Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1889-O Morgan Dollar, Silver Ring, Indians and More

1889-O Morgan Dollar, Silver Ring, Indians and More

Friday after work, I hunted a house from the 1870s. I hunted a little over an hour and was able to dig a 1946 Rosie, a 1962 Dog tax Tag, and a very small Sterling Ring.

Saturday, it rained all morning, but around 1:00 it started clearing up. Alec and I were going to meet up with Zrickkid to try a couple of houses that he had his eye on. While we were waiting for him, I went up to an older home and got permission to hunt the front yard. We didn't get a lot of good signals there, but about 20 minutes in, I got a 01-41 only down about 4 inches. I cut the plug, and right along the edge I saw a huge silver disc. I honestly thought it was a top of a can or a jar lid. Then I saw the ridged edge. Could it be?? Yep, an 1889-O Morgan silver Dollar. My second one in two years. Wow. The bad news is that this time I scratched it. Made me sick when I saw it. I should have dug a larger plug, I probably would have missed it.
    But you know what, it's still a Morgan. I'm a happy camper.

When Ricky showed up, we went and got permission at an 1857 home with a large yard. I was first on the board with a 1947 Rosie. Alec followed with a nice skeleton key, a 1939 Merc and a 19?? Indian Head. We each dug 4 Wheats there.

We stopped one more time at an 1860s house. I dug a really nice 1890 Indian and then a toasted 1900 Indian.
    I think we'll be heading back tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congratulations Don! I'm really happy for you and I also hate you now! LOL Don't worry about the scratch, we ALL do it. Funny though how I never scratch clad quarters, just old silver. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Congratulations Don! I'm really happy for you and I also hate you now! LOL Don't worry about the scratch, we ALL do it. Funny though how I never scratch clad quarters, just old silver. HH, Dave.
    Yeah, I've noticed that too. My clad always comes out scratch free. LOL
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Wow, outstanding finds. Congratulations to you.

All I can say is

ANOTHER Morgan Dollar!

I am green with jealousy!

I hope to find one someday!

And don't worry about the scratch. As Joe Dirt would say...

Name:  Joe Dirt.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  24.1 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Congrats !!!

I can't believe it's another Morgan out of the ground !

You really had a very nice hunt on Saturday !

Thanks for sharing
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World

Congrats on a major bucket list find on that Morgan. The back of that IH is flawless! It's amazing how those coins can clean up if you find one in the right conditions. I love cleaning IH's.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Way to go Don. Awesome set of finds. The Morgan is a fantastic find (I've yet to find ANY silver dollar) as well as the IH.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Great job pulling the morgan! It's a great coin even with the scratches. I truly do feel your pain since I slightly nicked a morgan I dug last year. It is easy to do when you're 99.9 percent sure you're digging a can or some other piece of junk. As most of those signals turn out to be. Anyways !!!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    WOW!! Another member posting a silver dollar. Congrats on a great find, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

2nd Morgan!!? Can you imagine what it was like to lose one of those? You'd have to have a mighty big hole in your pocket Nice recovery and a huge congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Don't feel bad Don, I scratched a George Washington button and almost cried. Great saves anyway
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Cool finds, that Morgan is just awesome! I can't even imagine seeing something like that in the hole!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Ive yet to find a Silver Dollar. I'll bet it is an awesome feeling. I really love the way your coppers are preserved up in Illinois. Beautiful Indians
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

I will take a scratched one anyday and I love how nice the coppers come out of the dirt here in pa the soiles not so kind to the coppers great finds

Ouch. At least you still got a big silver like that. Another full mason lid shows up and that IH is a lot better shape than the same year 1890 I got. Lol. I just caught a glimpse... Joe Dirt. Awesome, Tony.

Super finds !!!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Amazing Morgan! Huge congrats
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Nice!

How sweet it must feel to dig a silver dollar? I can't answer that cause I have yet to dig one..... Huge congrats on that dig and all your keepers.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album