 Mercury Dime!

Now about two minutes later it was my turn as I spotted a small green disc on top of the ground, a nice 1887 Indian Head. When Jim was surprised by a top find I told him “Well when you’re good the coins surrender without a fight!”

I checked on the fields lone resident, a mother Killdeer who closely watches her nest, she has four eggs and I got this shot a couple of weeks ago.

It must be getting close to hatching time as now she will guard the nest constantly, the Killdeer will feign a broken wing and move away from the nest to lure anything they perceive as a threat and if you follow her she will lead you away and then fly away and return. But today she would not leave the nest so we gave her a wide berth so not to disturb her.

We found some buttons and bits of brass and copper and so we moved on to another field where the only good find was a “Lum & Abner Walking Weather Prophet” this was a sponsor’s premium from their Radio show and was made in 1936. Originally there was a type of paper in the insert that would change colors depending on the air conditions.

Here is how it looked originally.

Last edited by Bell-Two; 04-25-2015 at 05:11 PM.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!

That is sooo cool that you find things on the surface! That Lum and Abner weather prophet brings back memories because we had horses in the family named Lum and Abner. I never knew they were named after comic strip characters until just now. Nice job with the hunt and helping Jim!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That field was good to you. I love those Barbers and congratulations on your finds.

Field hunts are just great ! Congrats on your finds.
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World

Great hunt. I'm glad your friend found a good one.
    congrats on all your finds.
    Don
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Very nice, it is always nice when you take out a newbie and he finds a good find. WTG!

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

That's awesome Tony. I was ecstatic when I dug my 1st silver. happy for your friend and now he is hooked for life and only you to blame
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Very cool! Did that killdeer give you the broken wing act?
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Congrats on the great finds Tony. That first silver is a great feeling. I'll bet he looked at it all the way home.
    Last edited by Ronandari; 04-26-2015 at 07:50 PM. Reason: clarification
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Very cool! Did that killdeer give you the broken wing act?
    she did the first time we saw her but this time she kept put so I think they are ready to hatch. She did open her wings to cover the eggs even more.

I love that weather thing! Congrats on getting somebody hooked! really cool when the funds are on the surface. HH!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

“Well when you’re good the coins surrender without a fight!”

Now that's funny....

Good job on getting the new guy his oldest coin and definitely hooked on this hobby.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album